[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

A couple of comments.

Kentxie, -- Menino, the BRA, and Chiofaro all know that Chiofaro is not going to throw up an architectural abomination atop the garage, for the simple reason that Don has always been about flashing the cachet of his being the most expensive landlord in town.

If Chiofaro wants to get Mandarin Oriental type prices for his condo residences, you can be sure the garage will be so gussied up you'd never recognize it.

People shell out money for amenities, not looks as hard as it is to understand it. Why do you think many condo converted warehouse still reap in such a profit even when it is the least bit attracted *cough cough Greenway Place?* Residents look for views, convenience, and luxury amenities. Include this in your building and they can care less on how it looks. The inside is more important than the outside.

He seems more interested in either playing martyr

And you know what, even if this is his only purpose, I'm willing to back him. This is exposing the Mayor, unfortunately something that should have done a long time ago before he reached his 5th term. His biasness is blatant, his lack of judgement is evident. Him and the BRA have a notorious record of demolishing buildings worth saving and leaving the ugly ones standing. The fact that a legitimate reason for changing a design is because it is "too iconic" shows a lack of vision. The fact that he throws up an idea for a 1000ft tower proposal that lack any foresight and then criticizes another shows inconsistency. If anything, those who are for progress and development should salute to him for his efforts, even if it is not necessarily the best way to do it.

Last edited:

You know what would be a good addition to the Greenway (and the waterfront)? Another project ike Rowes Wharf. Elegant, active, and iconic - every bit or more as iconic as the 700' thing.
Yeah makes sense. But wait! Wasn't 120 Kingston deemed to iconic and thus would take attention away from the Greenway? I'm sorry but nothing iconic would be built. History already showed that wouldn't happen.

People shell out money for amenities, not looks as hard as it is to understand it. Why do you think many condo converted warehouse still reap in such a profit even when it is the least bit attracted *cough cough Greenway Place?* Residents look for views, convenience, and luxury amenities. Include this in your building and they can care less on how it looks. The inside is more important than the outside.
I presume you live or have lived in a condo building where the prices go for $1,000 a sq ft or up, and thus have direct experience in what condo owners in this price range seek in terms of appearance, features, and/or amenities.

This is a condo for sale near where I live that is about $900 a sq ft. This is the last remaining condo of a set of six that were built atop a new commercial office building. No amenities; i.e., no pool, no gym, no concierge, though there is indoor parking.
2900_K_Street_NW_606_48025_022.jpg

Here is probably the best of the views from this condo:
2900_K_Street_NW_606_48025_021.jpg

Here is the predominant vista.
2900_K_Street_NW_606_48025_025.jpg

^^^ Elevated freeway somewhat hidden by the foliage. The building with the tall incinerator chimney (yes, preservationists made them save and incorporate the old incinerator) has condos that go for $1,000-$1,200 a sq ft. Many, if not most, of the condos in this building are second residences, and/or owned by companies or corporations or limited partnerships. As the condos are part of a premium-priced hotel, there are hotel-related amenities that condo-owners can avail themselves of. Because it was an abandoned incinerator, the land was cheap. But to provide parking, they spent a year blasting through bedrock to create an underground garage.

Chiofaro, for the Arch, was supposedly going to spend about $700 a sq ft development and construction costs. This is 75 percent more than typical construction costs for a commercial tower in Manhattan, and New York was/is the most expensive city in the country for construction.

http://www.buildingcongress.com/code/costs/rising-costs1.htm

Here is an analog to the Arch: the Four Seasons Tower in Miami. Larger than the Arch by about a third, it cost $379 million (2004 prices) to build, about half, on a sq ft basis, what Chiofaro said he would spend for the Arch on a square foot basis.

http://www.dienerproperties.com/fourseasons-condo-brickell.htm

You can price the condos on a sq ft basis.
http://condos.dienerproperties.com/pdiener/index.cfm/search/?page=1&mls=35+141&SearchAction=Results&PrevSearchAction=QuickSearch&quickSearchParam=vcaddress1&SearchByParamValue=1425+Brickell,1435+Brickell&btnsubmit=SEARCH!&min=$10,000&max=$100,000,000&Type=&Style=&beds=1&bath=1&sqft=&before=&after=&openHouseStart=&openHouseEnd=&soldwithin=&sort=mPrice&order=desc&rpp=25

Feel free to calculate the crude correlation between construction costs and sales price on a square foot basis.

