11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

The BPDA's development review process continues to move along at a breathtaking pace: a mere 1,123 days after the project was proposed . . . there will be a public meeting to discuss it:

https://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2023/11/28/11-21-bromfield-street-public-meeting

(In comparison: the John F. Kennedy presidency lasted 1,036 days)

Oh great another meeting for wealthy, older, white bostonians with a $4 million condo in the neighborhood to complain about how a 300ft building will RUIN their quality of life and create traffic in the downtown of America’s sixth largest urban core.

The meeting will be nothing but a joke, like always, if people don’t show up and fight for something bigger and better.

Oh great another meeting for wealthy, older, white bostonians with a $4 million condo in the neighborhood to complain about how a 300ft building will RUIN their quality of life and create traffic in the downtown of America’s sixth largest urban core.

The meeting will be nothing but a joke, like always, if people don’t show up and fight for something bigger and better.
You can and should sign up and oppose the project on the grounds that it is too short.

I did for Harbor Tower, idk if I can since I dont live in the City of Boston anymore. I totally would if we can get a group together to do this.
You can say you live wherever you think you’d be the most influential, or you can say nothing at all. It doesn’t matter. Say you live at 45 Province.

Why on earth spend time/energy/money to build an office building in this climate…it’s almost like they’ve been in a coma the past 3 years.

Does anybody else think a substantial residential would work better to help activate this area outside of business hours? I imagine something like this, only with a modified base to incorporate the Payless building. They should propose something like this instead of a stumpy office building that completely walls off the good side of 45 Province. I'm sure in hindsight the affected parties at 45 Province would prefer this proposal over the current one.

1699243014750.jpeg

Does anybody else think a substantial residential would work better to help activate this area outside of business hours? I imagine something like this, only with a modified base to incorporate the Payless building. They should propose something like this instead of a stumpy office building that completely walls off the good side of 45 Province. I'm sure in hindsight the affected parties at 45 Province would prefer this proposal over the current one.

View attachment 44247

I believe so, if done correctly. I think if there was better ground level and a good amount of units (instead of .. like 125 penthouse type apartments) it would work best.

Although, some of the projects I work on in Manhattan are replacing street level businesses with these 30-75+ floor towers and are completely sterilizing the neighborhood. They all have the same thing in common… a terrible ground level.

View attachment 44247

I agree that a residential development (or possibly a hotel) would be ideal for better activating this area outside of business hours. That being said, I'm very doubtful that anything higher than 400' will be allowed at this site. During the PLAN: Downtown public comment period, many 45 Province residents voiced significant opposition to a 400' height limit in this area. Some residents were even arguing that 155' should be the maximum height at this location. One Bromfield was always one of my favorite tower proposals in Boston, but I've long since given up hope for a standout tower at this location. At this point, I'm hoping that the current proposal can pivot to residential and get approved.

Last edited:
I'll never understand the hype over Bromfield Street (Silvertone excluded). I probably missed the boat though. I went to Suffolk Law from 1998-2001 and there are storefronts on Bromfield that were empty when I started at Suffolk and are STILL empty today. I'm no retail expert but if you can't fill a storefront in nearly a quarter century, you're probably never going to fill them.
I was told 25 or more years ago that those empty store fronts were owned by Drucker, who uses them as a tax write off. Anyone else hear this explanation? And yes, they've been empty since the fire in the LGBT center building years ago.

Shitty street level is a non-starter, regardless of what's on top. Good street level is exciting.

Here's a summary of the original plan:

It does mention 30,000 square feet of retail. My one massive visual change would be to incorporate the Payless building into the corner using double-height podium floors.

You know what's really exciting? Over 400 new units of housing on a relatively small plot, right in the middle of a flagship downtown neighborhood that has needed a shot in the arm for as long as I can remember.

Back