315 on A | 315 A Street | Fort Point

Re: 319 A Street Rear

Normally I love old brick things, but this one is so "meh, don't care".

7197049128_11840831c0_b.jpg

Of all buildings underway around these parts. I'm most excited about this one. Hoping it works out well.

Is the older brick building in the back part of this project?
656b54bf.jpg

Great photo.

The building in the background with "Alph" on it, and the facade with boarded up windows to the right are all part of one building, 51 Melcher St.

The site of the tower under construction at 319 A St. Rear is on the other side of A Street, behind a historic wharf building "319 A St. Front."

Although the two buildings (51 Melcher and the one under construction) are a few hundred feet apart, technically they are part of the same project. 49,51 and 63 Melcher were filed as one project, and they were linked to 319 when 63 Melcher was identified as the building in which affordable units from 319 would go.

Once the large project was approved, the owner flipped 319 and 63 Melcher to another owner, and 51 Melcher to a third owner, holding on to 49 Melcher.

This project officially breaks ground this Thursday.

Latest groundbreaking set for Seaport District
Boston Business Journal by Thomas Grillo, Real Estate Editor
Date: Monday, July 23, 2012, 1:22pm EDT

Another groundbreaking in Boston’ Seaport District will take on place on Thursday as Gerding Edlen starts construction on the $150 million Boston Wharf Tower.

In 2010, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved plans for the 21-story apartment building, the tallest in the Fort Point neighborhood, with 184 units at 319 A St. Rear. Originally, the project was to be completed by the Archon Group and Goldman Properties. Gerding Edlen, a Portland, Ore.-based real estate company, signed an agreement to buy the permitted project last year.

Seaport is undergoing a seachange. John Hynes started things off earlier this year with construction of an Innovation Center. The one-story, 12,000-square-foot complex will include meeting space, an auditorium, a cafe/restaurant and outdoor plazas and seating areas.

Last month, John Drew, in partnership with J.P Morgan, commenced construction on Waterside Place, a 236-unit housing development in the Seaport. The $120 million, 20-story building will also include 7,000 square feet of workspace for startups and 10,000 square feet of retail.

The Pier 4 project by New England Development of Newton and Hanover Co. of Texas are preparing construction of a 22-story apartment building on one of three waterfront parcels owned by the Athanas family.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2012/07/second-groundbreaking-set-for-seaport.html

Is Menino going to wield the ceremonial excavator or pile driver

Looks as if the project is already well underway

Yeah, I went by yesterday and they already have rebar sticking out of the ground and I believe there is some concrete poured.

I don't like the math I see above. 184 units for $150 million vs. 236 plus workspace and retail for $120 million.

I have a hard time seeing anyone making a profit on A St. rear. Besides the contractors anyways.

Excellent catch Seamus. $815K per unit development cost makes no sense. I'm wondering if the $150M figure is based on an older (and larger?) proposal.

I don't like the math I see above. 184 units for $150 million vs. 236 plus workspace and retail for $120 million.

I have a hard time seeing anyone making a profit on A St. rear. Besides the contractors anyways.

"The project" includes 63 Melcher (38 units), for a total of 240 units. Project cost according to BRA is $100 Million. No retail or other uses outside of ancillary (residential units/lobby/car ramps/parking) on ground floors.

Other costs of this project, not applicable to Massport lease at Waterside Place, were land acquisition and demolition.

Does this math make better sense at $420,000 per unit? No idea.

Anyone got an estimate on how many cranes there are on the skyline now? Two dozen? THREE dozen??

From my office in Kendall I can see 7 on Boston side(2 Victors-tips only, 2 Liberty Mutual, Kensington, Hayward and Berklee - barely)
If I could look from the other side of this building, I'd see 5 in Cambridge(610 Main, Broad, 2 Biogens, Watermark).
Add to this Seaport, Longwood, Allston and, yeah, more than 2 dozen I'd say.

whats the small black crane to the left? I counted 18 cranes in Bos/Cam. fan pier is down to 3,Haywood place still needs to add one.

Last edited:

^ 322-330 Summer is being rehabbed, and they were hoisting equipment up onto the roof the past couple days. I'm guessing new HVAC equipment.

Back