A couple of comments.

Kentxie, -- Menino, the BRA, and Chiofaro all know that Chiofaro is not going to throw up an architectural abomination atop the garage, for the simple reason that Don has always been about flashing the cachet of his being the most expensive landlord in town.

If Chiofaro wants to get Mandarin Oriental type prices for his condo residences, you can be sure the garage will be so gussied up you'd never recognize it.]

Stellarfun, In the end it's all about money, If Chiofaro is forced to do something with the site he would build Harbor Towers 3 or a brick stump. Ego or not when you have your back against the wall it doesn't matter in the end.

Sicilian,

My view is that the BRA's scoping document did not rule out Chiofaro building something that was 400, 500, even 700 feet tall. Their instructions to Don were basically this: before the city can consider a non-conforming building, you need to provide us with a study of several alternatives; such alternatives being buildings that would conform to the current code, and/or the plan, and/or the regulations.

Presumably, the alternatives would demonstrate that it is economically infeasible to construct a conforming building, or at least a building that offers benefit to the city from the standpoint of future taxes, etc., and thus, on the basis of such a demonstration, would allow the city to grant relief in some manner. Menino is not that much of a prideful fool that he would forego a building assessed for $1 billion for a garage assessed at 1/15th that.

Without these alternatives, an incompetent lawyer could successfully sue the city for wrongfully having given Chiofaro relief from having to construct a conforming building, or even promising him that if he came in with a non-conforming building no taller than x height, it would be approved.

We are now 18 months in since the scoping document was sent, and all I have seen from Chiofaro is a p.r. parade of new iterations of the project, each more conceptual than the previous. Further, there have been no conversations with the Harbor Towers residents (whose 'rights' in the Harbor Garage are noted in the scoping document with an instruction to Chiofaro that he must describe how those 'rights' will be addressed by his proposed project).

From all that I can see, Chiofaro has not budged from this statement in the ENF he submitted, which basically asserts, 'This project is great because I say so, and don't ask me to waste time or money on looking at alternatives.'

http://www.env.state.ma.us/mepa/pdffiles/enfs/050609em/14411.pdf

If my perception is correct, Chiofaro will never develop this site, given his big middle finger to the process, --whether the process is good or bad, constructive or detrimental, ir really immaterial.

He seems not to want to play in the process, and has, to date, shown little enthusiasm or activity that would signal he, even grudgingly, will be part of it. He seems more interested in either playing martyr, or of a man just going through the motions at this juncture.

Also for reference,

http://www.newra.org/ZLC/HarborTowers_PNF_041609_partial.pdf

http://www.env.state.ma.us/mepa/meparcproj.aspx?eoea_num=14411
http://www.newra.org/ZLC/20090717HarborGarageMEPAdecision.pdf

Very well informed post. Most of it is true. But what I have read was Chiofaro was following the process and then the city finally decided to get around and conduct the Greenway Study. The one thing I don't understand is that the Greenway Study claimed the site could hold (2) 400ft towers then why would the BRA come out and say that Chiofaro site is only buildable for 200ft?

Chiofaro or the city could have experts claiming both ways. 200ft or 600ft. So why doesn't the mayor step up as a leader if he is not prideful and knows that a development of this magnitude would do great things if Chiofaro is actually right? The Mayor should at least here out Chiofaro. Go over the plans get an idea what the area really needs. I'm no expert in development but that area needs something real bad.

I think you have to understand is if Chiofaro moves forward the BRA and the Mayor can keep him in the process forever. So why in the hell should he move forward without SUPPORT from the city?

