Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

I still don't understand why they can't cantilever a pedestrian path off the side of the RR bridge.

I still don't understand why they can't cantilever a pedestrian path off the side of the RR bridge.
Would anyone use it? Its either going to be long-and-intimidating (an expensive outrigger) or steep-and-intimidating (and expensive with its own approaches).

The dam location is preferable because it is a short, level bridge with good connections on either side.

Ended up at Assembly Square on my bike ride today:

IMG_20141128_143212.jpg

Oh yeah, it's Black Friday. I forgot. Sadly, very mall-like feeling. But not unexpected.

IMG_20141128_143216.jpg

Went under the tracks to check out the riverside view:

IMG_20141128_143914.jpg

IMG_20141128_143928.jpg

IMG_20141128_143947.jpg

IMG_20141128_144004.jpg

IMG_20141128_144032.jpg

saddest looking bus:
IMG_20141128_144141.jpg

IMG_20141128_144205.jpg

IMG_20141128_144313.jpg

IMG_20141128_144631.jpg

IMG_20141128_144634.jpg

IMG_20141128_144641.jpg

IMG_20141128_144756.jpg

IMG_20141128_144920.jpg

IMG_20141128_144931.jpg

IMG_20141128_144949.jpg

IMG_20141128_144957.jpg

IMG_20141128_145028.jpg

IMG_20141128_145152.jpg

People were using this as a warm waiting area:
IMG_20141128_145857.jpg

IMG_20141128_145941.jpg

Second entrance (good!) and a nice view for waiting riders:
IMG_20141128_150119.jpg

Hard at work:
IMG_20141128_150211.jpg

Thanks for the set. I'm not going to get up this way when I swing through town for Christmas so glad you could do it for me. That park on the other side of the tracks will no doubt get reworked once more people start living there. I love that lone fire hydrant in the middle of the field!

That fire hydrant must be a remnant from the Ford factory, right?

Hah, yeah I didn't notice the hydrant until I got back to the computer.

Walking around this development I felt I was on a movie set. This ended up being a great development--along with adding instant hardrail stop.

A+ on this one

That fire hydrant must be a remnant from the Ford factory, right?

Data -- I doubt that it dates from that early 20th C era -- in the mid 20th Century -- when I first saw the site -- the Assembly Square area served as a supermarket warehouse and truck terminal for what was then known as First National Supermarkets

Data -- I doubt that it dates from that early 20th C era -- in the mid 20th Century -- when I first saw the site -- the Assembly Square area served as a supermarket warehouse and truck terminal for what was then known as First National Supermarkets

Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear about the many uses the site has seen.

Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear about the many uses the site has seen.

Data -- I think that if you pick nearly any site inside Rt-128 and many even outside and start digging [either rhetorically by searching for / through documents or physically in the dirt and walls] you will find that there have been multiple uses of the land and even the structures

The only exceptions are a piece of land owned by one family with not too many aspirations to grow and expand or some untouched historic relic

However, even such icons as the Paul Revere house has had many owners, changes and uses:

A brief history of the house at 19 North Square:

it was about 90 years old when Paul moved in.
Paul added a full 3rd story to house his growing family -- now seen as a phantom of the roofline on the wall behind
He updated it as befits the house of a prosperous late 18th C craftsman -- not the almost Medieval look of the house today

Then it changed completely before ultimately being "restored" to something between the house as it was first built and what it looked like when Revere first lived in it.

an edited excerpt from the Paul Revere House web site provides a lot more details:
http://www.paulreverehouse.org/about/paulreverehouse.html

"Today that home .... has become a national historic landmark. It is downtown Boston's oldest building and one of the few remaining from an early era in the history of colonial America.

The home was built about 1680 on the site of the former parsonage of the Second Church of Boston. Increase Mather, the Minister of the Second Church, and his family (including his son, Cotton Mather) occupied this parsonage from 1670 until it was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1676. A large and fashionable new home was built at the same location about four years later.

The first owner of the new two-story townhouse on North Square was Robert Howard, a wealthy merchant. By the mid-eighteenth century, the front roof line of the building had been raised and a partial third story added.

