Academic Building @ Suffolk U | 20 Somerset Street | Beacon Hill

Re: Suffolk Plans for Beacon Hill Arts Center

I too hope the MDC building stays and is fixed up. Looking at that latest rendering, it appears the building is orientated toward ashburton place's plaza and a blank wall faces Somerset St.

Last edited:

If it is retained, I hope it gets central air conditioning.

Article in this week's Suffolk Journal says that the Herald published the story based on rumors and the building has not officially been put on hold. However, they are considering what to do next over the coming 6 months. It only strengthens the feeling I have that they're putting consideration into Filene's, though. I think they're weighing the possibility pretty heavily.

I'd post it, but I'm lazy and for some reason it wasn't placed on the website yet with the others.

Through the grapevine: Suffolk could sell off 20 Somerset in order to fend off the potential deficit coming up. At the very least, there's no funds to do anything but sit on this for a while. I overheard this from someone who was talking about something he overheard, so I don't know. But I'd believe it right now.

I only wish these jokers had figured this out before they gutted 20 Somerset. Their irresponsbility here is reminiscent of Vornado and Filene's.

Hoping the building will be salvaged -- it's one of the few decent structures in the immediate vicinity, which is dominated by atrocious government / urban renewal buildings.

Was the interior of this building anything special, or would any subsequent tenant likely have gutted it?

Not sure if there was anything worth saving inside, but once the interior is gutted and the windows gone, it seems like a more difficult proposition to expect a future (still non-existent) tenant to commit to preserving the building.

the lobby had a few interesting art deco flourishes...brass work around the elevators and such...but the rest of the building could not be more unremarkable.

NESAD NO LONGER MOVING TO 20 SOMERSET
April 4, 2012 · by Soleil Barros

Students attending New England School of Art and Design are generally pleased with many of the programs offered at the art school, but are increasingly unhappy with the facilities and disconnection from the larger Suffolk campus.

NESAD, located at 75 Arlington St., had been set to move into the heart of the main campus, at 20 Somerset St. across from the Sawyer building. Now, the fate of this building has become questionable, as renovations have halted. Recently, President McCarthy broke the news to full-time faculty and program directors at a meeting hosted in the Arlington Street building, according to an email received by the Journal originally sent by Department Chairman Bill Davis.

Expressing his disappointment, Davis’ email adds that “President McCarthy indicated that current plans call for us to temporarily extend our stay at 75 Arlington St. beyond December 31, 2013 in order to allow time to find a long-term solution to our facilities issues.”

Students, according to recent interviews, continue to express their displeasure of staying put in the current building.

“NESAD is basically composed of three floors in a random business building, we feel very disconnected from the Suffolk University campus,” expressed freshman Nielle Alfred. “Things as small as sitting through a three to six hour studio class, and not being able to purchase food with the meal plan in the building is a small disappointment.”

NESAD does not allow students to use their RAM accounts while dining at the current Arlington location. Throughout the course of the year, this factor alone can be additional stress for the average art student. Purchasing food every day at hiked prices not having enough time to return to Beacon Hill’s main campus to grab lunch in one of the Sodexo provided cafeterias, can be a growing expense for a NESAD student to handle.

The 20 Somerset building may have solved many of these problems. An April 13, 2011 article in the Boston Herald states that the former Metropolitan District Commission building would have been replaced by a 10-story, state-of-the-art facility which would have included “450 seats for art school classes and another 400 for general classroom use.”

According to the March 2009 SUN faculty newsletter, the new facility at 20 Somerset was to includes a glass façade, full media technology, energy-efficient lighting and heating, art studios, faculty offices, a public art gallery and critique spaces. The building was designed by architecture firm Chan Krieger Sieniewicz and was expected to cost $68 million.

Former plans for the site were to include a high-rise dormitory which was withdrawn due to “neighborhood opposition,” according to the Herald.
With many unaware of the prior plans to relocate the NESAD facilities, students are still content with the courses and faculty support provided by the art school. With strong fine art, graphic and interior design programs, students are also able take classes at the other colleges within the university.

