Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Nice shots, Beeline! I see you caught Cambridge Street in its natural state -- a parking lot.

New small project proposed for 421-425 Market Street in Brighton Center. From the SPRA:

The Project Site is comprised of approximately 7,765 square feet of underutilized commercial land that was previously used as commercial space. The Proposed Project includes a revitalization of the Project Site by adding a four-story addition to the existing single-story commercial building and changing the existing occupancy to include twenty-three (23) residential rental units, one (1) commercial space and twenty-four (24) parking spaces. The current estimated cost of construction for this Project, based upon the most recent plans, is approximately $4,524,100.00

Current streetview for reference. There is a small, 4-storey residential building going up currently across the street. Some nice infill happening in the area, which is good for access to the 57 as well as walking distance to a lot of great local amenities and businesses.

1580331415494.png

Only one render currently, not of a high quality --
1580331590482.png

Per Steve Adams - LOI has been filed on Skating Club of Boston (525 apartments with underground parking) and the Studio Allston hotel next door (120 condos + a new hotel, also with an underground garage).

Per Steve Adams - LOI has been filed on Skating Club of Boston (525 apartments with underground parking) and the Studio Allston hotel next door (120 condos + a new hotel, also with an underground garage).
This is not infill/small project. A new thread has been created:

The city did an amazing job with Smith Playground. The hockey rink is really well made, and the pump track is constantly utilized. Bravo! Can't wait till phase two is complete and the statue is finally completed.

The city did an amazing job with Smith Playground. The hockey rink is really well made, and the pump track is constantly utilized. Bravo! Can't wait till phase two is complete and the statue is finally completed.
Greenline -- Seems to me a huge opportunity was missed “Quest Eternal” [late of the Pru]

the-quest-eternal-statue-appears-to-be-holding-the-christmas-tree-as-picture-id627057272

the very epitome of “Citius, Altius, Fortius” -- the Olympic Motto [English tr “Faster, Higher, Stronger” ]

While not in the league with George Washington, Paul Revere, Sam Adams, etc. -- Quest is still a significant piece of art that should be prominently displayed.

The New Balance folks should trade the "Pru's Floating Athlete" aka Quest for a player to be named later. Quest should be right in the midst of the Celtics, Bruins, and Track facility. The player to be named later could be something appropriate for a neighborhood playground.

Last edited:
The bronze statue is neither that of an athlete., nor is it named 'Floating Athlete'.

By the same sculptor, American [war dead] cemetery, Normandy France.

5465887222_b9ab2ce542_b.jpg

Louisiana State Memorial, Gettysburg, "Spirit Triumphant"

LA_2247spiritLg.jpg

The bronze statue is neither that of an athlete., nor is it named 'Floating Athlete'.

By the same sculptor, American [war dead] cemetery, Normandy France.

5465887222_b9ab2ce542_b.jpg

Louisiana State Memorial, Gettysburg, "Spirit Triumphant"

LA_2247spiritLg.jpg

Stellar -- I guess then Bill Russel wasn't much of an athlete either?

ap_5711071166.jpg

and I guess he didn't appear to be floating either??

whigh, why would Prudential commission a sculpture representing an athlete when Prudential, as a corporation, has nothing to do with athletics?

The sculptor was a native Bostonian, highly regarded, and was stylistically influenced by classical Greek and Roman sculpture, and Michelangelo.

Ceiling-Fresco-For-The-Story-Of-Creation-In-The-Sistine-Chapel,-The-Main-Scene,-The-Creator-God-Created-Adam,-Adam-Detail.jpg

Michelangelo's Adam in the Sistine Chapel.

From a description of a second "Quest Eternal", on view at a museum in Orlando.
"Quest Eternal" depicts the inner drive of Humans to transcend their limitations, elevate their vision, and manifest their grand potential. In "Quest Eternal", subtlety of expression merges with great theatre where meaning is implied if only to keep the observer fully engaged. But you are drawn into Donald De Lue's vision as much by its intrinsic clarity as by your own interpretation which it welcomes. De Lue's depiction of desire propelling itself toward expression resonates deeply within us all.

"Artist Donald De Lue (1897-1988) was known as a "sculptor's sculptor" known behind the scenes in the art world as a master of anatomy. His sculpture demonstrates artistic links to both Greco-Roman and late Renaissance sculptors. The mature Michelangelo especially inspired De Lue to compose his figures with mannerist proportions, emphasized with highly articulated musculature. De Lue admitted, 'Although my work is traditional, it is a tradition of my own’.”

If you had said that De Lue is too important a sculptor to have his work installed on a neighborhood playground, then I would have agreed with you.

That was already a very well utilized recreational park, such that a few years ago, when I happened to walk through during Head of the Charles, I was somewhat astonished by how many people were actively using it. Upgrades are always welcome, but the neighborhood definitely already enjoyed the facility.

Back