45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

Maybe Marliave should have appealed for public donations? It's a brazen move, but it worked for Toscanini's Ice Cream last week.

Ok feel free to call me ignorant and tell me I don't deserve my Boston accent, but can someone please explain the significance of these steps to me?

As I understand it, the Royal Governor's official manse ("Province House") was located nearby. The steps were the only remnant, and led to what was once the Governor's garden.
There were other Royal Governor's mansions, such as the Shirley House which, though relocated, still stands in Roxbury. The nicest was Gov. Tommy Hutchinson's house in the North End, an Inigo Jones knockoff built around 1688. It was noted for its elegance, especially as Boston architecture lacked the style of buildings in Philadelphia, Virginia and Charleston. The Hutchinson house was sacked by a resentful mob before the Revolution, and purged in 1833.
I don't know if you would call the steps significant, but like the iron railing that was above them and the Littlest Bar next door, they added character to the neighborhood.

There used to be a sign next to McDonald's on Washington Street (in the Jeweler's Building) marking the site of the Province House. Unfortunately, when McDonald's remodeled, the sign disappeared.

I don't know if you would call the steps significant, but like the iron railing that was above them and the Littlest Bar next door, they added character to the neighborhood.
Exactly. When I showed a newcomer Boston, I invariably took this route down the steps. Never failed to get a spontaneous favorable comment.

In the charm and character department, loss of the stair and the Littlest Bar represents a negative barely compensated by the new building's replacement of the godawful garage.

Overall: maybe a bit better than a wash.

^^ Most of the iron remains. (I'll try to get a picture later today)
The Littlest Bar is a huge loss. Moving it to Broad St doesn't help.

And Maliave's food was just fine. Sure it wasn't gourmet but it was good.

And Marliave's food was just fine. Sure it wasn't gourmet but it was good.
Yeah, I thought so too.

In any case, it was a member of a dwindling breed, a hoary Boston relic to go with Durgin-Park, Locke-Ober, the Union Oyster House, Regina's Pizza ... what else?

Mr. Bartley's?

I don't believe that the steps will be lost. It is my understanding that they will be repaired and restored as part of the project.

Yeah, I thought so too.

In any case, it was a member of a dwindling breed, a hoary Boston relic to go with Durgin-Park, Locke-Ober, the Union Oyster House, Regina's Pizza ... what else?

Dini's, the European, Josephs (not Joe's)...The Marliave's food never grabbed me, but I would eat there for the ambiance. Beats the food court at the Corner Mall.

Leading to the stair case (I'm assuming that cinder block structure is temporary:
2228250657_452274415c.jpg

The 'new' concrete stairs:
2228250661_71d66a783a.jpg

The old stone stairs still in place (I was wrong about the iron, unless it is behind the plywood):
2228250671_8cabe6cf32.jpg

Looking down:
2228250683_cf19b4b629.jpg

And now for the good news. As I was taking the following pictures a gentleman told me that "It's reopening soon: and "They are redoing it." I think he also said it will reopen as Marliave's. He was in a hurry so I didn't get to ask any questions.

2228250689_ea37d5d053.jpg

2228250693_e9410ca46b.jpg

Yeah Statler, the concrete block structure is just the temp electrical vault. Columbus Center has one of these too.

Thanks kz.

I figured it was something like that. Good to know the exact purpose.

I think that's great news. Traditions don't have to be great to be good. A few steps, an iron railing and a old restaurant: they have history and they are familiar and that may be enough. My grandmother, my mother and I all have stories about the Marliave. In all of our stories the steps are mentioned. I'm glad it won't be lost.

I think that's great news. Traditions don't have to be great to be good. A few steps, an iron railing and a old restaurant: they have history and they are familiar and that may be enough. My grandmother, my mother and I all have stories about the Marliave. In all of our stories the steps are mentioned. I'm glad it won't be lost.

I remember my mom and dad telling stories about the Marlaive too - those stories were about cockroaches running across plates however ;)

^^ It's call 'atmosphere'.

Or 'ambiance', if you prefer.

:)

Hey, MV -- I remember those stories. Maybe we're related?

Yes, everybody thought the food was so-so -- it wasn't about food, it was about the convenience, the atmosphere and the people. And the alley. And the steps.

We can't keep everything, but some things worth keeping are hard to explain if you didn't grow up with them.

hey man, my parents own a Jewelery Store, so I grew up in the combat zone/diamond district...fond memories of hearing gunshots mid day...ah memories...

if we're related, then you'll fondly remember Ruggles Pizza on Washington St...I say a little prayer every time I walk by the Wendys, which is now in its place.

Hey, MV -- I remember those stories. Maybe we're related?

Yes, everybody thought the food was so-so -- it wasn't about food, it was about the convenience, the atmosphere and the people. And the alley. And the steps.

We can't keep everything, but some things worth keeping are hard to explain if you didn't grow up with them.

The original stairs are being preserved and the iron work as well. Most of the ironwork was left in place and is protected by the plywood. Every piece of the relevent portions of the smallest bar were taken, numbered, and stored as well. There will be some form of "the smallest bar" put back into the original location-not sure about the naming though....
The temporary Nstar vault (CMU structure) will be removed this fall when the permanent power is installed inside the building. The original configuration of the stairs/bar should be returned the following spring.

Great news!

Thanks for the info medfa!

Yes, good news.

MV, I know of Ruggles Pizza but didn't hang there. And gunshots in summer afternoons were not part of my upbringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back