93 Mass Ave (Other Side Cafe) | 93-97 Massachusetts Ave | Back Bay

Re: 93 Massachusetts Ave

Does The Other Side Cafe remain, or get demolished, in this new plan?
From the looks of the rendering the Otherside and it's legions of hipsters have fallen to the wrecking ball.

really what is the point of the new addition?
It's a good infill building in a nice location and improves the look of the building from that side of Mass Ave. I don't see a problem with it. Though to Ablarc's point they lost some SF just to build a terrace overlooking the Pike.

The amount of pain the owner had to go through to get this approved ...

Correct me if I'm wrong John, but I got the impression it was relatively painless getting this approved. I thought the pain came when he proposed something that required variances, right?

Although I haven't been there in a good 10 years, it would be very sad to see the Other Side Cafe go. My friends and I went there at least 3 times a week when we were attending BU (and a couple years after) in the late 90s. In fact, we had a tradition to go there every Sunday night after the Simpsons and X Files were over.

I have to make sure to get there a few times before it closes.

Correct me if I'm wrong John, but I got the impression it was relatively painless getting this approved. I thought the pain came when he proposed something that required variances, right?

They could have proposed picking up gum off the sidewalk and the Harvard Club and Eliot Hotel would have fought them on it. The success of 100 Massachusetts Avenue helped get them support from the city and BRA (that was a LEED certified building, which was cool at the time, and very well-executed), but the neighbors of this property are pompous assholes. In my opinion. Variances, aside the neighbors are against anything.

this really sucks-- i was just at the other side a week or so ago, looking through all the awesome industrial age ruin overhead and out the back window and being very happy that there was still room for stuff like this in boston and back bay.

Soon it will just be another memory, and one less thing keeping me from moving to nyc, chicago or toronto......

Good riddance then. Seriously, this city would be better off without the people who still consider that place to be of any value. Yes, it was fun five years ago, in limited doses but now it's like a retirement home for all the heroin-addled bicycle couriers. If you walk in for a quick afternoon pop dressed in anything other than sprayed on jeans and a smelly purple hoodie from the good will, you'll get a brief, cold reception and then be summarily ignored by some Berklee twit who's still going to be paying her rent playing a mandolin in Harvard Square when she's 40.

Good riddance then. Seriously, this city would be better off without the people who still consider that place to be of any value. Yes, it was fun five years ago, in limited doses but now it's like a retirement home for all the heroin-addled bicycle couriers. If you walk in for a quick afternoon pop dressed in anything other than sprayed on jeans and a smelly purple hoodie from the good will, you'll get a brief, cold reception and then be summarily ignored by some Berklee twit who's still going to be paying her rent playing a mandolin in Harvard Square when she's 40.

wow.... how often do you wear out shoes carrying around a chip that big? Trust me, no one in this city is one-tenth as concerned about you as you think they are. I'm in my mid thirties, bald (unironically, at that), married, and dress like an adult, and I've never been mistreated there. The food is solid and creative, a great beer selection, the staff are friendly and it has a great vibe. Sure the crowd trends to the young, but its not like a college student center, there's plenty of diversity (unless you don't want to see it I guess).

But seriously, to just summarily dismiss me and anyone who happens to go there? Get bent.

Sarcasm maybe?

Who goes anywhere but a convenience store for a quick afternoon pop?

Pop as in a beer or cocktail, often times consumed in an expedient manner.

It's not sarcasm, the place is an eyesore, I've never had a good experience there, the staff and clientele are humorously pathetic and it could be better utilized in other ways. Perhaps my opinion was a little more forceful than it needed to be but I don't like the place and I'm not one to beat around the bush. Its only positive attribute as I saw it was that the staff was so out to lunch you could get up and leave without paying and not get noticed. Not that I did this, but in retrospect I should have.

The bigger questions is where are all the hipsters going to hang out and pretend that they are or ever were cool now?

I love the Other Side. I dont look forward to bringing in another Best Buy, Starbucks or CVS, which is probably what will move into that space.

Probably another Bank of America.

An update!

Room and Board is expected to open next year in the redone space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r....html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-06-27

And as to the area along Newbury St:

he multi-level showroom will also feature a new, contemporary glass structure at the rear. The building will also include a second-floor terrace and a sidewalk area that will display a selection of modern furniture and accessories from the company’s outdoor collection.

Is this at the former Best Buy?

Across the Street, where there used to be the Other Side cafe, an indian restaurant and a south-east asian restaurant.

Across the Street, where there used to be the Other Side cafe, an indian restaurant and a south-east asian restaurant.

Also a Futon/Mattress Store

8556762446_9a4f624250_b.jpg

Back