Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

It's like a typical ugly American parking garage mated with an Italian fishing village.

There was another rendering in the paper of a different area that looked nicer, more pedestrian-oriented. For some reason, they didn't post it online.

041-6.jpg

This site is going to be a 6-story storage facility with ground level retail/cafe with adjacent plaza with seating and green space.

http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/old_rnd/Design approach Middlesex.pdf

A self-storage facility? Don't those usually go on cheap land that doesn't have much other potential?

^Yesss!!! There's nothing more awesome than a storage facility to liven up a neighborhood!

A self-storage facility? Don't those usually go on cheap land that doesn't have much other potential?

From what I can tell, that parcel is jammed between a busy one way street and an elevated highway. What kind of "potential" do you see for this site?

From what I can tell, that parcel is jammed between a busy one way street and an elevated highway. What kind of "potential" do you see for this site?

I happened to walk by that site this past week and I know it is very nasty there right now. But presumably it will be improved. Otherwise that first-floor retail, plaza and "green space" are going to be awfully empty.

should have great views of the city from that location lol!

I happened to walk by that site this past week and I know it is very nasty there right now. But presumably it will be improved. Otherwise that first-floor retail, plaza and "green space" are going to be awfully empty.

It is interesting to note that there are proposed future plans to extend Foley St. to Bailey Rd. once Assembly Row is further into construction.

The aerial view misspells Charlestown. That doesn't bode well for this project.

I love how the mall is labeled as "Phase I Complete". :rolleyes:

I thought this project was much less dense than it actually is. Wow. I did not realize they were really reaching for height here. Initial renders looked exactly like Wrentham with low one-story Cape-Cod style buildings. Looking at the aerial, the difference between Phase I and II is astonishing. I think that it should be "Phase 1 - Prep for Demolition" instead.

The third render on the demographics page looks like Boylston St or Newbury St in the Back Bay.

^Yup, those surface parking lots make it very dense.

Its not dense enough and the area needs more Rail transit..., the area is also pretty hostile to Pedestrians...along Route 28.

you think in future phases after this build out, the mall will be redeveloped with more height and mixed use. That would seem to really connect it with the rest of somerville more. (although its at least a decade +out)

Its not dense enough and the area needs more Rail transit..., the area is also pretty hostile to Pedestrians...along Route 28.

There is the infill rail station, that's probably sufficient. As for Route 28, I kind of get the sense that this is meant as closed environment offering everything required for hip urban style living, and the Orange Line to get downtown. No need to directly interact with the surrounding area. Not quite the gated community concept, but perhaps not all that different.

Note also the way in which the surface lots and low density sections are oriented to the outside, whereas the high density walking section is oriented toward the T' station. Somebody arriving by train will be greeted by a dense walking district, and might never even realize the lots are there. This is a significant improvement over something like Legacy Place.

The biggest complaint I have is that there is nothing on the other side of the station. In fact, the station only serves this development and nothing else. As you note, approaching it from outside the development on foot will be tricky, and there is nothing on the other side of the tracks. That should be fixed in some way.

As you note, approaching it from outside the development on foot will be tricky, and there is nothing on the other side of the tracks. That should be fixed in some way.

The other side of the tracks is a soccer field, a river, and an industrial wasteland on the very far corner. You mean build something or connect to what exactly?

This reminds me of the area built up by Wellington Station, except on a slightly grander scale. It should be a nice little enclave, but some areas will just never be accessible by outside foot-traffic, and it's not worth harping too much about it. I can't think of a single area I would want to walk through within 1/2 mile of here, and I have wandered down more streets in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville than anybody I have ever met.

To bypass Rt 28, Somerville is building an underpass similar to the one below the BU Bridge. See here on slide 48: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Y_jIpLYtpyY0dVT2gtaUQwS1U/edit#

That being said, absolutely this is a de facto gated community. Where are people going to go from here? Wander the beauties of the Ten Hills neighborhood, or amble dreamily across Sullivan Square? For bike-to-T commuters in the Winter Hill/Ten Hills neighborhood though, the addition of the 28 underpass footbridge will make Assembly Square's Orange line stop a more pleasant transit link than Sullivan Square. It also stitches one more piece of the Mystic River pedestrian paths together.

Back