So in the end what is the process? Especially if the BRA and Mayor can drag it out. More bullshit studies, Wind, Shadows, Height, Traffic, Sun, Growing Trees, Another round of a Greenway Study. Chiofaro's project could end in Limbo for a decade based on studies. So all in all the Process is RIGGED.

"Further, there have been no conversations with the Harbor Towers residents"

What does he have to discuss with these people. Chiofaro is probably well aware that he needs to move their Heating and coolant systems and he is responisble for their parking situation or he will be SUED.

Why waste your time when you can't even get the city to agree to let you knock down the garage. All said and done Chiofaro might end up buiding on top of the garage. Does he still have to meet with the Harbor Tower Residents?

Last edited:

Kent, sorry - had to jump in on your statement:

"Why do you think many condo converted warehouse still reap in such a profit even when it is the least bit attracted *cough cough Greenway Place?*"

Cough, cough - Greenway Place went bankrupt. Not much profit being reaped there. Again, please know the facts before you post.

^^^
HenryAlan, you asked the following question:

"If this is what is possible to build given the existing zoning and legal framework, are you going to be happy with the result? It's a simple question, I'm not asking you to commit to changing your stance on the legal framework, just whether you think it would be a good addition to the Greenway."

You know what would be a good addition to the Greenway (and the waterfront)? Another project ike Rowes Wharf. Elegant, active, and iconic - every bit or more as iconic as the 700' thing. And guess what? It would (generally) conform to the existing regulatory envelope that everyone on this board is kvetching about. Just because Chiofaro throws out some ugly red herring doesn't mean that the existing zoning requires an ugly building. And don't give me some BS retort about economics. Chiofaro paid what he paid knowing full well what the zoning was. If he thought he'd need to get a variance, he should have done what every other smart developer does and put the thing under agreement on a contingent basis, and then not close until he got his relief.

Since you mentioned Naivet?.... very naive post. Especially being as "well informed" as you are. It's been mentioned repeatedly, even by your hero Kairos Shen, that a repeat of Rowe's Wharf wouldn't be economical. Sorry was that too much economics BS? For a moron you talk a lot, and throw out a lot of facts.... Knowing that you live, work, or play in the general area, you would know that Rowe's Wharf is far from "active", and has sadly never been able to fill all the ground level spaces.

Yes we all bitch about the invisible monsters of the local zoning for this area, especially when they get ignored most of the time until someone comes along who is unliked.... We bitch because we have that right, and when something is wrong, stupid, or just silly, we should bitch and it should be addressed.

Douchebags who live on the 32nd floor have no right to decide what gets built next door. I don't care who objects to that. You own your 900 sq. ft. and nothing more. End of story. They, like us, have the right to bitch, but not to obstruct progress. Something gets built in front of your window and ruins you view from the last 20 years.... boo hoo. Reflect on what you used to have. I had a car until a couple months ago, and it broke. Boo hoo, outside of my control.... moved on.

Another thing I would like to understand more is how the BRA can require a developer to come up with 3 additional proposals basically (each which costs significant dough), to maybe say "yeah you were right that first one is nice and is feasible. Hope you enjoyed the run-around." Dicks.

Yes he paid what he paid.... we've moved past that. Fact remains is that in this market, you cannot build Rowe?s Wharf in the downtown area at a profit. Developers do what they do for profits. Welcome to capitalism. This is why so many of the buildings constructed in this city over the last 15 years have used so much sub par materials, with bland styling. Partially the BRA is responsible for the banality of the designs as they have asked developers and architects to tone it down, and make it ?more Boston?. Bunch of blind visionaries in a position to map the development of one of the great cities in America.

This is not BS my friend. You cannot build a good looking small building in the downtown area with nice materials. The larger the building gets, the economics start swinging a bit to make the project look nicer (if that?s what is desired, the developer may still want to wring maximum profits out and keep it cheap.)

So enough screaming at the wailing wall for me today, because just like a wall you listen to neither reason nor sense. But, at least the wall has an excuse?..

