Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

?

All that was specified in those days was that buildings had to be 16 feet back from the lot line.

I think you missed my earlier point.

point out that Newbury Street in no way had 20 ft setbacks of grass

My point is if you go to Newbury Street, there are setbacks, but only virtually. As in patio or stairs or something like that. I'm pretty sure when Matthew said they want 20ft of setback, they want 20ft of setback of grass and only grass. At least that's how Matthew seem to picture it.

This gem has been approved for 458-460 Washington st. near brighton center.

24 units. Looks like just under 30 surface parking spaces :rolleyes:

458-Washington-St_July-2012.png

Right in my neck of the woods. A funeral home that closed up shop last year currently sits there. I had no idea there was a buyer for the property, let alone a proposal already in the works.

The rendering gives little feel for how it'll sit on the property, but if that white blob to the right is a car and the rendering is oriented the way I think it is (looking west) then they'll be putting the parking right on Washington and the building will be tucked away behind. Yay.

Ohhhh ok that makes way more sense. I was imagining they were going to demolish the old house and parking would go in its place but the site plan shows it staying. Crisis averted.

With that out of the way, I'll say that it's really tucked away back there, and will have virtually no impact on Washington Street other than there being a few more cars using the existing driveway. Overall this is a good thing -- replacing a parking lot with housing while slipping into the neighborhood undetected. They call these "found opportunities."

Sorry no new pics (was zipping by on a bus) but fencing is up around the site and demolition is beginning on 375 Market Street.

Here's a pic from May:

7235956956_29bd970ab7_z.jpg

Well I got to use the new emergency wing at St. E's today. Not much to comment on, but at least the insides don't match the outside in ugliness. I also learned that the hideous blisters on my face are shingles, aka adult chickenpox. But in other news...

7633479602_e1ef1288e9_b.jpg

^
I got it in my early 20s (which was, like, previous millennium).
Not too bad.
And it's supposed to not happen again. In theory.

Where'd you get it? Mine is on the left side of my face and I'm getting shooting nerve pain all over my head. They gave me Vicodin for the pain and while it's better, I now feel like a jello zombie.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Mine was mainly torso. No pain, just itching and general discomfort... Not a big deal, really... Took at least 2 weeks, though...

I got it to when I was 45 yrs old,really sucked they said I should have gotten it later in life,glad I got it earlier than later,stress was the cause of mine,very painful,good luck!

Anyone know more about why it seems that restaurants have had such bad luck at the Harvard/Comm Ave intersection? It's a bit disappointing to see a bank go in, what with the limited hours and minimal street activation. The old Kelly's on the northwestern corner of Harvard and Comm Ave has been vacant for quite some time now as well. My only thought is the rent must have been astronomical in both cases?

The Kelleys space might be too large to be viable. I did hear something is moving in, though, some sort of Asian sandwich joint? Someone here may know.

As for former UNOs, i think it's just too difficult to cross Comm Ave. Truly a pedestrian nightmare. This segment of road very badly needs reconstruction. I also don't get why the T tracks must have pedestrian barriers on the B and E lines - very restrictive and unfriendly - and yet on the C line it isnt necessary (and I don't recall any pedestrian-trolley run-ins).

An interesting observation about the lack of fences along the C. My guess for the barriers along the B and E is that there is significantly more pedestrian traffic along Comm and Huntington as compared to Beacon. People have trouble as it is paying attention to the trains at the limited crossings as-is, I can't imagine what it would be like if conductors had to be continually looking out for people.

Comm Ave needs the Beacon treatment in a bad way for sure. That whole stretch (culminating at the huge disaster at Harvard Ave) is horrific for everyone - cars, bicycles and pedestrians alike. I've always thought it would be neat to elevate the B and get a Parisian boulevard feel going. Would certainly support more infill development in the area (adding onto/redeveloping one-story buildings like CVS, most shops along Harvard Ave, etc.).

