761-793 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Poor Boston.com. That's an outdated image. David Manfredi presented a new proposal for the upper five floors on Monday that better aligns the upper fenestration with the existing C&B facade, modified the corners, and has a different material treatment on the east and west walls. I old and don't know how to link a pic on my phone, though.

Poor Boston.com. That's an outdated image. David Manfredi presented a new proposal for the upper five floors on Monday that better aligns the upper fenestration with the existing C&B facade, modified the corners, and has a different material treatment on the east and west walls. I old and don't know how to link a pic on my phone, though.

Now I see why you had such empathy for Boston.com. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The update you're referring to:

As per usual, I preferred the originally-rendered materials. The existing buildings here deserve better than grey alucobond above them.

Kind of feel like they should do something with the empty space on the roof of the existing building. Or make the building bigger.

Kind of feel like they should do something with the empty space on the roof of the existing building. Or make the building bigger.
Joe Lewis's lawyer said it's deliberately set back so they stay within as-of-right so basically, people can nitpick finish and balconies and the like, but they are good to go. The only variance request is the one everyone does when working in the GCOD. That's pretty unusual, in my experience.

Yea it's fine. I'd love to see the Capital One building redeveloped at some point. Could be a nice little slim five or six story corner building.
Or 10 stories, with true penthouses facing the Charles.

Why the jagged/inconsistent panels on the side?! It looks awful. Can't we find a new architect to use in Boston?

Approved

Boylston Street project will preserve historic integrity while adding housing and office space
1674007134538.jpeg

The project at 761-793 Boylston Street will add nine new units of housing and 26,634 square feet of office space all while preserving the building’s historic facades. All existing facades will remain in place while a five-story, mixed use, building is constructed from the interior. The existing restaurants, Abe and Louie’s and Atlantic Fish, both tenants of space inside the project boundary, will be preserved.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/bpda-approves-nine-new-development-projects/

Approved

Boylston Street project will preserve historic integrity while adding housing and office space
View attachment 33154
The project at 761-793 Boylston Street will add nine new units of housing and 26,634 square feet of office space all while preserving the building’s historic facades. All existing facades will remain in place while a five-story, mixed use, building is constructed from the interior. The existing restaurants, Abe and Louie’s and Atlantic Fish, both tenants of space inside the project boundary, will be preserved.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/bpda-approves-nine-new-development-projects/

9 units of housing LOL. gotta avoid triggering that IDP threshold

I find it interesting that Tavistock is actively marketing the former C&B retail space, despite the fact that this was approved by the BPDA some time ago. Joe Lewis is worth some $4.3B, but he’s delaying this drop-in-a-bucket project that would hugely expand his retail/restaurant revenue stream at Abe’s and Fish.

It will inevitably go through a few revisions being in the Back Bay... Could use a cornice, and a better material/treatment of material for that red-orange part.
Turns out I was wrong...

As it stands now, it looks like a cut-rate motel on Daytona Beach. The side facade is all wrong for this spot in terms of hue, pattern, and material. The front facade is tolerable, but needs a crown/cornice that wraps around to the side. And the dumb and over-used alternating windows can also go

Back