Kent, sorry - had to jump in on your statement:

"Why do you think many condo converted warehouse still reap in such a profit even when it is the least bit attracted *cough cough Greenway Place?*"

Cough, cough - Greenway Place went bankrupt. Not much profit being reaped there. Again, please know the facts before you post.

Sorry I didn't mean profit. I meant how they are still able to charge a high price for the condo even with an ugly appearance. So no I'm not wrong.

And @stellarfun, no I've never lived or bought a condo but I have studied Urban Economics. Unless you're filthy rich and you're just throwing money around, a buyer's least important aspect is the building's appearance. What is important to the buyer is the location of the building relative to job, amenities and services available such as restaurants, parks, theaters, and gyms , the view from inside the building, the size of the condo, and how safe the area is.

Last edited:

^^^
HenryAlan, you asked the following question:

"If this is what is possible to build given the existing zoning and legal framework, are you going to be happy with the result? It's a simple question, I'm not asking you to commit to changing your stance on the legal framework, just whether you think it would be a good addition to the Greenway."

You know what would be a good addition to the Greenway (and the waterfront)? Another project ike Rowes Wharf. Elegant, active, and iconic - every bit or more as iconic as the 700' thing. And guess what? It would (generally) conform to the existing regulatory envelope that everyone on this board is kvetching about. Just because Chiofaro throws out some ugly red herring doesn't mean that the existing zoning requires an ugly building. And don't give me some BS retort about economics. Chiofaro paid what he paid knowing full well what the zoning was. If he thought he'd need to get a variance, he should have done what every other smart developer does and put the thing under agreement on a contingent basis, and then not close until he got his relief.

So your answer boils down to, you want him to build something else. That's admirable, so do I, but it doesn't answer the question. It appears he can build an ugly stump that provides no public benefit whatsoever rather than another Rowes Wharf. If that is the only way to maximize his investment, then stump it should be. So to re-frame the question a bit, because I really do want an answer that regards the proposal, not what you or I might like to see, I'll try one more time:

If he has the right to build the stump, and says it's that or something iconic but in violation of existing zoning, chapter 91, and all the rest (which is an alternative way to maximize profit), which would you prefer? Stump that follows the code, or something iconic, with public benefit, that requires a variance?

Rifleman, as I understand the chronology, and this is purely from memory, --and mine is not infallible:

a.) Chiofaro announced interest in buying the garage before it was formally put up for sale. He thought it the best site in Boston.

b.) When the garage owner puts the building up for sale, Chiofaro buys it. There were several interested parties, but Chiofaro wins. His winning bid may have been aided by his commitment to retain the owner of the garage as the manager of the facility after Chiofaro owns it.

c.) About the time he buys the garage, he has a meeting with the BRA in which he outlines, conceptually, the building he would like to construct. He talks about a building 400+ feet tall. The BRA asks him to come back with a more detailed proposal. The BRA does not bless the 400+ foot height, but neither do they tell him that 400+' is out of the question.

d.) About six months after the garage sale, Chiofaro obtains a five year note for more than half the purchase price. The note seems to require that Chiofaro pay only interest, with a big balloon payment of the principal at the end (about two years from now).

e.) Chiofaro's take on the BRA meeting seems to be that the BRA would probably be okay with a 400' height, a height which he then adopts as more of a 400' floor, than a cap of how tall he can build.

f.) Chiofaro never does return to the BRA with a more detailed concept. Instead, with great fanfare, he subsequently unveils the Arch, which is nearly twice as tall as the building he discussed with the BRA early on. Apparently, Chiofaro, prior to the announcement, does not inform the BRA, nor cue the mayor. (Part of the 'process' in Boston is that the mayor likes to be cued on big, major projects beforehand, and his endorsement, or at the very least, his neutrality, facilitates the project getting approved. (The 'process' is what it is, and unless one is in a politically or economically strong position vis-a-vis the mayor, one does what one has to do.))

