Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

450 Cambridge Street promising completion in 1 year

8CqEJtt.jpg

CPSYmKd.jpg

3clk24H.jpg

This is a major upgrade. Wish there were some retail...

Yes, wish there were a retail slot or two, and wish it were a few condos mixed in instead of all rental. This stretch of washington has close to 1,000 rental units proposed (between this and the St. Gabriel's/St. Elizabeth's parcels). Going "all rental" perpetuates Brighton as a haven for transients (which to some extent is fine); but let's boost sense of neighborhood+community ownership/involvement by sprinkling in more condos.

This major intersection (Washington & Comm) is overdue for upgrades/investments. There are several stale/delayed proposals hanging out here (some of which have recently changed hands): e.g., 5 Washington (abandoned gas station), 1650 Comm (abandoned gas station...now empty lot collecting trash); and some that are finally being worked (1505 Comm).

This intersection is ripe for enhanced retail, improved pedestrian access, and just overall clean-up and conversion of vacant lots. It's a bit frustrating mainly because market demand is bursting at the seams - so there's money to be invested here, but it's just not converting for whatever reason.

need an account to view. Mind telling us the gist?

It was free a couple days ago when I read it, I don't have a subscription either. From what I remember:

• Project sold to new developer
  • New developer has higher price target for the condos, roughly $650K
  • Construction should start soon'ish

This is an exciting development for the neighborhood. I currently go to the TJs in Coolidge Corner or the one in Cambridge. Now I'll be able to take the elevator down to do my grocery shopping (I live in the Continuum).

Hopefully this will bring in other businesses, we could use another café and a few more restaurant options.

Last edited:
2upfh2p.png

1485 Commonwealth Avenue project approved last week by the BRA. Will include 102 residential units in a 6 story building. 87 parking spots are included for residents of this development.

Looks like a decent generic development right next to the Green Line. However i'm a little upset that it doesn't include any retail. I would have liked to see some quality frontage along Comm Ave. This seems too suburban for me, especially with it being right across the street from the B-Line (though I will concede that the B-Line sucks).

http://www.bldup.com/projects/1485-commonwealth-avenue

Past Allston Street, Comm Ave is only fronted by commercial right at a few cross streets (Warren, Washington, Sutherland, Chiswick, and Lake). That side of Comm is all-residential from Warren almost to Washington, and this is located after the local carriageway has started to climb the hill separately due to topography. It would be a tricky spot to make retail work, and there's nothing wrong with this being all-residential.

Is this right next to the Charing Cross development from a couple years back?

Now I'll be able to take the elevator down to do my grocery shopping (I live in the Continuum).

What is the parking like in Continuum? Are there empty spots that could be used by the Trader Joe's?

What is the parking like in Continuum? Are there empty spots that could be used by the Trader Joe's?

I haven't been down there in a while but there is large garage under the building and the last time I looked it was mostly empty. You can currently park there for 8.00 a day, which is inexpensive. There's also parking around the building at Harvard managed meters which are free for the first hour and (I believe) 1.00 per hour after. Those spots are usually 10% or less taken. That will probably change once the retail spaces are filled.

This isn't specifically anything yet but I noticed that the large Jack Young warehouse on Cambridge St is up for sale. There appears to be some sketch renders of the building with a couple of added floors and a new extension in the back. If they are indeed leaving Allston it's an amazing opportunity to rethink the entire area into something much more vibrant and people friendly.

http://www.gibsonsothebysrealty.com.../334-cambridge-street-allston-boston-ma-02134

Funny - just drove by this today and wondered about it - it's a building with a lot of potential.

Back