Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Regarding the federal reality owned strip mall across the street from assembly row, sports authority will be closing their store there and the future of k-mart doesn't look bright. I wonder if federal reality could extend its mixed use development across the street when some of the strip mall stores close down.

Regarding the federal reality owned strip mall across the street from assembly row, sports authority will be closing their store there and the future of k-mart doesn't look bright. I wonder if federal reality could extend its mixed use development across the street when some of the strip mall stores close down.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/05/20/somerville-first-trader-joe-open/rrQ0nXX08TtkyNfoA561WK/story.html

It looks like Trader Joe's will have something to say.

Last edited:
That was quick. They must have been waiting for a spot to open up. The area needed a grocery store, i'm happy that its getting one.

It totally cements Assembly as a livable neighborhood.

Which spot (from which store) is Trader Joe's taking its spot? [Sports Authority?]

And this does validate lots of speculation that at TJ's was needed/wanted/appropriate somewhere in the big triangle between Sullivan Sq, Union Sq, and Malden Center. Makes perfect sense that they went for Somerville proper instead of Medford or Malden.

This is great for Assembly. The service TJ's will provide to Federal's other tenants may be worth more to the landlord than the actual rent they'll pay. And I'd expect that they'll take the Sports Authority space but Summer 2017 is still a ways off.

This also supports the argument that the Assembly Square Marketplace big boxes aren't going anywhere any time soon. There is still way more development to come in that area before those storefronts get touched.

This is great for Assembly. The service TJ's will provide to Federal's other tenants may be worth more to the landlord than the actual rent they'll pay. And I'd expect that they'll take the Sports Authority space but Summer 2017 is still a ways off.

This also supports the argument that the Assembly Square Marketplace big boxes aren't going anywhere any time soon. There is still way more development to come in that area before those storefronts get touched.

They'll be able to develop the strip-mall parking lots way before they touch the storefront. Replace the lots with parcels like the rest of Assembly: some garages over retail, some housing over retail.

Which spot (from which store) is Trader Joe's taking its spot? [Sports Authority?]

The article said 133 Middlesex Ave, which is Sports Authority. Each store in the old mall has its own address. It's not "suite" or anything like that, so we should be pretty confident.

ncO3N127vzDge1fEswOyqVaVeGR8K8qEa2NAMFS2mWBIjVeabRfVDR0iMthv9EuKc6kb3uAW-1oWo_mK0InMsJipXorUv_0zUAha_k9VeDVVZjbrtZnN--ESC5l143JAkUoyaoG1K1Zc1IzOqAFhYmHp_bn9Bh9LGCcoYEjRLQYGfUw0Z62VIf3cr0TAIp7XiVcmE_jnrdJKAG783vhlrLJoFWQ6gxS8FxgYYaWReKoDYKf-GhwzJ0t0_Zxg_t8TOsDet5XqurxhX2P0jeDFEnJke4I_3KHUZP4RyUIHbHeqOO8t-jPuZRKhGRXuht1ogtkXUWN-XpALFc9vdbCphvv3IhlH-OjGQb9ULKFTx-viA1C2aag7WZr5Qk-Bpn_pn54Fy7eyjHfFhwbWA376pUCijO0Nv4ZbtnMOOIyh_MRvptPzUIGaZiZlAu-ycqOJo5nuIUSZoeOpawnQgeDblY9vC-wKzSnWnrxDDBuQYeIgLHnIYTiCt4Ppu0aj52tdN9If0VljDmp-1JB8micj3_nPzqmQ1st0EkygSr9XT70sWFIujtslsOxNrzgMHSx1ItcFHU9wNMhy6TXt9ADyd_TkEA=w1560-h878-no

A closer picture of the new partners healthcare logo on the side facing Malden. There is also a logo on the side facing Boston but I driving through I didn't get a good vantage point.