g.) However, Chiofaro and/or his architect fail to perform due diligence with the FAA and Massport beforehand, and these entities soon after the unveiling, chop the top off the Arch as a hazard to air traffic. In effect, the Arch becomes a wasted iteration, a teaser that throws away money on a design that would not get approved, -- and without Menino having to lift a finger in opposition.

h.) Because Chiofaro has used the Arch iteration in filing the PNF with the state, and with the BRA, the state responds critically, saying that the Arch cannot be approved as proposed. Concurrently, the city, in its scoping document, sets out the parameters of various studies, analyses, etc., that Chiofaro must undertake and submit before the city can formally review the project. The analyses are to include several alternatives of buildings that would conform to current codes, plans, and regulations.

i.) Now back at the drawing board, Chiofaro prepares another iteration, shortening the height of the Arch, abandoning the open-to-the-sea atrium for a glass pavilion fronting the north facade. He proposes that his building form the south edge of an active public square leading to the entrance of the Aquarium. In a reprise of what he did with the Arch concept, he chooses not to discuss his public square with either the Aquarium or the owners of the building on the north edge before unveiling it.

And he 'solves' the Harbor Towers parking problem by proposing to construct a very large floating garage that the residents can use while he constructs his building(s).

j.) Alas. Not having gained much traction with the second iteration, he most recently unveils a third concept, the 'stub', a residential building to be constructed atop the garage, and which presumably, in large measure, is a conforming building to the current code, plan, overlay, regulations, etc etc.

And that's where we now are.

Chiofaro has conceded he doesn't have any financing for his project lined up, and he can't get any financing until he shows demonstrable progress in getting the city's okay to construct whatever building secures that city and state approval.

But time is a-fleeting on the balloon payment to the Hartford investors. My guess is that he can't refinance the note unless he has an okay from the city for a building that makes economic sense, in terms of what he paid for the garage. Then the note stands a good chance of getting re-financed; as a property with approvals and permits for something larger and greater becomes much more valuable.

And if in 2013, he and the city are no closer than where they are currently, there is no-refinancing of the note, and the Hartford investors will likely take ownership of the property. My very speculative guess is Prudential will wipe out his remaining equity stake in IP to cover their share of the garage financing. (Prudential already all but took the shirt off his back with regard to IP when they bailed him out with his dispute with Tishman Speyer.)

IMO, Chiofaro currently lacks the financial resources to undertake the studies or analyses required by the state and the BRA, or even to hire lawyers or a real estate management company to begin negotiations with the Harbor Towers condo owners about satisfying their existing and future property interest in the garage. (All one need do is read through the multi-volume appendices that he prepared for IP to get a sense of what he had to do 25 years ago, and it hasn't gotten any easier.) That would explain why there seems to be little or no progress on either front.

So we are being treated to this rather strange Kabuki theater on the Greenway, which I suspect is going to end badly for Chiofaro. He doesn't quite fit the tragic hero in the Greek sense, given he is not that noble, and his denouement is partly of his own doing.

KentXie, the only high-end apartments that I have ever been in that looked like absolute 'sh*t' on the outside were in Moscow, where the authorities purposefully required Westerners to live in Stalinist-era architecture that was as drab, and as dull as possible. In effect, the Communist bureaucrats created squares of Potemkin facades so the good citizens of Moscow would never realize that Westerners were living in rather grand style behind the brick and plaster.

Rifleman, as I understand the chronology, and this is purely from memory, --and mine is not infallible:

a.) Chiofaro announced interest in buying the garage before it was formally put up for sale. He thought it the best site in Boston.

b.) When the garage owner puts the building up for sale, Chiofaro buys it. There were several interested parties, but Chiofaro wins. His winning bid may have been aided by his commitment to retain the owner of the garage as the manager of the facility after Chiofaro owns it.

c.) About the time he buys the garage, he has a meeting with the BRA in which he outlines, conceptually, the building he would like to construct. He talks about a building 400+ feet tall. The BRA asks him to come back with a more detailed proposal. The BRA does not bless the 400+ foot height, but neither do they tell him that 400+' is out of the question.

