Apple Store Thread ][

I'm hopefully going to be able to buy a MacBook with graduation money this summer...looks like this would be a good place to go buy one.

I'm hopefully going to be able to buy a MacBook with graduation money this summer...looks like this would be a good place to go buy one.

If it's high school graduation, and you plan on going to college, wait until you can offer Apple proof of registration. If it's college graduation, buy it before your student ID expires. ;)

The student discount they offer is not to be missed.

It's college, so yea I'm going to have to try and use it pretty quickly...I've heard of the student discount, how much is it?

Actually I had the pleasure of talking to the VP of Retail at Apple when I was in Cupertino back in Feb '06. The reason why there wasn't a store in downtown Boston was that they were waiting for the CopyCop location to become available. They decided they wanted a location on Boylston across from the Pru and they were going to wait until a location they could build to their specs became available.

Until that location came open, there wasn't going to be a location in downtown Boston. I'm glad this location worked out!

NERD ALERT!!!

From the Globe

More buried treasure: inspired by Ortiz caper, rival plants shirt behind Apple store

Michael Oh of Tech Superpowers slips a company T-shirt into the cement sidewalk in the alley behind the new Apple store on Boylston Street. Photos by Ted Dillard of Tech Superpowers.

Inspired by the Red Sox fan who buried a David Ortiz jersey under the new Yankee Stadium, Apple reseller Tech Superpowers Inc. decided to leave its own subversive treasure under the competition moving in directly behind them on Boylston Street. Yes, that would be the massive new Apple store set to open on Thursday.

So on a sunny morning late last month, Tech Superpowers founder and president Michael Oh slipped out the back door with a shovel in one hand and one of the company's geeky blue shirts emblazoned with the words "Technology for Genius" in the other. He crossed the alley to the wet cement behind Apple and began digging.

"We just walked in and started digging a hole and taking snaps. When approached, we explained what we were doing," Oh said of the Apple construction workers. "Luckily, that was the morning that the guy had bought the Ortiz shirt on eBay for $175K, so everyone just thought it was humorous."

Tech Superpowers has closely followed the progress of Apple with a webcam watching every second of the construction over the past year. (For a time-lapse movie of the building's steel frame being erected, click here.) When they weren't stalking Apple, Tech Superpowers was refining its business model to focus more on professional clients and less on consumers in anticipation of Apple's arrival and dominance in the consumer space.

"We're doing it with a wink," Oh said of the buried Tech Superpowers T-shirt. "We are in business because of the great things Apple has done. But there's also been blood sweat and tears from our side. This T-shirt in the sidewalk is a symbol that there's a connection between the two sides of the alley. I have no idea how this will turn out. Maybe Apple will refer us customers. Or maybe six months from now we'll be moving out to an office park in Waltham. But at least we can say, yeah, we were here."

No word yet on what Apple plans to do with Tech Superpowers' buried treasure.
(By Jenn Abelson, Globe staff)

GREEN MONSTER BEING PEELED, REVEALING GLASS!!!!!!!!!

greenmonster_peel.jpg

beautiful glass, eh?

Are they taking all the green down today, or leaving part of it up to announce the actual opening day?

The unveiling of a boring clone - corporate self-aggrandizement at its finest and most nauseating.

(I admit to using a Mac)

WOW. Pure ultramodern bliss in one of the most stodgy sections of one of the most stodgy cities in the world. And it's attracting quite a crowd even before it opens. Imagine what it would do to enliven this part of Boston to the max, this place will sure be a hot spot!

First one to get a photo of the Pru reflected on the glass facade wins a cupie doll.

Thanks bostoncitywalk. I was by there tonight and it was full of, presumably, Apple employees. There was a doorman guarding the entrance and checking badges.

WOW. Pure ultramodern bliss in one of the most stodgy sections of one of the most stodgy cities in the world. And it's attracting quite a crowd even before it opens. Imagine what it would do to enliven this part of Boston to the max, this place will sure be a hot spot!

Jeeesus do you need a handtowel after that post?

Haha.

I'm gonna have to make a trip down today to see it myself.. plus, I want to win a cupie doll, even though I have no clue what it is.

It's Kewpie Doll. And they are creepy. The Wiki article doesn't really get in to it, but for a long time them were the standard prize at carnivals and fairs, hence the giving of a Kewpie doll as 'awards'.

Back