Amazon HQ2 RFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Laughable. Just south of the famous AutoMile! COME ON DOWN. Amazon could join other innovative Route 1 enterprises like the Walpole Budget Motor Inn, Ye Olde Norwood Candy Shoppe, and 3000+ Dunks.

FFS

^ yea, if i were the state I would send that group a cease-and-desist on that one. Way to embarrass us with that turd proposal among the gems.

Relocate it? I'm on-board with that; add in the Hood Park land nearby and you have quite the corporate campus. (Send the Bunker Hill kids to Roxbury Community ...)

Sullivan Sq? How about Community College

Boston is the logical pick but headlines like this are a real killer!

I think Innerbelt in Somerville offers better long term benefits and would be easier to pull off than Sullivan or Bunker Hill CC. The Inner Belt is the middle of Sullivan/Community for the orange, and Washington/Lechmere on the GLX. The buildings are big industrial lots, so acquiring the land from a few owners will be easier than areas with many smaller residential homes. Somerville has already done preliminary concept designs for redeveloping the area. Plus with the rail line going through the site, I imagine it would not be too difficult to get an infill station built. If they ever get built, both the grand junction and Urban ring run along the sites edges.

In the short term, Amazon could call Union Square home. Based on the latest paperwork filed with Somerville, the Union Square D2 block is going to be starting construction early/mid 2018 with a completion date for the block in 2020. The site will 250K of office space. I am sure other blocks are ready to be kicked off if they can get a tenant.

If I had to guess though, Marty is 10x more likely to offer tax breaks then Curtatone, if it comes down to that.

If I had to guess though, Marty is 10x more likely to offer tax breaks then Curtatone, if it comes down to that.

It might not be a straight tax break, but Curtatone has backed up the trucks in form of infrastructure. They spent $65M on Assembly and will spend close to $100M on Union Square for infrastructure improvement alone. He may talk a big game when it comes equality and corporate greed, especially if it gets his name in the spotlight, but when developers calls he answers.

Relocate it? I'm on-board with that; add in the Hood Park land nearby and you have quite the corporate campus. (Send the Bunker Hill kids to Roxbury Community ...)

I'm okay with relocating Bunker Hill but I'd like to see it remain somewhere on the northside. Lot of people already come a long way just to get down to Community College; I don't want to concern-troll but having a resource like that close enables people to take classes and still make it to work and the other things they have to do. RCC is too far to send them.

Re: CC ... I was thinking something like modernize the campus and densify the parking lots, rather than relocate. Maybe throw in some amazon-adjacent specialized job training programs etc etc...

One of the real pros for trying to put something like this between Assembly and Rutherford would be ferry access to Logan. I drove from Cambridge to logan around 7 last night and it was a mess. Having a silver line service to logan that zig zags through Seaport and also gets stuck in traffic, is ridiculous. As I sat in traffic, i couldn't help think that any decision maker is going to find this unacceptable.

Re: CC ... I was thinking something like modernize the campus and densify the parking lots, rather than relocate. Maybe throw in some amazon-adjacent specialized job training programs etc etc...

Maybe move it to Wellington.

Honestly though I think the best location for this would be Sullivan. There a corporate HQ could be built next to transit center. Add a commuter rail stop for the Newburyport/Rockport and Haverhill lines, improve an already strong bus infrastructure, and integrate it into the urban ring by extending the silver line. Plus you've got the orange line.

You could also work with Wynn to reconfigure Broadway to include dedicated bus lanes from a dedicated transit-way next to the commuter rail tracks through a widened Malden Bridge to Sullivan and Amazon's HQ.

Wish F-Line was here to tell me how unrealistic these proposals are.

Last edited:
Boston is the logical pick but headlines like this are a real killer!

If anything don't expect CoL or income taxes to be a factor unless they are thinking about turning HQ2 into HQ1 eventually. One of the reasons I like Toronto is that the corp taxes are lower in Canada. Income taxes are another story, but unless the execs are living there they aren't going to care.

If anything don't expect CoL or income taxes to be a factor unless they are thinking about turning HQ2 into HQ1 eventually. One of the reasons I like Toronto is that the corp taxes are lower in Canada. Income taxes are another story, but unless the execs are living there they aren't going to care.

Moving to Canada is the easiest way to piss off Trump.

Not sure if Amazon wants the political fallout from that.

Moving to Canada is the easiest way to piss off Trump.

Not sure if Amazon wants the political fallout from that.

I don't think Toronto will be chosen to piss off Trump or any other politician. It could be chosen for other reasons. Trump is president right now. He won't be at full build out. That'd be an expensive political statement, and a short-sighted one.

I don't think Toronto will be chosen to piss off Trump or any other politician. It could be chosen for other reasons. Trump is president right now. He won't be at full build out. That'd be an expensive political statement, and a short-sighted one.

Ignoring trump, moving thousands of jobs out of the country would have some sort of political fallout. It would be a risk for Amazon to do this.

unless i missed some information, i don't believe Amazon is moving to Toronto.

Somerville has a branding problem that Amazon could solve--,finally getting companies to say the city's name.
Spotify, in Davis Sq, for example, is like many companies, big and small, that insist on "Boston" or "Cambridge" for a headquarters address, and think of Somerville as only back-office or workshops.

Somerville has a branding problem that Amazon could solve--,finally getting companies to say the city's name.
Spotify, in Davis Sq, for example, is like many companies, big and small, that insist on "Boston" or "Cambridge" for a headquarters address, and think of Somerville as only back-office or workshops.

Easy, allow Boston to annex you. It's basically a neighborhood of Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back