Aerials

^ Lipstick on a pig. Still too many lanes of traffic.

I disagree. As someone who enjoyed all 4.5 years of construction every single day, it works much much better, as a pedestrian, a cyclist and as a driver. Especially as a pedestrian, theres no fixing the red sox clusterfuck if you're driving.

Well, there is, it's called making parking much more expensive. But Im referring to the road geometry.

I think Charlie_mta's point was that better =/= best.

I like what was done at Kenmore Square, it's just that the aerial photo displays the cramming in of multiple street lanes and the bus lane. There is no "square" there, just lanes upon lanes. Would've been nice to narrow up the trafficways, and create an actual "square" somewhere in that maze.

Well, at least there's a trillion dollar bus shelter.

Anyone else think the MIT campus is a travesty? I took a trip down there as part of my architect class field trip, and I have never seen a campus more unwelcoming besides parts of BU. Many of the buildings only have a single entrance, the rest of the building faces cold pavement. There's a moat-like trench that surrounds another building and many of the building's architecture clashes and does not complement each other.

Really? Most of MIT's buildings have so many entrances and exits that it can be confusing to find the one you really want.

What exactly did you find unwelcoming about BU?

There are many ways to criticize BU, but I dont think unwelcoming is one of them. Every non-residential building is open to the public.

What exactly did you find unwelcoming about BU?

There are many ways to criticize BU, but I dont think unwelcoming is one of them. Every non-residential building is open to the public.

Sorry, not unwelcoming, I meant like lack of centralizing. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe cohesive? I don't know how I mixed those two.

Sorry, not unwelcoming, I meant like lack of centralizing. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe cohesive? I don't know how I mixed those two.

Oh, thats makes sense.

Personally, I think thats one of the highlights of BU. Its not a semi-closed off campus like BC, but its not hiding like emerson.

Anyone else think the MIT campus is a travesty? I took a trip down there as part of my architect class field trip, and I have never seen a campus more unwelcoming besides parts of BU. Many of the buildings only have a single entrance, the rest of the building faces cold pavement. There's a moat-like trench that surrounds another building and many of the building's architecture clashes and does not complement each other.

It's pretty unwelcoming if you're an outsider. There's even a space between two courtyards that would be a natural path, but MIT cut them off with a glassed-in corridor that requires swipe access just to pass through, meaning you need to go all the way around (from Mass. Ave. practically to Kendall) to get from one side of the main cluster of buildings to another.

Some MIT people told me there are doors other than the main Mass. Ave. entrance that are open to outsiders on a semi-regular basis, but the fact that these entrances are neither marked nor consistently open means it's pretty difficult to rely on them.

"Unwelcoming" is perhaps an apt word for MIT, but only partly because of the difficulty of passing through. To me, a Cambridge resident who has nothing to do with MIT, the campus is a huge dead zone occupying a great location. Because I almost never have reason to be at MIT, from my perspective it's basically another geographic obstacle to cross between Cambridge and Boston, like the river but with less of a view.

I've always liked the semi industrial stretch of Mass Ave between Central and the "Infinite Corridor" entrance of MIT. Obviously the land-banked parking lots are travesties, but I enjoy the train tracks, the Necco factory, Kresge auditorium, and that block of apartments where Back Bay 2.0 was to begin.

^ I like it too, but of course there are a lot of railroad crossings and factories in greater Boston, and only one Back Bay. I wish 2.0 had been built.

ok here we go I put em up on a different website I got some amazing pictures on a helicopter tour yesterday check em out

069.jpg

075.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg