401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

The BBJ reporter should have pushed for more info (maybe she did) from Samuels to find out what they mean by "delaying" or "changing" the phasing.

My thinking of why development might be slowing? End of the economic cycle, is all. (Sorry; my eyes glazed over while reading about the effects of a lower capital gains rate ...)

A shiny new Star market in a brand new development would do very well, especially considering they are the only grocery in that area as far as I recall?

There is a Whole Foods on Beacon Street just over the D line bridge. But yes, it's the only supermarket in Fenway proper (does Symphony WHF count?)

There is a Whole Foods on Beacon Street just over the D line bridge. But yes, it's the only supermarket in Fenway proper (does Symphony WHF count?)

Considering the distance in many urban neighborhoods to get to a market, there's PLENTY of options here already. I understand that affluent young people don't want to have to walk more than six blocks to get their groceries, but there's 2 Whole Foods and a Star right here. Fuck the neighborhood boundaries... what matters is distance.

Okay, giving you the benefit of the doubt that your source is legit:

The "Skanska BK" project was BRA approved in July 2013 but the to-be-replaced BK wasn't demoed until August 2015.
The Pierce was publicly proposed in April 2012 and approved in July 2013, but the to-be-replaced D'Angelo wasn't demoed until May 2015.
But supposedly there are plans to demo multiple active, revenue-generating businesses in April (only four months from now) even though nobody has made a peep publicly yet about any development plans? That doesn't seem to make any sense...

Also, "Elias Enterprise LLC" owns the Gulf lot, while Star Market owns the abutting lower parking lot, and the Shaws and upper lot. So any project here would have to be a joint venture between Shaws and the gas station owner.

Gas station demos can take a very long time due to soil remediation. I wouldnt be shocked if it was the first step. You dont ened BRA approval to remove your business

West,

Thanks for the expository epistle. Very informative.

@ JumboBuc - yes, all of that is correct - and it doesn't make a ton of sense that's its been so quiet, but it has been happening! And it would only be a joint venture if one wasn't selling to another...

@Jass - correct with remediation and correct that one doesn't need approval to close or sell a business.

@JohnAKeith - I've heard that some of the re phasing has included a decision to convert some of the units into condominiums, rather than all rental @ Landmark. Also, he has been doing some significant building envelope work due to old leaks - that is a huge expense to incur on an area you plan on knocking down in a year...

I don't know if it is at all relevant, but it looks like Star Market just closed on a new mortgage for their property on 11/29/16 posted on the Suffolk deeds website.

I don't know if it is at all relevant, but it looks like Star Market just closed on a new mortgage for their property on 11/29/16 posted on the Suffolk deeds website.

too bad.I was in there about a month ago what a shithole.Wegmans,Market Basket or even expensive Roche Bros would be an improvement.

yeah I noticed the Natick store opening was quietly moved from 2017 to 2018. Perhaps it is Wegman's that is slowing their growth.

I saw that too when I was shopping there. Surprising since it was fully approved at least 6 months ago and I wouldn't think it would take that long to retro-fit an existing structure.

Damn shame this parcel isn't getting something like this;

2_View-from-the-Intersection-of-Mass-Ave-and-Boylston-Street.jpg

Every time I look at this proposal, I think that the folks at Handel have been studying Snøhetta and Francine Houben.

I'll say it again, this sort of quiet, thoughtful design, at once contextual and forthrightly modern, is where the bar needs to be set in Boston going forward.

We can't fix the crap in the Bulfinch Triangle and the Seaport, but this level of design could help us move on.

I haven't looked at the Suffolk deeds site for a while, and forget: can you pull the whole mortgage online? If so, does it look like a construction / perm? That'd tell a lot.

Ha, lol. Yes, the loan closed for $13,050,000,000.00 (USD).

It turns out it's related to how much the parent company can borrow against all its holdings, or something like that. Can't post the image but it's on the Deeds site, Book/Page 57179/285

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2017/04/fenway_site_eyed_for_open_space

Emphasis mine:

uwhAAwE.jpg

Samuels & Associates plans to start construction this summer on an approximately one-acre park that would replace a parking lot in front of its Landmark Center property in Boston’s Fenway that’s scheduled for expansion.

The open space will include lawn areas, trees, walking paths, and restaurant seating and other seating at Park Drive and Brookline Avenue.

Samuels, which has been working with the Boston Parks and Recreation Department on the design, needs a sliver of land from the city to complete the project, according to principal Peter Sougarides. The former owner of the property gave the needed 7,800-square-foot parcel to the city in the 1940s for a rotary design that never materialized.

Samuels hopes to finish the park by next summer.

More details are expected in the next two months or so on Samuels’ plans to expand Landmark Center, a 1.5-million-square-foot property with retail, office space, and parking in the former Sears building.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority in 2014 approved Samuels’ plans for a $650 million expansion that was to include 550 new housing units, 110,000 square feet of retail including a 75,000-square-foot Wegmans supermarket, 15,000 square feet of additional office space and an underground 1,500-space parking garage.

Samuels is modifying those plans, partly to respond to market conditions for the different uses, according to Sougarides, who declined to reveal details.

Asked about plans for the Wegmans, Sougarides replied, “We’re still working though that. There are some physical changes to the building that are changing how we do the retail.”

Interesting that they are constructing the park before they start construction on the expansion. Do they not need any of that space for construction of the expanded Landmark? How enjoyable will the park be while construction is ongoing for years on the expansion?

Interesting that they are constructing the park before they start construction on the expansion. Do they not need any of that space for construction of the expanded Landmark? How enjoyable will the park be while construction is ongoing for years on the expansion?

It's probably a nice gesture in advance of needing to get the revised project approved by the neighbors....

I think most of the construction will be in the back/side areas near the parking garage and Bed Bath & Beyond. They should be able to access most of the construction site from Miner and Fullerton streets.

I (and a ton of other people) always cut through that front parking lot when I'm going from Fenway station to anywhere in the neighborhood on or south of Boylston. If the park is well designed (and I suspect that that it will be) it'll make that walk much less awkward.

That grassy area was originally supposed to be a "frog pond" style water feature that would transition into an ice skating rink in the winter.

That grassy area was originally supposed to be a "frog pond" style water feature that would transition into an ice skating rink in the winter.

I'm glad it's an open, grassy space instead. The frog pond works because there is the rest of the Boston Common around it to provide context. If there were just a big pond in front of the Landmark Center it would look odd and out of place.

Back