Aerials

Really? Rather than have an amazingly convenient airport?

Also, it wouldn't really have saved much developable land, most of Logan being built on landfill.

great aerials! never seen east boston like that before.thanks

The airport is necessary, all great cities have a major port nearby.

Its not perfect though, the logan southern surface parking lots could easily be developed, and the central lots could hold a hotel on top.

Ie, the undeveloped parking slabs seen in image 18

Yeah but usually not that nearby, to the point where it dicates heights of buildings downtown. Logan is the reason the dt skyline has a flat top at 600' and why the Seaport is stub city.

My ultimate development dream for Boston is for Logan to get replaced. Doubt I'll ever see that, but I'd gladly trade the convenience of its location for less restrictions on development.

Maverick Square is a suburban parking lot with a sheet metal quonset hut stuck in the middle:

2-18-10_east%20boston_stock_4655-133%20copy.jpg

Yeah but usually not that nearby, to the point where it dicates heights of buildings downtown. Logan is the reason the dt skyline has a flat top at 600' and why the Seaport is stub city.

My ultimate development dream for Boston is for Logan to get replaced. Doubt I'll ever see that, but I'd gladly trade the convenience of its location for less restrictions on development.

Height isn't everything. We'd have a much better city (Seaport, in particular) if we developed in a lower-rise fashion with all our attention focused on maximizing the street-level experience. I'd rather we follow the London model of urban planning and design than the NYC model. The presence of Logan just across the harbor is an asset of much greater value than the dozen or so Empire State Buildings that could be built if Logan were located in Framingham. As it stands, Logan is where it is. We had better stop fighting that and focus on developing our city as a collection of spaces and not a collection of icons.

The presence of Logan just across the harbor is an asset of much greater value than the dozen or so Empire State Buildings that could be built if Logan were located in Framingham.
I dont buy it. Most cities do just fine without an airport 5 minutes from downtown. And regardless of convenience to downtown, Logan is just an awful airport. The sooner it goes the better.

Boston will need to expand someday and this will be the final frontier. Just probably not in my lifetime. It would be amazing to see towers on both sides of the harbor...

Funny, I've never once had an issue with Logan. I prefer it over most airports I've been to, especially that new Delta terminal (A?).

Maverick Square is a suburban parking lot with a sheet metal quonset hut stuck in the middle:

No it isn't. Have you ever been there? That's the entrance to the Blue Line and bus turn around. East Boston is more urban than most of the rest of Boston.

I'd rather we follow the London model of urban planning and design than the NYC model.

Right now the urban planning vision of London is building supertall structures wherever it can. Occasionally there's a docklands redevelopment project that's basically like the Seaport but more pedestrian-friendly.

I wish we had more examples of wealthy western cities building organic, small-scale neighborhoods from the ground up. We have limited precedent in Amsterdam only.

Right now the urban planning vision of London is building supertall structures wherever it can. Occasionally there's a docklands redevelopment project that's basically like the Seaport but more pedestrian-friendly.

I wish we had more examples of wealthy western cities building organic, small-scale neighborhoods from the ground up. We have limited precedent in Amsterdam only.

You might enjoy this london project

4732647306_626cac457b_b.jpg

2rei4w4.jpg

What is that? A mall with a grand staircase?

Definitely a mall, there's a Westfield sign on the construction fence.

I like the grand staircase, to a point. It would be a cool feature for a stadium or something of the sort.

Its not perfect though, the logan southern surface parking lots could easily be developed, and the central lots could hold a hotel on top.

Ie, the undeveloped parking slabs seen in image 18

They'll be completely redoing this section of the airport starting in August, the whole thing will be ripped up and replaced with a parking garage for the rental car companies to share. http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/07/09/suffolk_construction_wins_logan_job/

This document has a rendering of the plan on page 11: http://www.aci-na.org/static/entransit/Reilly--Boston%20Proposed%20Consolidation%20of%20Rental%20Car%20Operations.pdf

So Boylston in West Fenway was shitty even back then? Was anything ever built on that street or was it always a dusty semi-suburban wasteland?

Would be nice to have that bit of Newbury St back. I'm mildly shocked to see the surface lot behind the Hotel Commonwealth has survived at least 65 years!

czsz said:
So Boylston in West Fenway was shitty even back then? Was anything ever built on that street or was it always a dusty semi-suburban wasteland?

It's the same story as with BU's land: almost invariably, the parking lots we know today have been parking lots since the land was laid out.

New satellite imagery is available with google. Based on the bike lanes, the images are at most, 3 months old.

Old:
kenmoreaerial2.jpg

New: (google earth, should be in maps by monday)
kenmoreaerial1.jpg

Back