Aerials

I live in Manhattan right along the East River. The neighborhood doesn't really have a name (though it is near a lot of Banker douche bags)

lol! I guess I should of put NYC on the top pix instead of at the bottom!

Shouldn't Enchilladas be Lo Mein (Sunset Park)? And isn't there also an Ikea between it and the Yuppies?

There is an Ikea in Red Hook. And last time I was in Sunset Park it was pretty Hispanic.

I guess it's divided:

"Brooklyn's Little Latin America"

Sunset Park's second age began with a wave of immigration from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Mexico as well as other Latin American countries. By 1990, Hispanics comprised 50% of Sunset Park's population, rehabilitating property values and developing a thriving community. Along 5th Avenue there is an abundance of Hispanic restaurants and businesses.

Brooklyn's Chinatown(布鲁克華埠)/Emerging Fuzhou Town(福州埠)

Since the 1980s, the neighborhood has attracted many East Asian immigrants, along 8th Avenue from 42nd to 68th Street. Some claim the reason the Chinese settled on 8th Avenue is because in Chinese folklore, the number eight is lucky for financial matters, and "8th Avenue" can be loosely interpreted as "road to wealth". Another explanation is the direct subway ride to Manhattan's Chinatown(紐約華埠) on the N/R and D lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_park

Photo by Jules Aarons

aarons_15.jpg

An aerial that corresponds with Statler's pre-urban renewal aerial above:

oneil.jpg

The "el" was still standing, which provides a reference feature between the two photos. The buildings along the south side of Causeway Street are still the same.

^^ Nice connection, Charlie.

Cripes, the O'Neil Building is a dog.

Me likey.

I was sure that was the historic bar near the Pagano Mobil Station near the Trial Courthouse.

Anyway, here are two other views - first is using Google Earth and the second is Google Maps, to give you an idea of where it's situated.

causeway_google_earth.png

causeway_street.png

The truly sad part is that the industrial land on either side of 93 is better served by the Orange Line than the majority of residential communities pictured here.

Back