Aerials

Another found photo

1691263240578.jpeg

Some amazing views in this drone footage of the 302-year-old golden rooster weathervane atop the spire of the First Church in Cambridge.

This pic reminds me of an image Stephen Dunwell's "Extraordinary Boston" that's been buried in a box of mine for ages. There's similar sunrise golden hour shot from the harbor, looking west capturing the entire city all the way west to Watertown and Waltham. In the 2-page spread, One Lincoln didn't exist yet but the crane is there. The tower cranes were put up the week before 9/11 and the leaves are still green. For me, it's a very specific time capsule of Boston and my early days working and living in the city.

Anyway, I can remember vividly looking at that picture, for years, thinking of all of the projects in the pipeline at that moment. People at that time were predicting "the end of cities" (even the Big Dig had years left to go) and wondering what Boston might be like in 5-10-15-20+ years. And here we are.... not without faults, but extraordinary indeed.

This pic reminds me of an image Stephen Dunwell's "Extraordinary Boston" that's been buried in a box of mine for ages. There's similar sunrise golden hour shot from the harbor, looking west capturing the entire city all the way west to Watertown and Waltham. In the 2-page spread, One Lincoln didn't exist yet but the crane is there. The tower cranes were put up the week before 9/11 and the leaves are still green. For me, it's a very specific time capsule of Boston and my early days working and living in the city.

Anyway, I can remember vividly looking at that picture, for years, thinking of all of the projects in the pipeline at that moment. People at that time were predicting "the end of cities" (even the Big Dig had years left to go) and wondering what Boston might be like in 5-10-15-20+ years. And here we are.... not without faults, but extraordinary indeed.

The full gallery from the book is here, but it is the revised edition and not great quality without a log-in.

This pic is the closest approximation I could find to your description, but it looks like it's from ~2008.
1701140551353.png

The full gallery from the book is here, but it is the revised edition and not great quality without a log-in.

This pic is the closest approximation I could find to your description, but it looks like it's from ~2008.
View attachment 45069
Yea, that's pretty much the view. I found my book, and it's the 2002 edition. One Lincoln was just the tower crane. Nine Zero, a nearly complete concrete shell. The InterContinental was yet to rise out of CAT exhaust vents - and the Central Artery still very much in action. Crazy to think that SST is finally rising now, 20+ years later, and Harbor Garage is um, maybe still a faintest chance in our lifetime?

If I was tech-savvy enough, I'd take that 2002 do a time-lapse progression to 2008, then to today. But I'm not. 😅

An hour ago. Missed a great shot bc my buddy’s phone was frozen. Grrrr (Edit: to be clear, I still really like the shot -- otherwise I wouldn't have posted it -- it's just that a few moments earlier we were more centered on the skyline and al ittle closer).
47A8C549-BADE-4E91-8DD0-A389A6C315F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Its cool to see Union's little skyline coming into being.

Back