Paul Revere purchased the home in 1770, moving his family here from their Clark's Wharf residence. The former merchant's dwelling proved ideal for Revere's growing family, which in 1770 included his wife, Sarah, five children, and his mother Deborah.

Paul Revere owned the home from 1770 to 1800....

After Revere sold the home in 1800, it soon became a tenement
The ground floor was remodeled for use as shops, including at various times a candy store, cigar factory, bank and vegetable and fruit business.

In 1902, Paul Revere's great-grandson, John P. Reynolds Jr. purchased the building to ensure that it would not be demolished. Over the next few years, money was raised, and the Paul Revere Memorial Association formed to preserve and renovate the building.

In April 1908, the Paul Revere House opened its doors to the public as one of the earliest historic house museums in the U.S. The Association still oversees the preservation and day-to-day operations of this national treasure.

The restored dwelling, with its third story front extension removed, resembles its late seventeenth century appearance. Ninety percent of the structure, two doors, three window frames, and portions of the flooring, foundation, inner wall material and raftering, are original. The heavy beams, large fireplaces, and absence of interior hallways recall colonial living arrangements. Upstairs you will find two chambers containing period furnishings belonging to the Revere family. Revere House tours are self-guided, complemented by illustrated text panels and museum interpreters.

As an added bonus, the courtyard features a 900 pound bell, a small mortar and a bolt from the USS Constitution, all made by Paul Revere & Sons.

Last edited:
Oh lord. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. Apologies, guys.

Ended up at Assembly Square on my bike ride today:

Oh yeah, it's Black Friday. I forgot. Sadly, very mall-like feeling. But not unexpected.

Went under the tracks to check out the riverside view:

People were using this as a warm waiting area:
Second entrance (good!) and a nice view for waiting riders:
Hard at work:

Mathew

Great collection of pix -- It looks like the birth of a new town

Perhaps its will take 10 to 20 years to really see Assembly Square

looking forward to popping out on the Orange Line and checking it out

Data -- I think that if you pick nearly any site inside Rt-128 and many even outside and start digging [either rhetorically by searching for / through documents or physically in the dirt and walls] you will find that there have been multiple uses of the land and even the structures

The only exceptions are a piece of land owned by one family with not too many aspirations to grow and expand or some untouched historic relic

However, even such icons as the Paul Revere house has had many owners, changes and uses:

A brief history of the house at 19 North Square:

it was about 90 years old when Paul moved in.
Paul added a full 3rd story to house his growing family -- now seen as a phantom of the roofline on the wall behind
He updated it as befits the house of a prosperous late 18th C craftsman -- not the almost Medieval look of the house today

Then it changed completely before ultimately being "restored" to something between the house as it was first built and what it looked like when Revere first lived in it.

an edited excerpt from the Paul Revere House web site provides a lot more details:
http://www.paulreverehouse.org/about/paulreverehouse.html

"Today that home .... has become a national historic landmark. It is downtown Boston's oldest building and one of the few remaining from an early era in the history of colonial America.

The home was built about 1680 on the site of the former parsonage of the Second Church of Boston. Increase Mather, the Minister of the Second Church, and his family (including his son, Cotton Mather) occupied this parsonage from 1670 until it was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1676. A large and fashionable new home was built at the same location about four years later.

The first owner of the new two-story townhouse on North Square was Robert Howard, a wealthy merchant. By the mid-eighteenth century, the front roof line of the building had been raised and a partial third story added.

Paul Revere purchased the home in 1770, moving his family here from their Clark's Wharf residence. The former merchant's dwelling proved ideal for Revere's growing family, which in 1770 included his wife, Sarah, five children, and his mother Deborah.

Paul Revere owned the home from 1770 to 1800....

After Revere sold the home in 1800, it soon became a tenement
The ground floor was remodeled for use as shops, including at various times a candy store, cigar factory, bank and vegetable and fruit business.

In 1902, Paul Revere's great-grandson, John P. Reynolds Jr. purchased the building to ensure that it would not be demolished. Over the next few years, money was raised, and the Paul Revere Memorial Association formed to preserve and renovate the building.

In April 1908, the Paul Revere House opened its doors to the public as one of the earliest historic house museums in the U.S. The Association still oversees the preservation and day-to-day operations of this national treasure.

