Apple Store Thread ][

Gizmodo.com - May 5, 2008
New Boston Apple Store Largest In the World

Later this month, Apple is opening its latest flagship store on Boylston Street in Boston. The store's main claim to fame? It's huge. We're talking largest Apple Store in the world, by square footage. The store, in the city's historic Back Bay district, looks like a four-story glass cube. It's the first store inside Boston proper and the first with (finally) easy subway access. According to a store employee, it's a good thing Boylston Street is so big: Apple estimates 1,500-2000 customers/hour will visit ? more than 10 times the 160/hour that the average store gets. It's something else inferiority-complex ravaged Bostonians can hold over New York.

I wonder how long that lasts before being overtaken by the Apple Store in Dubai.

Actually it will be over taken by a new Apple store in NY, on 34th St across the street from the Empire State Building. I don't have the rendering but they took down two large buildings to build it.

"until it's overtaken by dubai"
haha, that was straight up 'debbie downer'.

nothing new..

img5062cu5.jpg

I walk by the store everyday but, is it me, or does that more like a rendering than a photo?

Boston's flagship store set to open May 16th

By Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Apple's first store in Beantown will have an appropriately high-flying Friday launch on May 16th at 6PM, according to a new report.

Historically accurate with opening dates ahead of official announcements, ifo Apple Store claims the opening date for the Boston location is now due a week from this Friday and is the first of its kind since the launch of the West 14th store in December.

The store at 815 Boylston Street will be one of Apple's most conspicuous to open in recent months, with a three-storey-tall building fronted by glass. It will also be one of the largest in terms of floor space: at 6,384 square feet, the building is expected to service 1,500 or more customers per hour, or roughly ten times the traffic of a typical Apple retail outlet.

The storefront is also located immediately opposite Mac reseller Tech Superpowers, which has been tracking the construction of the Apple building from its early stages.

Apple has not announced any special promotional campaigns in the run-up to the store's long-awaited unveiling, but has taken unusual steps to promote the shop that include a green front covering that recalls the Green Monster at Fenway Park.

The storefront is also located immediately opposite Mac reseller Tech Superpowers

If "opposite" means "the two buildings' rears face each other". Apple Store is on the north side of Boylston, while Tech Superpowers is on the south side of Newbury.

Seriously I can't wait for this to open. I've been waiting for a year now, and it will be three stories of full high-tech goodness when it opens up! It doubles as a free internet cafe, and it would be fun climbing up and down the glass staircase, which will be truly one of the most modern architectural features of Boston. Ultra-modern, yet will fit in if just by the sheer number of people visiting this store (usually modernism creates dead zones, definately not this!)

From the Harvard Crimson:

....The store has been the subject of some online controversy, as some blogs have claimed that the site would be the world?s largest Apple store. Gary D. Allen, the founder and webmaster of ifoAppleStore.com, disagrees.

He explained that the claim does not seem plausible since the lot for the store is 6,834 square feet?meaning that the three stories of retail space could not reach the approximately 28,000 square feet of the Regent Street Apple Store in London.

?It would have to be five stories of public retail space,? Allen said. ?I don?t see how it could be the largest.?

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=523526

Today's Globe, page B7, says that the Apple Store will open on Thursday, May 15. There is no article today, just a teaser for one that they will print tomorrow.

Probably not true, in the same teaser, they say Apple has ended its long-standing snub of the Hub, but one of their first stores was in the CambridgeSide Galleria.

Probably not true, in the same teaser, they say Apple has ended its long-standing snub of the Hub, but one of their first stores was in the CambridgeSide Galleria.

Key word: Cambridge.

There are apple stores all around Boston, but this will be the only one in the city.

I know, but I don't think Apple intentionally "snubbed" Boston, there's stores all over the area and some within T range, and having one of its first stores in Cambridge definately means that Apple thinks Boston is a great market, not a place to be "snubbed". What I'm saying is that I doubt the teaser is accurate, there's many things suspect with it.

Don't forget that when the Cambridgeside Apple Store opened up, Berklee had yet to require students buy Macs. They probably chose the Galleria because it was closest to what they were used to dealing with -- malls.

But now having a captive clientele of some 5,000 students, grads, dropouts and faculty less than a quarter mile away, it became a no-brainer for them to finally get into the heart of Boston.

KZ, you have a point, but Boston was 'snubbed' for a reason. They couldn't find an ideal location at the right price. Its all about the marketing. They already had locations in CSC and SSP and probably a few more. Its always about the dollar. 'Snubbed' is just a very good marketing term. You tell people they can't have it, and they demand it, especially college kids. Then you bring it to them and they buy in the masses at an exorbanant price. a la barbaric (sorry my friend) . I know opinions aren't generally well received here, but Jesus Christ, buy it on ebay, half, craigslist, or the other hundred websites you can buy a Ibook slim on. People that go to an apple store an buy stuff are the same people rocking a POS Mini at double the price of a less stylish car. when you could just take the fucking T.

I see nothing wrong with the Globe's wording. Cambridge is not Boston.

(Typed on a MacBook bought at the Cambridge Apple Store.)

Back