The BonChon chain is taking over the Kelly's lease, they are planning to open a 2nd restaurant in Allston, with much of the same menu but a heavier focus on Japanese food. They intend to serve food, beer and wine until 1am, if they manage to transfer the license from a Back Bay restaurant.

That's all I know.

An interesting observation about the lack of fences along the C. My guess for the barriers along the B and E is that there is significantly more pedestrian traffic along Comm and Huntington as compared to Beacon.

Of all the areas you mentioned I think BU while school is in session would take the cake for most pedestrian crowded segment... but a close second I'd say is Coolidge Corner (Winchester Street to Saint Paul) year round. And people do indeed cross the tracks here at all places and at all angles. Again, never seen a near-disaster. I tend to think the barriers are really deadening for the continuity of a street corridor where pedestrians are concerned and probably not at all necessary.

An interesting observation about the lack of fences along the C. My guess for the barriers along the B and E is that there is significantly more pedestrian traffic along Comm and Huntington as compared to Beacon. People have trouble as it is paying attention to the trains at the limited crossings as-is, I can't imagine what it would be like if conductors had to be continually looking out for people.

Comm Ave needs the Beacon treatment in a bad way for sure. That whole stretch (culminating at the huge disaster at Harvard Ave) is horrific for everyone - cars, bicycles and pedestrians alike. I've always thought it would be neat to elevate the B and get a Parisian boulevard feel going. Would certainly support more infill development in the area (adding onto/redeveloping one-story buildings like CVS, most shops along Harvard Ave, etc.).

That's what's planned for Packards-Warren if MassHighway ever funds the project. They bulldoze all 4 batshit separate sets of road lanes + the off-center trolley reservation, rebuild the reservation and the tracks in the middle on a wider Beacon-style median with much more spacious station platforms, and have integrated Beacon-style roadway with angled parking and bike lanes that also act as turnouts for the angled parking. But they can't do it yet because the BU Bridge-Packards rebuild (same type of work they did Kenmore-Bridge) has slipped so many years past-schedule and there's no money to fund it. But that would be a DRAMATICALLY different Comm Ave. if they did that. I don't even know how the current layout could've made any more sense to 1930's (or whenever it was cooked up) drivers than it does now. Functionally batshit.

As for lack of fencing on the C reservation, it's all that left-side angled parking that makes it possible. Plus the wider, leafier median. If jaywalking across the tracks you're not between rock and hard place straddling the curb as a train whips by on one side and oncoming traffic whips by on the other. B and E, in addition to being a bit narrower, don't have the parking buffer that makes safe crossing possible. Risk of getting hit has way more to do with the speeding cars in the shoulderless travel lane...hence, the fence. The only upside in removing them is it would thin the herd a bit at BU and NU at freshman orientation (hmmm...).

Hi all,

Been reading these threads for a number of years, but just joined so I could ask: what is the deal with the plaza on Brighton Ave., between Harvard Ave. and Union Square? I haven't seen any pics or discussion of this project on this thread. My assumption is that the main building is going to be a CVS when it's done, but I'm hoping someone here knows more details about it. Also, I thought it was interesting that they tore down the attached building next door, was that because it was too damaged from the fire years ago in the Brazilian place? Does anyone know whether they're going to construct something else there, or will they just leave it as empty/parking space? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm genuinely curious as I live about seven feet away from this area. Thanks for any info.

Hi all,

Been reading these threads for a number of years, but just joined so I could ask: what is the deal with the plaza on Brighton Ave., between Harvard Ave. and Union Square? I haven't seen any pics or discussion of this project on this thread. My assumption is that the main building is going to be a CVS when it's done, but I'm hoping someone here knows more details about it. Also, I thought it was interesting that they tore down the attached building next door, was that because it was too damaged from the fire years ago in the Brazilian place? Does anyone know whether they're going to construct something else there, or will they just leave it as empty/parking space? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm genuinely curious as I live about seven feet away from this area. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the site.

Heres an article on the Plaza. You are correct on your predictions.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/allston_brighton/2012/01/rite-aid_in_allston_to_close_i.html

Back