The restored dwelling, with its third story front extension removed, resembles its late seventeenth century appearance. Ninety percent of the structure, two doors, three window frames, and portions of the flooring, foundation, inner wall material and raftering, are original. The heavy beams, large fireplaces, and absence of interior hallways recall colonial living arrangements. Upstairs you will find two chambers containing period furnishings belonging to the Revere family. Revere House tours are self-guided, complemented by illustrated text panels and museum interpreters.

As an added bonus, the courtyard features a 900 pound bell, a small mortar and a bolt from the USS Constitution, all made by Paul Revere & Sons.

What relevance does this bit a gasbaggery have to do with Assembly Square?

Is it? I didn't take pictures of some of the giant streets. Actually, right at the corner of the new development is the largest frickin 4-way stop intersection I've ever seen. You could plop a whole separate roundabout between all the stop signs, that's how big it is. It was actually kinda strange going thru it because you couldn't see the drivers at all, they were all so far away.

However, speaking of water, the riverfront is quite nice actually, even in winter. Underappreciated thus far I think.

It's like they looked at the Seaport and decided to do the exact opposite.

A perspective on the new Avalon complex from the Boston Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/11/ava_somerville_targets_millennials

111814hotpropar01.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Som1845.jpg

Ava Somerville targets millennials

Friday, November 28, 2014
By: Paul Restuccia

From its exterior zinc accent panels to its large lobby “Twitter wall,” Ava Somerville is a different kind of apartment complex.

This just-opened 250-unit building in the Assembly Row urban village is Avalon*Bay Communities’ new concept designed to appeal to millennials, with colorful, modern finishes and an informal vibe.

“It’s a more socially interactive living experience,” said Ava Somerville community consultant Michael Abbatello. “We do paintball, have live music and schedule all kinds of activities to bring people together.......

A large second-floor common-area lounge has multicolored couches and a catering kitchen. On either side of the lounge are outdoor courtyards, one a “barbecue terrace” with grills for socializing, and the other a “chill terrace” garden space for reading or one-on-one conversation.

The apartments are funky and there’s lots of windows. We took a look at model Unit 221, a 762-square-foot one-bedroom renting for $2,060. Next to the front door is a gear wall to hang skateboards, skis and other outdoor stuff. The kitchen has a chalkboard wall, adjustable tracklights and white retro-modern Whirlpool appliances with a *mosaic tile backsplash.

Sliding doors set off the bedroom from the living area on one side and a loft-like bathroom/closet space on the other.....

Rents at Ava start at $1,895 for studios, $2,060 for a one- bedroom and $2,490 for a two-bedroom, with utilities not included. Garage parking is $100 per month for the first space, and $150 for additional vehicles. And a ground-floor workshop lets renters bring in their bikes, kayaks or other gear to fix or to clean off in a large open shower.

“We’re targeting those with an active, social lifestyle,” said Scott Dale, Avalon*Bay senior vice president of development. “Most are 25-35, but there’s also some young-at-heart empty nesters who want something different.”

Ava Somerville is currently offering one free month’s rent and it’s 20 percent leased so far.

The complex is a short walk to the new Assembly Square Orange Line station, and there are already more than 40 restaurants, retail shops and a movie theater in the surrounding four blocks.

Ava Somerville is only a block from Avalon at Assembly Row, the company’s more traditional luxury apartment building that opened earlier this year and is 95 percent leased.

“We have people coming to see both complexes,” said Brian O’Neill, Ava Somerville’s community manager. “I tell potential renters, pick whatever building feels like home.”

Som1762.jpg

A bit like what Starwoods / Sheraton / Westin has done with Aloft and Element its two new hotels in Lexington [built on the site of the former Sheraton Lexington Rt-2A @ Rt-128] that try to cover all the bases:

"Experience a Stylish Boutique Hotel in Lexington when you book with Aloft"
AREAS BUZZ GET SOCIAL W XYZ BAR ABOUT OFFERS
ALOFT LEXINGTON
727 Marrett Road - Lexington, Massachusetts 02421
31°F / 0°C 5:44 PM

ARRIVE & EXPLORE: WHAT'S NEARBY

Loft-inspired modern style shakes up a historic Boston suburb at Aloft Lexington! Explore revolutionary battlegrounds and quaint New England towns, or get down to business nearby. Dash into downtown Boston in just 20 minutes to work or play.

