45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prices

Concrete?

Well, that's what you'd expect (demand?) for $1,500 per square foot!

This is how modern condo towers are constructed now. Practically every condo building I see in NY is like this and I'm sure it is the same elsewhere.

ckb said:
Huh, what was the last new construction in Boston using concrete as the superstructure?

The smaller of the Ritz towers, though I don't know it's the latest. What makes builders choose between concrete and steel?

justin

justin said:
ckb said:
Huh, what was the last new construction in Boston using concrete as the superstructure?

The smaller of the Ritz towers, though I don't know it's the latest. What makes builders choose between concrete and steel?

justin

Current market price. Usually.

Sometimes they take into account other things, such as sound proofing for residential, or large open floors for commercial. But usually money is why. Concrete really is a seasonal thing, depending on other construction.

For the tallest of buildings, concrete is not an option because of the difficulty in raising it above a certain level. The top of the Dubai tower will be steel.

This maybe a dumb question, but is terra cotta a durable building material? It seems to me that it cracks easily in winter time, and also absorbs water easily. But as a building material, is the quality different than those shitty terra cotta pots you can buy at the store?

flower pots(sidetracked)

LeTaureau said:
This maybe a dumb question, but is terra cotta a durable building material? It seems to me that it cracks easily in winter time, and also absorbs water easily. But as a building material, is the quality different than those shitty terra cotta pots you can buy at the store?

I think those pots are fired once. The pots that are fired twice are durable.

9/24

img0451ue7.jpg

Glad to see that crane going up. Too bad I detest the GC, Suffolk.

I'd never noticed that the building at the other end of Province St. is like the mirror image of Old City Hall...

Why do you detest Suffolk? Just a question, but to me it seems they really get stuff down quick and done right?

czsz said:
I'd never noticed that the building at the other end of Province St. is like the mirror image of Old City Hall...
I've never noticed it either. It's quite a nice little overlooked gem.

^^ For one, I tried to get an interview set up with them, and when I asked about my unusual graduation date (February), I told them it was because I would need to take an extra half a year to graduate. The recruiter then promptly gave me a deck of playing cards and insinuated I go play drinking games with them, terribly unprofessional.

They also work their people like dogs (6 days a week from 6 to 6 for some). They routinely underbid projects more than the industry standard as well.

wow that is unbelievably unprofessional. I would have been pissed.

Ya, I have no special love for Suffolk. Also, the above mentioned incident occurred at a career fair.

They do get things done, however.

Went by today; they're really moving. Would have taken pics, but I never post them right.

I was talking to one of the construction workers. He said they're also working on the W. both sites require a lot of time in the ground before we get to see the buildings go up, but he expects the remainder of the Province St. building to fly up.

He also said that this building will be all concrete. Does anyone know why?

concrete

In most of the world concrete is the building material of choice. It allows for better soundproofing more flexible layouts and is generally less expensive. Also the floor to floor height is less so more floors can be fit in the same amount of height. Steel has one advantage...longer spans. But that advantage is diminished by the soffitts and drop ceilings that the material demands. In Boston, for whatever reason, there are not enough contractors who are familiar with this manner of construction and therefore costs are higher. On a luxury project the benefits might outweigh the costs.

^
My guess:

Cheaper than steel.

A small floor-print building, so the columns spacing would probably be pretty much the same for concrete and steel.

Though pouring concrete during a Boston winter in contrast to hoisting steel is not likely to make the building fly up.

^Thanks. Keeping up with these projects is a lunch-time hobby for me. I love watching these buildings go up and appreciate what I've been able to pickup hanging around construction sites and browsing around here.

Stellarfun:
"Though pouring concrete during a Boston winter in contrast to hoisting steel is not likely to make the building fly up."

I don't have much to compare it to, but I did watch the Archstone property on Washington go up...everyday was something new and it seemed to me to be mostly concrete. Again...I'm no expert.

nico said:
^Thanks. Keeping up with these projects is a lunch-time hobby for me. I love watching these buildings go up and appreciate what I've been able to pickup hanging around construction sites and browsing around here.

Stellarfun:
"Though pouring concrete during a Boston winter in contrast to hoisting steel is not likely to make the building fly up."

I don't have much to compare it to, but I did watch the Archstone property on Washington go up...everyday was something new and it seemed to me to be mostly concrete. Again...I'm no expert.

^^^
Can it be too hot or too cold to place new concrete?

Temperature extremes make it difficult to properly cure concrete. On hot days, too much water is lost by evaporation from newly placed concrete. If the temperature drops too close to freezing, hydration slows to nearly a standstill. Under these conditions, concrete ceases to gain strength and other desirable properties. In general, the temperature of new concrete should not be allowed to fall below 50 Fahrenheit (10 Celsius) during the curing period.
http://www.cement.org/basics/concretebasics_faqs.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back