45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

I'm sold. It's awesome. Is a beer garden going in above the Littlest Bar (that is the name, right)?

The Marliave is building a patio at the top of the steps to the left.

That base makes up for that blank wall. Many other towers look nice from a distance but have boring blank walls at the base. A good streetlevel design is so much more important that a skyline.

Why? The base is sleek, and the restoration of the Littlest is nice, but it's not attracting streetlife - and the street really isn't in need of that, anyway. Meanwhile, the view of the skyline - the backdrop for the entire Charles River Basin and the Boston Common and Public Garden - has been blighted by a giant blob of black. I'd say even reparations couldn't make up for that.

Why? The base is sleek, and the restoration of the Littlest is nice, but it's not attracting streetlife - and the street really isn't in need of that, anyway. Meanwhile, the view of the skyline - the backdrop for the entire Charles River Basin and the Boston Common and Public Garden - has been blighted by a giant blob of black. I'd say even reparations couldn't make up for that.

The base is more than sleek; it fits in and helps a very dominant building transition into a much smaller scale. The street life isn't such a big thing on a back street like this but it could have just been a blank wall (like the back which is fine) that would have dominated the street level.

The blank wall, to me, isn't as bad as people say. It's bad, but I wouldn't hang the developers for it.

Thanks for the shots, Toby. I think this looks quite nice at street level.

Thanks Corey! Toby's needs more to drink NOW....

CopyofL1070908.jpg

Used to be a bar down here somewhere

L1120796.jpg

man I can't stop swerving

L1120799.jpg

L1120804.jpg

hey mister, do you know where I can get a Schlitz tall boy or Gansett GIQ?

L1120801.jpg

looks like some other drunken fool parked his car on the hollow sidewalk/patio...

L1120805.jpg

oh baby, you are the best...you put out a lantern to guide me home

L1120806.jpg

damn. I fell down a hole and some stairs again

L1120807.jpg

my head hurts

L1120813.jpg

where am I?

L1120810.jpg

who am I?

L1120811.jpg

HELP!! lost dog dying of thirst!! someone please call the Animal Rescue League!!

L1120812.jpg

Last edited:

Toby drinking tastes include 3 different cultures. Glad to see the big dog is an equal opportunity drinker. Don't drink and drive!

Great shots Toby, thanks! Maybe we should all have a forum meet at the Littlest Bar once it opens to celebrate one of the more successful recent developments in Boston!

When is this place supposed to open its doors? Legally that is. It seems like lost bassets have made their way through the development already.

Opens Thursday June 11th at 2pm to 'great fanfare'. ribbon cutting by Menino

Great, hopefully more residential buildings = more street activity.

The herald said they were haveing a grand opening today! The top dose'nt look at all finnish or what was proposed?
xxxxx45-1.jpg
today
044-4.jpg

It was on the telly-tube this morning. Big huzzah.

The herald said they were haveing a grand opening today! The top dose'nt look at all finnish or what was proposed?
xxxxx45-1.jpg
today
044-4.jpg

It is but you need to look at it from a different angle.

Article in B&T mentioned that only 20% of the units (28 out of 138) have been sold so far. Although it did say that two just went under agreement last week, so things will probably pick up now that it is open.

Banker & Tradesman - June 12, 2009
Abbey Group Bullish On Prospects For New Boston Condo Tower

By Paul McMorrow
Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

The condominium tower at 45 Province St. in Boston opened its doors Thursday afternoon with only 20 percent of its 138 units sold, but the project's developers, the Abbey Group, are bullish on its long-term prospects and said they can carry the building in the short term.

45 Province St. in Boston "I'm thrilled. We've created the most compelling residential building in the city," said Abbey Group president and COO David Epstein. "Now people can see what it looks like and judge for themselves."

Epstein said his group always anticipated needing some time to sell the building out.
"You don't create a project like this for a moment in time. You do it for the fundamental economics," Epstein told Banker & Tradesman. "There's significant interest in living in downtown Boston, and whether we sell the units today, six months from now, or a year from now, we'll be fine. In the long run, people want to live in downtown Boston. They want to live in a building like this."

He said with the building now open and prospective buyers able to see the views from the building's upper floors, open house traffic has spiked. Two units were placed under agreement last week.
"We're comfortable with the pace of sales at this point," he said. "We've done 100 developments. We understand that you always have to be prepared for economic cycles. You can't time your cycle. What you can do is build the best development, the best project for a site, a product that people will be desirous of, and be patient and work through the cycle."

Chairman and CEO Robert Epstein said when the Abbey Group broke ground on the 32-story residential tower in 2006, many other developers were beginning to put big residential projects on hold.
"Whether it was folly or it was smart, we'll find out," he said. "I think it was smart."

That optimism is based on the bet that, with the market for new condominium development moribund, projects being delivered now will be in a position to tap into pent-up demand in the market - assuming they can carry the costs on their construction loans until that demand arrives. The Abbey Group maintains that they can.

"There's a rebirth going on [downtown]. A lot of things are happening around here," said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who cut the ceremonial ribbon with a pair of oversized scissors. Menino made a passing reference to the hole next to the Filene's building a block away, arguing that other cities in the country had several holes in the ground where development projects have stalled.

"It isn't our fault the economy went south," Menino said. "Boston continues to grow and flourish. We have things finishing off. We're getting things done."

45 Province St. features 24-hour concierge, a screening room, library, catering kitchen, and a two-level residents-only spa with a year-round outdoor pool. Units in the 32-story tower are priced between $716,000 and $4.3 million, and many feature sweeping views of the Back Bay and/or downtown Boston and the harbor.
45 Province Opening
To see exclusive photos of Boston's newest condo development, click here.

I still don't think the top of the building looks done? today
036-6.jpg

I ate brunch on the Marlieve's deck the other day (excellent by the way) and I have to say, everything on Province St looks AWESOME. This building's gone a long way to helping out its street.

Though I can see ablarc's complaint about the missing/extraneous balconies making the building look a little gap-toothed, I don't think it is bad enough to really hurt an otherwise great building. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back