d.) About six months after the garage sale, Chiofaro obtains a five year note for more than half the purchase price. The note seems to require that Chiofaro pay only interest, with a big balloon payment of the principal at the end (about two years from now).

e.) Chiofaro's take on the BRA meeting seems to be that the BRA would probably be okay with a 400' height, a height which he then adopts as more of a 400' floor, than a cap of how tall he can build.

f.) Chiofaro never does return to the BRA with a more detailed concept. Instead, with great fanfare, he subsequently unveils the Arch, which is nearly twice as tall as the building he discussed with the BRA early on. Apparently, Chiofaro, prior to the announcement, does not inform the BRA, nor cue the mayor. (Part of the 'process' in Boston is that the mayor likes to be cued on big, major projects beforehand, and his endorsement, or at the very least, his neutrality, facilitates the project getting approved. (The 'process' is what it is, and unless one is in a politically or economically strong position vis-a-vis the mayor, one does what one has to do.))

g.) However, Chiofaro and/or his architect fail to perform due diligence with the FAA and Massport beforehand, and these entities soon after the unveiling, chop the top off the Arch as a hazard to air traffic. In effect, the Arch becomes a wasted iteration, a teaser that throws away money on a design that would not get approved, -- and without Menino having to lift a finger in opposition.

h.) Because Chiofaro has used the Arch iteration in filing the PNF with the state, and with the BRA, the state responds critically, saying that the Arch cannot be approved as proposed. Concurrently, the city, in its scoping document, sets out the parameters of various studies, analyses, etc., that Chiofaro must undertake and submit before the city can formally review the project. The analyses are to include several alternatives of buildings that would conform to current codes, plans, and regulations.

i.) Now back at the drawing board, Chiofaro prepares another iteration, shortening the height of the Arch, abandoning the open-to-the-sea atrium for a glass pavilion fronting the north facade. He proposes that his building form the south edge of an active public square leading to the entrance of the Aquarium. In a reprise of what he did with the Arch concept, he chooses not to discuss his public square with either the Aquarium or the owners of the building on the north edge before unveiling it.

And he 'solves' the Harbor Towers parking problem by proposing to construct a very large floating garage that the residents can use while he constructs his building(s).

j.) Alas. Not having gained much traction with the second iteration, he most recently unveils a third concept, the 'stub', a residential building to be constructed atop the garage, and which presumably, in large measure, is a conforming building to the current code, plan, overlay, regulations, etc etc.

And that's where we now are.

Chiofaro has conceded he doesn't have any financing for his project lined up, and he can't get any financing until he shows demonstrable progress in getting the city's okay to construct whatever building secures that city and state approval.

But time is a-fleeting on the balloon payment to the Hartford investors. My guess is that he can't refinance the note unless he has an okay from the city for a building that makes economic sense, in terms of what he paid for the garage. Then the note stands a good chance of getting re-financed; as a property with approvals and permits for something larger and greater becomes much more valuable.

And if in 2013, he and the city are no closer than where they are currently, there is no-refinancing of the note, and the Hartford investors will likely take ownership of the property. My very speculative guess is Prudential will wipe out his remaining equity stake in IP to cover their share of the garage financing. (Prudential already all but took the shirt off his back with regard to IP when they bailed him out with his dispute with Tishman Speyer.)

IMO, Chiofaro currently lacks the financial resources to undertake the studies or analyses required by the state and the BRA, or even to hire lawyers or a real estate management company to begin negotiations with the Harbor Towers condo owners about satisfying their existing and future property interest in the garage. (All one need do is read through the multi-volume appendices that he prepared for IP to get a sense of what he had to do 25 years ago, and it hasn't gotten any easier.) That would explain why there seems to be little or no progress on either front.

So we are being treated to this rather strange Kabuki theater on the Greenway, which I suspect is going to end badly for Chiofaro. He doesn't quite fit the tragic hero in the Greek sense, given he is not that noble, and his denouement is partly of his own doing.

