Archstone North Point (The one that looks like the Landmark Center)

Re: Archstone-Smith - Cambridge MA (Not NorthPoint)

I think the plan was to move the green line into the NorthPoint area. I'm not sure where those plans have gone.

Thanks kz for all your great photo updates!

The Green Line el is staying where it is, except at the very end where it now crosses over McGrath-O'Brien Highway.

This is a very impressive building. I drive home from work on 93N, and they have already started to light up the top at night. Quite nice!

wow, any pics of the light? That would looks pretty good.

I always wondered about the green line there. Not only the noise, but people looking in.

This affects 2-3 floors.

I havent been in the area in months, as I no longer buy monthly T passes.

Anybody know floor number and height?

Also, the color reminds me of the Mandarin. A very big mandarin oriental.

Wow, that building IS massive, but damn I love it. it came out really really great for that area, and the top just really adds a whole new elegance to the building for me, I just think it stands out (in a good way)
I am very impressed with how this turned out, jeez i gotta drive by it soon!
Also, kz thank you sooo much for all these pics update! It was like a second Christmas for me today when I came on the forum today and saw every post with your name next to it, and then I saw all the pictures. Thanks a lot for the updates kz, they were much needed!

I find the top of this building reminiscent of the Landmark Center in the Fenway. Although a slimmer design would have been more striking, I like it overall

This one really has turned out well. It subtly borrows from the art deco design language (without pandering to it at all) in the best way - it helps it handle its bulk in as graceful a fashion as possible. Plus, it has an inspired crown that ties the whole composition together, and has great height and presence. (for jass, I count 22 occupiable floors. The mech penthouse/crown adds another four or five apparent stories).

Of course, it gets a zero out of whatever for street-level activation, so it's by no means perfect, but it's turning out better than I ever expected.

And why can't more developers use this yellow brick instead of the boring beige precast???? It looks soooooooooooooooooo much better under cloudy grey skies.

According to emporis it's, "22 floors" but as kz mentioned, that crown (which lights up very nicely) adds another few stories on top of that. No actual height is listed, but i'd take a guess at around the 320-340 foot range? maybe a little taller.

I dont like the yellow. It reminds me of every cookie cutter condo building in Florida. It works there, but this isn't Florida.

I understand what you're saying. But when it seems that every new project comes with an unhealthy dose of beige precast, I'll take the yellow brick any day of the week.

img4747od3.jpg

img4754lb9.jpg

the ungainly north side

img4760ah1.jpg

img4762ae4.jpg

img4763la7.jpg

img4764yd9.jpg

img4766xl0.jpg

img4783ou7.jpg

Hehe the Highline of Cambridge. It's actually not that bad.

img4766xl0.jpg

What a strange mishmash of a building. That top will always look unfinished to me...

That warehouse next door is kind of cool, though (I <3 glass blocks!)

I wouldn't want to be the second floor tenant with the El permanently outside my window.

Product of romantic liason between Fenway Sears Building and Archstone/Washington St.

With the top lit at night this building will be a wonderful landmark. Though the massing is unusual, IMO I think the architect got this one right, from bottom to top. Hopefully it will jump start further development along the Gilmore Bridge.

This building really does look good....the top really is a nice sight to the eyes. Like Padre Mike said, seeing the top lit will be great.

And why can't more developers use this yellow brick instead of the boring beige precast???? It looks soooooooooooooooooo much better under cloudy grey skies.

I know this is an old comment, but I just wanted to add some visual proof:

archstonesmithcambridge.jpg

It catches the lingering rays of sunlight at the end of a relatively gloomy day quite well.

Back