“I’m taking psychology courses at NESAD because I have plans to hopefully pursue a graduate degree in Art Therapy at the School of Visual Arts in New York City,” said Alfred. “My next few years with NESAD will be in preparation for that.”

Students starting their education at NESAD test the waters based on the school’s reputation, despite their current disconnected location.
A meeting, hosted by the recently-started Suffolk University Critical Thinkers, will take place at 3 p.m. on April 13 in NESAD room 259, allowing students to voice their opinions to Davis on the future of the school.

http://suffolkjournal.net/2012/04/20-somerset-project-axed/

I never thought much of this NIMBYfied Suffolk proposal and I'm glad it's dead. It would have been less than what it replaced. This block is such a giant wart on Beacon hill. Hopefully whatever replaces this proposal helps rectify this.

Suffolk%20Classroom%20Building.jpg

$62 million classroom building for 20 Somerset.

From behind the Globe paywall.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...6EbIw0NhCNHWbfBFJ/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

The university, which has committed to keep its enrollment at current levels, will sell the Fenton building on Derne Street and the Ridgeway building on Cambridge Street. The future use of those buildings remains uncertain, but some area residents have been looking for locations for an elementary school to serve the neighborhood.

Suffolk will convert portions of the nearby Archer and Donahue buildings into administrative offices, but the buildings will no longer host classes, thus eliminating daily student traffic.

I'll believe it when I see it. The Administration keeps giving the school paper the stiff arm on this. The university's financials are/wer in rather dire straits and adjustments have/had to be made. I don't think selling two buildings will cut it. Also, I don't see why we need even more administrative offices. We'll be losing three buildings full of classrooms, and they're only building one classroom building, which is for the art school. Suffolk sucks.

The Globe article includes a glaring mistake: there won't be 1,300 classrooms, there will be classrooms for 1,300 students.

I'm happy they plan to move forward. The DTX can use more vibrancy, and more students will give the neighborhood more focus.

BTW, the Globe article includes this idiotic statement:

“For the residents in the area, it’s become the equivalent of living on a college campus,” said State Representative Martha Walz.

Unless she means bucolic Salve Regina or Harvard Univeristy.

I hope Suffolk with either keep the C. Walsh theatre, or sell it to someone who will retain it as a theatre.

Woah, Sert rises from the grave!

I hope Suffolk with either keep the C. Walsh theatre, or sell it to someone who will retain it as a theatre.

It is a part of the Archer building, and may even extend into the Donahue building (they're practically one whole building), which are becoming administrative offices. So yes, they'll be retaining it.

Also, upon checking the article again, I see that the art school is no longer moving into this new building. So now it makes a lot more sense. Although I still don't see the need for more administrative offices...

Is that rendering for real? It looks like some sort of snotty comment on favela architecture by an architect-cum-intelligentsia poseur (not sure what the proper noun for a member of the intelligentisa is ... in Russia, the country that gave us the term "intelligentsia," such a person is called an "intelligent").

Reminds me of this: http://www.archdaily.com/29408/alternative-for-53-west-53rd-street-axis-mundi/

This part of Beacon Hill is wretched - the postwar / urban redevelopment clunkers that dot (and destroy) the microneighborhood are overwhelming. The old MDC building here is one of the few touches of elegance in the area. It's a shame that a university (run by its own share of intelligenty-poseurs) would so proactively stamp out one of the few remaining decent buildings in the immediate area and replace it with this slipshod, borderline incomprehensible pastiche - I can't help but think this mind-bogglingly incoherent rendering is for shits and giggles.

I thought it was rather contextual. And will hide in the shadows of its neighbors.

I like the rendering. It brings lighter hues to the area and is a might draw attention to the perpetually and truly ugly state office building behind. How on earth did that mess get built so close to the crest of Beacon Hill? I've hated it since it was first conceived and has ruined the entire neighborhood on this side of the hill. Almost anything would be an improvement in this area.

Back