KentXie, the only high-end apartments that I have ever been in that looked like absolute 'sh*t' on the outside were in Moscow, where the authorities purposefully required Westerners to live in Stalinist-era architecture that was as drab, and as dull as possible. In effect, the Communist bureaucrats created squares of Potemkin facades so the good citizens of Moscow would never realize that Westerners were living in rather grand style behind the brick and plaster.

Pretty Impressive stuff......Forget it ever happening then.

Chiofaro RIP and possibly homeless after this blog.

I actually disagree with some of the stuff. But I can't think this deep.

i stopped reading this thread a long time ago... just like the Columbus Center thread... will some one let me know when some actual news about the project appears here?

i stopped reading this thread a long time ago... just like the Columbus Center thread... will some one let me know when some actual news about the project appears here?

It's like a house fire or a car wreck; I don't want to look but I just...can't...turn...away. No matter how hard I try.

Rifleman, without getting into a prolonged to and fro, I'll make a couple of points.

On the $85 million note: My sense is that Prudential sought to limit its exposure on the garage because Prudential certainly has deep enough pockets to have continued financing the entire sale, which it apparently did in the beginning (sale was an all-cash basis). Hartford Investment Management will not loan an amount greater than 70 percent of value. If the note was on those terms, then Hartford valued the garage at $120 million, six months after Chiofaro bought it for $155 million. (Hartford also says it will lend up to $100 million, which it did not do in this instance, so I suspect the $85 million note was the max they would go, given their 70 percent loan-to-value underwriting rule.)

Assuming an interest rate of 5 percent and a balloon payment at the end of the five years, Chiofaro is paying $4.3 million a year for five years in interest to Hartford. As supposedly the garage is a cash cow, that $4.3 million might have as easily and steadily gone to Prudential. As for how much Prudential is receiving for its remaining $70 million stake (I'll wager that Chiofaro has little or no money of his own in the garage) I wouldn't hazard a guess. They could be receiving a fixed amount (interest on their financing), or a percentage of the garage net income.

I am certain Prudential has its ass covered with respect to its residual $70 million stake, and that coverage is Chiofaro's remaining stake in IP. If his stake was $150 million or more, then Hartford would never have entered the picture.

When Chiofaro first set his acquisitive gaze on the Harbor Garage in 2006-2007, the $155 million he wound up paying was high, maybe not outlandishly so given the times, but high. It certainly isn't worth $155 million at the moment, given the easements and covenants associated with property re: Harbor Towers, and putting aside the controversy now associated with the project.

Prudential is limiting its stake to whatever Chiofaro can leverage from his current and future equity stake in IP. (Chiofaro's equity stake is tied to the market value of IP, which lost a 450,000 sq ft tenant this year. The value of IP is affected in part by the amount of space rented, and the duration of existing leases.) As Prudential forced him to get another lender, I doubt they will be willing to re-finance the $85 million note when it comes due in 2013. Which likely means nobody else will.

http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-finance/financial-markets-investing/11393277-1.html

http://www.himco.com/

On the Greenway height limits: IMO, those are far from being cast in stone. I am certain that exceptions can and will be made. It is in the city's financial interest to do so, and besides the city can extort more in the way of public realm benefits when they do.

More interesting is that Chiofaro apparently refused to participate in the public process setting up the guidelines for development along the Greenway. Perhaps he felt the deck was stacked against him, perhaps he felt the result was a fait d'accompli, but for whatever reason, he missed an opportunity to go on the record to make his case for his and other projects with regard to height and mass. It does not help him build a record with respect to future litigation if he seeks to challenge the guidelines and limits as unreasonable and post-facto detrimental to his development interest in the property he acquired.

In retrospect, I now think Chiofaro's development dream ended when Prudential, in effect, told him to find another lender to finance the acquisition of the garage. That was the handwriting on the wall. All his efforts since have been a quixotic journey in trying to restore the garage as a $155 million property and allow him to escape with the shirt on his back, which his remaining equity in IP.

Excellent post(s). Along with Rifleman, I do wonder why the BRA also acted so erratically, leaping into what seemed to be half-assed Greenway Study in apparent response to Chiofaro, instead of embarking on a more meaningful process.

