Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

33 units in (Allston) Union Square: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/aambmiq6v6canen63q4e0uwp6us5g6pl

1675116299422.png

Former nursing home on Corey Road now up two stories with a nice view of the Boynton Yards development in Somerville off in the distance.

View attachment 33873

ah yes, this is the project with 34 apartments on the Boston side and 2 single-family homes on the Brookline side b/c of zoning, lol

Reactions: FK4
This building is not The Brookliner. It has it's siding already applied around the building's outer perimeter. This building has not too long ago gotten started with the construction. People where I live at Patricia White Apts. have disputed me to death, saying that it was the Brookliner, which had no accidents that I know of as of yet. :eek:

Last edited:
This building is not The Brookliner. It has it's siding already applied around the building's outer perimeter. This building has not too long ago gotten started with the construction. People where I live at Patricia White Apts. have disputed me to death, saying that it was the Brookliner, which had no accidents as of yet. :eek:

Correct, that is the redevelopment at the corner of Corey Rd and Jordan Rd.

Saint Joseph Prep is closing at the end of the school year. This is a huge site right on the 57--any thoughts on what we could eventually see this turn into?

Saint Joseph Prep is closing at the end of the school year. This is a huge site right on the 57--any thoughts on what we could eventually see this turn into?

My first thought with anything like this is whether another school could make use of the site, like what Newton is doing to turn Aquinas/Rashi into the new Lincoln-Eliot.

My first thought with anything like this is whether another school could make use of the site, like what Newton is doing to turn Aquinas/Rashi into the new Lincoln-Eliot.
I know the Boston Public Jackson Mann/ Horace Mann in Union Sq Brighton is hurting these days. I would not be surprised if Boston Public jumped on this school as a permanent replacement or a swing space while it gets renovated. I think the Jackson is closed but the Horace is still occupied waiting for a new space.

Renderings from the last 15 Washington Street / Whole Foods project presentation in January. Started at 270 units in 2019 reduced to 229 in 2022; no reduction this round. Still the same amount of parking spaces. Most opposition in the comments that just got posted is about quality of life / noise and traffic associated with construction. I can't believe these folks still live in the city! Also complaints about the treachery of this stretch of Washington Street in general. One interesting suggestion regarding traffic is to have Allston St be One Way from Washington to Summit and Corey One Way from Summit to Washington. (I would support that). Also there is talk of shutting the current WF down during construction so people were up set with that as well. Two major building items addressed, plaza and massing change.

Outdoor public / green space- pull back the Whole Food entry to allow for a 7000sf plaza at Washington and Allston St.
This public plaza at the WF entry is to allow for congregation as well as help traffic recognize the major crosswalk upgrade that will connect foot traffic with the elderly developments across the street

Also the building was pulled back approximately 10' on all sides to allow for 12 to 15' sidewalks.

Untitled2.png

Pull back the mass of the building from Washington to reduce the canyon effect as well as allow for more sunlight on Allston St and the intersection itself.
This was done by relocating the units over the whole foods entry to the Corey Rd building. The mass over the WF entry is gone in the rendering.
Looks less imposing at this corner but I think that means Corey corner went up to 6 floors?? Which means no 5 over 1 construction?? Will that kill the project?

Untitled4.png
Untitled3.png

Last edited:
Renderings from the last 15 Washington Street / Whole Foods project presentation in January. Started at 270 units in 2019 reduced to 229 in 2022; no reduction this round. Still the same amount of parking spaces. Most opposition in the comments that just got posted is about quality of life / noise and traffic associated with construction. I can't believe these folks still live in the city! Also complaints about the treachery of this stretch of Washington Street in general. One interesting suggestion regarding traffic is to have Allston St be One Way from Washington to Summit and Corey One Way from Summit to Washington. (I would support that). Also there is talk of shutting the current WF down during construction so people were up set with that as well. Two major building items addressed, plaza and massing change.

Outdoor public / green space- pull back the Whole Food entry to allow for a 7000sf plaza at Washington and Allston St.
This public plaza at the WF entry is to allow for congregation as well as help traffic recognize the major crosswalk upgrade that will connect foot traffic with the elderly developments across the street

Also the building was pulled back approximately 10' on all sides to allow for 12 to 15' sidewalks.

Pull back the mass of the building from Washington to reduce the canyon effect as well as allow for more sunlight on Allston St and the intersection itself.
This was done by relocating the units over the whole foods entry to the Corey Rd building. The mass over the WF entry is gone in the rendering.
Looks less imposing at this corner but I think that means Corey corner went up to 6 floors?? Which means no 5 over 1 construction?? Will that kill the project?

Thanks for the update; btw, we do have a 15 Washington St. thread going:

^Interestingly, therein, king_vibe made their same papier maché comment 8 months ago

Thanks for the update; btw, we do have a 15 Washington St. thread going:

^Interestingly, therein, king_vibe made their same papier maché comment 8 months ago
I am nothing if not consistent.

6 floors = 5 over 1. No doubt that this building will be made of papier maché.
I hear what you’re saying King Vibe. I recently lived in a brand new 4 story stick built apartment building. You could hear every noise in that structure. The noises above and below were extremely annoying. I have often wondered why we can’t build with concrete like they do in Florida.

Back