Apple Store Thread ][

Bostoncitywalk, thanks for the great photo of the new Apple Store. I was wondering why on earth there would be a traffic light in front of it though? Isn't the Mandarin directly across from it?

It's for the pedestrian crosswalk, utterly necessary what with the Pru's main entrance being right there.

And now knowing what this Kewpie doll is, I'm not so sure I want to win one. How about a six-pack instead?

Question for those who have been there.

What did they do to the exposed party wall? Has it been painted, reclad, anything? It looks like it is white now, but I can't really tell if it just the bright light reflecting.

img5062cu5.jpg

2490246681_a8e5d9ab30_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks impressive. If only it could have been a floor taller.

^ Looks like the perfect height to me. Any taller and it looses the bookend "frames" of the neighboring buildings.

Wow, that is a truly amazing building! That came out way better than I even expected. I am very impressed. It would be awesome if they built a bunch of those around the city, except as skyscrapers...now that would be a cool looking skyscraper!

Aerial view of the whole block of the Apple store, the green roof sure stands out!

entireblock.jpg

More views:

roofwide.jpg

roofandstore.jpg

roofclose.jpg

Statler, this answers your question, the party wall definately was repainted. Good attention to detail there!

It's even more beautiful from the top, if that's possible. Mandarin/Pru made out big-time with that roofscape.

One of the owners of 95 Mass Ave told me they're looking into something similar when they remod that building (I'm not sure a lawn per se, but the project is LEED, and a terrace is in the concept).

EDIT for clarity

Looking at those pics, it makes you wonder why there aren't more green roofs in Boston. It doesn't seem like a really huge initial investment, and it likely does do wonders for people's energy bills.

Sadly, the unfortunate Walgreens probably WON'T be next, because there are windows on the right side of the taller building with the exaggerated bowfronts. I presume those two were developed as a pair?

The "hand towel" comment was because you were gushing over the beauty, I believe.

Walgreens was originally a movie theatre, the Paris Cinema. Seems like it could still be redeveloped if the new taller building was set back far enough so as not to obstruct the bowfronts on either side.

Ah, I always wondered what that building's deal was, and why it doesn't adhere to the 16 foot setback required all over the Back Bay.

You can just make it out in this shot from the early 60s:

img2216wm7.jpg

Back