I'll make one further comment on Chiofaro's less than fully thought-out approach to his Arch project.

In the initial Arch iteration, half the existing garage was to be demolished, and the land on which it sat was to be excavated for the new underground garage. The Harbor Towers residents would continue to use the existing garage while half the new garage and the tower above it was built,.

When construction of the new half garage and tower was done, the Harbor Tower residents would begin using it, and the remaining portion of the existing garage demolished. Once demolished, the site would be excavated for the second half of the garage and the second tower constructed atop it.

Apparently neither the architect nor Chiofaro was willing to pay a consulting engineer or a general contractor to examine the feasibility of such a phased approach, before unveiling the renderings of the iconic Arch and delivering the general project specs to the city and the state.

After the Arch iteration was made public, either a consulting engineer/contractor was paid, or they pro bono volunteered an opinion, to the effect of: 'Are you fuc*in' crazy?'

From an engineering standpoint, the phased garage development and use might be feasible, but economically impractical. More critically, I doubt either Chiofaro or the contractor could obtain casualty insurance for the users of the garage in its half forms during construction. Maybe they could, but the annual premium might be in seven or eight figures.

In any event, the phased garage approach was discarded, IIRC, before the second iteration was unveiled. By the time of the second iteration, Chiofaro was floating (no pun) his idea of building a garage on a mega-barge/ship to provide the parking for Harbor Towers and others.

I see. However, I don't understand what you're trying to say. That how a building looks like is a big factor to price? Because there are proofs all around that says otherwise.

Excellent post(s). Along with Rifleman, I do wonder why the BRA also acted so erratically, leaping into what seemed to be half-assed Greenway Study in apparent response to Chiofaro, instead of embarking on a more meaningful process.

Bingo Sicilian........ "half-assed Greenway Study" and in the end all it did was scare off any developers looking to build. How is that progress?

This is exactly what I'm talking about planning. The only reason the study was done was because Chiofaro wanted to move his project forward. The Greenway study is irrevant.

There's not much of a debate here.

As Stellar effectively points out, Chiofaro seems to have cooked his own goose.

At the same time, its hard to believe that the BRA didn't consider rezoning the Harborpark to suit additional development five or ten years before the Greenway was completed, and have an MHP amendment under wraps upon completion.

It's hard to believe that the the BRA responded to Chiofaro by embarking on a half-baked Greenway Plan as opposed to initiating a credible public planning process (as it has done in other districts.)

And it's hard to believe the Mayor decided to take the public debate into a personal dimension -- he should have allowed Chiofaro and the BRA to work through the existing process, however flawed.

Ship of fools.

I see. However, I don't understand what you're trying to say. That how a building looks like is a big factor to price? Because there are proofs all around that says otherwise.

I am always willing to be educated.

Show me any multi-unit residential building where the sales price for a unit is $1,000 a sq ft or higher, and the building's facade and general appearance looks like crap.

Remember, Chiofaro has said his development/construction costs for his 1.3 million sq ft structure were going to be $1 billion, so he is not thinking of $300 a sq ft sales price for the units he would build.

There's not much of a debate here.

As Stellar effectively points out, Chiofaro seems to have cooked his own goose.

At the same time, its hard to believe that the BRA didn't consider rezoning the Harborpark to suit additional development five or ten years before the Greenway was completed, and have an MHP amendment under wraps upon completion.

It's hard to believe that the the BRA responded to Chiofaro by embarking on a half-baked Greenway Plan as opposed to initiating a credible public planning process (as it has done in other districts.)

And it's hard to believe the Mayor decided to take the public debate into a personal dimension -- he should have allowed Chiofaro and the BRA to work through the existing process, however flawed.

Ship of fools.

The only problem now is how many big projects will ever get done in Boston because of this tainted system? Nothing is getting finished and unless Menino starts handing out taxpayers benefits (AKA) Liberty Mutual. Boston will not see anything significantly built in the future under his administration. The political risk is just too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back