STAY & PLAY: PUBLIC SPACES

Meet & mingle with friends at our w xyz(SM) bar, grab a sweet, savory, or healthy snack from re:fuel by Aloft(SM), our 24/7 pantry, or play in our re:mix(SM) lounge. Plus, you can always stay connected with complimentary hotel-wide wired and wireless Internet access!

alf3209re.70819_xx.jpg

alf3209lo.70812_xx.jpg

alf3209lo.70813_xx.jpg

REST & REFRESH: ALOFT ROOMS

Breeze into one of our Aloft rooms, featuring our ultra-comfortable signature bed, an oversized showerhead, custom amenities by Bliss® Spa, and more. Our plug & play connectivity station charges all your electronics and links to the 42” LCD TV to maximize work and play.

"Experience a Boutique Green Hotel in Lexington when you book with Element"
727 Marrett Road - Lexington, Massachusetts 02421
31°F / 0°C 6:01 PM
home photos & videos rooms local area whole living nourish meetings

Element Lexington - Exterior Day
Element Lexington - Relax: Evening Reception

A place to explore

Surrounded by rich colonial history and the vibrant business community of one of Boston’s most charming suburbs, Element Lexington is just 20 minutes from downtown Boston and within easy reach of its cultural, entertainment, and sporting venues.

elm3210ex.72330_xx.jpg

A place to thrive(SM)

Maintain your balance. Our state-of-the-art fitness center, refreshing pool, and healthy food options all help you be at your best. Bright and open multi-purpose public spaces are inspiring settings for work, play, socializing, and unwinding.

elm3210po.72512_xx.jpg

A place to make your own

Energize in a smarter space. Our open-flow guest rooms are designed to meet all your needs, with fully-equipped kitchens, the signature Heavenly® Bed, and more, all thoughtfully arranged to rejuvenate you for work or play.

elm3210gr.72501_xx.jpg

Neither of these hotels are "Your Father's Sheraton Lexington" -- But these hotels in Lexington & apartments in Assembly Sq. are kind of lifestyle diversity in housing needed in Kendall and the SPID -- definitely a Big Checkmark
104626-3d-glossy-green-orb-icon-symbols-shapes-check-mark5-ps.png
with the Google / Facebook crowd

whighlander, if the idea of topic is to have any meaning, neither Paul Revere's house nor new hotels in Lexington belong in this thread.

Last edited:
whighlander, if the idea of topic is to have any meaning, neither Paul Revere's house nor new hotels in Lexington belong in this thread.

Arlington -- the idea of a topic of discussion is to localize the discussion while not rigorously restricting things -- otherwise the comments about a lone fire hydrant and other peripheral matters found on this thread over the past few months wouldn't be of any interest and value either

By focusing, but not strictly bounding the discussion exploring new relationships and cross fertilization can more readily occur -- that's why the boundaries of traditional academic departments are more and more being breached and people are graduating with degrees in neuro biomechanical prosthesis development

But returning to Assembly Square -- If you look carefully at my last post you will see a common thread beginning with the Herald story about the "Trendy" AVA by Avalon Bay tuned toward the Millennial Crowd

The story then references the traditional Avalon Bay also located in the Assembly Sq. development

This just-opened 250-unit building in the Assembly Row urban village is Avalon*Bay Communities’ new concept designed to appeal to millennials, with colorful, modern finishes and an informal vibe....

Ava Somerville is only a block from Avalon at Assembly Row, the company’s more traditional luxury apartment building that opened earlier this year and is 95 percent leased.

“We have people coming to see both complexes,” said Brian O’Neill, Ava Somerville’s community manager. “I tell potential renters, pick whatever building feels like home.”

So my post contrasted the juxtaposition of the two styles with the similar physical juxtaposition of contrasting housing styles exhibited by the Aloft and Element brands by Starwoods which just happen to be physically adjacent in Lexington

Back