Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

Beautiful...more world-beaters.

When I drove pass the area on my way into the city this morning, it appeared to me that the Starbucks is now open for business. That or the burger place is oddly busy for 7 in the morning.

When I drove pass the area on my way into the city this morning, it appeared to me that the Starbucks is now open for business. That or the burger place is oddly busy for 7 in the morning.

It was announced this morning on the Assembly Row Facebook page that the Starbucks is now open.

From the train, today:

The former IKEA parcel is likely the hosting site of a sort of Cirque du Soleil horse circus this summer. Plans here
http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/201ASQDr_Site_FloorPlans.pdf

Well then... that explains the sudden activity on their parcel. I was begining to think that a replacement project was already slipped past us and was under way!

They're just laying out some fresh soil from elsewhere and grading the whole plot.

Not actually the Cirque. A similar, more equine-enthused company called Cavalia. Their website already promoting the Somerville location. August 7 opening. http://www.cavalia.net/en

Cirque did do horses once. It was actually up at Suffolk Downs. I didn't go, but I did give it a big WTF every time I saw their ad, because it was something along the lines of, "Equis: celebrating the magic love of man and horse." So, yeah...

They had that here in Portland last year. It took up an entire block (parking lot I believe) downtown, and lasted for months. Billboards and ads everywhere, it was really the rage. So much so that they had to extend the run.

In the 5th pic of that set, what are those three large steel frame pieces for?

So this is Main Street... makes me hella' nervous. Looks a lot like the roadway through the Natick Mall.

"Come for the parking, stay for the garages"

What's the progress on the Orange Line station?

So this is Main Street... makes me hella' nervous. Looks a lot like the roadway through the Natick Mall.

"Come for the parking, stay for the garages"

Looks like Station Landing on the other side hooked on garage steroids. Pointless car-centric verticality non-convincingly masquerading as artificial "density". If you're gonna go tall, don't pussyfoot around it. Go Northpoint tall and dwarf the parking with people in a tower. If you're gonna go medium and artificial-dense, go Cambridgeside medium and put offices and people on the ground floor like the ex-Lotus building and tuck the garages in the basement or on a non-conspicuous far corner immediately offset by real usable (and densely used) public space like the canal plaza + ex-Monitor Group HQ.

This looks dated before it's even finished. And will be almost as devoid of pedestrians. And people wonder why the Natick Mall reboot didn't live up to the hype.

Listen to yourselves. It's two f*ck*ng garages! Relax!

It's paramount that they built these in the first phase so it'll free up the rest of the parking lot/paved space across the property for later phases, which if I'm not mistaken do feature some Northpoint-scale and Cambridgeside-scale urbanity and context. Besides, these are on the edge of the new development, not front and center. The photo is facing east-northeast, not North up the main Assembly Row attraction. The last photo, "Assembly Row 6/9 (Main Str looking W)", is actually looking north up Main Street (Assembly Row). That's where the focus should really be on this project.

I would hope in the near future Everett sees that it can build it's own Assembly Square directly across the river in the space currently occupied by Costco/Target. I'm not sure how they would improve the locks and turn them into a pedestrian bridge but it would give Everett the closest option to T access the town has.

If a bridge is built it actually functions well to improve the park area available to Assembly Square and then there is the potential for a Wynn hotel in the adjacent lot.

Back