45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

Even if they just went ahead and threw the terra cotta and glass facade on that, it would be infinitely better than the garage.

Littlest Bar gets big OK to change site
By Donna Goodison | Wednesday, December 19, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets

The Littlest Bar, a popular Boston watering hole that closed a year ago September, is poised to make a comeback.

The Boston Licensing Board has approved owner Patrick Grace?s request to transfer the bar?s liquor license to a new location at 102 Broad St. in the Financial District.

?He?s a good operator, and it?s really an institution in Boston and something we would like to see continue,? said Daniel Pokaski, Licensing Board chairman. ?It?s well-known not only here, but across the pond in Ireland. People get off the plane, and they look for it.?

But the new version of the Littlest Bar will be larger than the original subterranean Province Street location that opened in 1945 and was permitted for only 38 customers. The 1,600-square-foot Broad Street space is expected to have a capacity of 80 to 90 people, according to Pokaski.

Grace acknowledged the license transfer yesterday, but declined comment. He?s still negotiating a lease for the space in the historic 19th-century building, which previously housed Al Capone?s, a lunch spot known for massive Italian subs and pizza slices.

Grace owned the Littlest for 15 years when he was forced to close it last year to make way for a new high-rise condo tower under development by the Abbey Group.
Link

While I'm glad to see the Littlest Bar reopen, I wish they could have found a spot in DTX. The financial district already has enough pubs, whereas DTX desperately needs more.

...which previously housed Al Capone?s, a lunch spot known for massive Italian subs and pizza slices.
...and roaches...and rats...and food poisoning, don't forget the food poisoning...

I wonder why this development did not incorporate a space for The Smallest Bar?

Though I was unable to snap a picture, it seems like 45 Province Street is already up to the 6th or 7th floor.

looks like it's over 10 floors now

BostonCam-1-8-08.jpg

Does anybody know what is going on at Marliave's?
I just looked in the window and all the booths have been cleared out. :(

The tile floor & tin ceilings were still intact (for now).

Hopefully they are just cleaning and renovating and not doing a gut rehab.

CIMG0018.jpg

IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/jwebbs24/CIMG0017.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, this is moving quickly!! I swear I was just over there 2 weeks ago and saw nothing.

Photo updates courtesy of Tobyjug:

L1050397.JPG

L1050402.JPG

L1050404.JPG

L1050401.JPG

Thanks tobyjug and type001. Keep the photo updates coming!

Whats the height of this thing?

Will the steps at the Marliave be put back?

^^It's odd.

The steps are two sections. The top section is still intact. The bottom section has been replaced with a concrete stairway. Hopefully it is only temporary.

The more important question is, does anyone know if Marliaves will put back?
The booths have all been removed and there are some holes in the walls, but so far the light fixtures, tin ceilings and walls, as well as the tile floor, are all still intact.

According to a BBJ article in September, 2006, the Marliave was shut down because it owed the Department of Revenue about $165k in meals taxes.
I've been involved in sorting out similar business problems for my clients. The DOR blocks the renewal of the liquor license until a payment agreement is reached on the state taxes. The license holder usually acts quickly because failure to do so means business death. And where there is smoke there is fire...when the meals taxes don't get paid, it usually means the landlord and suppliers are getting shorted too. I'd guess you won't see it back.
If we are lucky, the landlord is getting paid by the 45 Province Street developer for rental interruption, and in a year or so some enlightened restauranteur will scrub and reuse the space. I just hope the food is better!
P.S. It will be interesting to see if anyone raises architectural access and barriers questions about the restoration of the Royal Governor's garden steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back