Pdx0tls1IINcbsqz5M9k2gkDmaQTBkO40r3yMM_fJw3YQjDAGKKvxCxTiwGlVYJC8UdME9fr_CzBYQQjPluxBU6bNVwNvtGD4V7BNLsiT1pQH2jOFkITmMoUKDkSSjaEHup4HEqA6OoQRMX3vT-wNbaM9rmcUKNKvqELKm8fYiNggTjt7mB42F_CKSlDkLiWJoOAKMyKtPGlcCqGlm2EqiUIpzBbFKCBjg0B04hAEEucxneN2pHLX8EOiy7UKTFpnG0F4mwS3eTRBbNG3_hvCGrp_U78lmurrrl6xYFtYJcA7FzL_OzvLQKmz0Bv-zQjNTjOsS8fWayiyKbSjgvS4hXHJVG6ZLiMHG9iwGYv7sei9p3nl-RTQDtzdM5X9W9weJ8RVTFbrBDWfepfwvYXs3CfxlhU9QjJywkSNC71V8PRXNEsBWSV2lRZEznaXSaIk_eBMasHMxS_mnVuBTn1Rclv_c9JxKDKMMQFw6ijA28jy2OF7JtcmILeHeCQSNiWqz_wi10TheRUH4d_ChbBK0OD5POePH0IkBdhUKTSvUFfw2KQG2p09_Kg2FsbXgd0oJ_dYRVTFnmkLrZT6EmJiwYcIQ=w1560-h878-no

The detailing on the side of the building reminds me of a Cheesecake Factory. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :confused:.

Is there a post that has the complete plan for AS - all the current and planned building and uses?

Is there a post that has the complete plan for AS - all the current and planned building and uses?
Lots of the future details are still up-in-the-air, but we have a general plan (Yellow residential, Blue office, Purple entertainment):

ALL buildings have ground floor retail in addition to their upstairs uses (!)

Completed:
Building 1: Residential (approx. 4 stories) + garage
Building 2: Office (approx. 3 stories)
Building 3: Movie theater & LEGOLAND + garage
Building 4: Residential (approx. 4 stories) + garage

Under Construction:
Partners Phase I: Office (approx. 10 stories) + garage, opening this summer
Building 5a: Residential / Hotel (approx. 4 - 12 stories)
Building 6: Residential (approx. 18 stories) + garage

Early Renders Released:
"Building TBD" lot behind Partners: Child care center (approx. 2 stories, no ground floor retail)

No public details have been released regarding any other parcels.

From yesterday, corner of Revolution Drive and Grand Union Blvd:
27318927892_bf18ac41f1_b.jpg

Assembly Row extension/park:
26808554744_83af2337f0_b.jpg

Parcel 6, corner of Foley St and Assembly Row:
27345617221_50abf4fcb4_b.jpg

The hotel (Parcel 5A), corner of Canal St and Assembly Row:
27318914502_94e492f31e_b.jpg

Southern Kin Cookhouse had it's soft opening yesterday. I LOVE the sinage:
27416844865_4de6771f55_b.jpg

I'll try to snag a shot of it later, but behind the trees to the left in neon it says "AIR CONDITIONED | FRIED CHICKEN | COLD BEER". Going to try it out sometime next week.

The tower on Parcel 6 from my parking garage. They are using vacuum lifted slabs. It looks like this building is going to be MUCH higher quality then the existing residential in Assembly (which is great to see, Federal is confident enough in the performane to put down way more capital):
27384201696_4c5d6115eb_b.jpg

The tower on Parcel 6 from my parking garage. They are using vacuum lifted slabs. It looks like this building is going to be MUCH higher quality then the existing residential in Assembly (which is great to see, Federal is confident enough in the performane to put down way more capital):

Were the current apartment buildings financed/built by Federal or Avalon Bay? And does anyone know if a residential partner signed on for the Parcel 6 tower? I don't think of Federal as a residential REIT...

Edit: I gather from this quote that AVB built those apartment buildings:

Boston Globe said:
Walsh said he had told a housing developer, AvalonBay Communities, that its then-pending project on Stuart Street would be held up at the Boston Zoning Board of Appeal unless the company used union workers at its housing project at Assembly Row in Somerville...

From Friday:

Went to Southern Kin that night - apparently their grand opening following the soft opening Davem reported they had on Wednesday.

Delicious, savoury haute cuisine inspired by southern comfort food. I almost lauded it for not being a chain, but apparently it's actually part of Boston Nightlife Ventures, so still not quite chain. Definitely 'local' business.

People at my table (my friend and I were sat at a long communal table in front of the bar because I don't mind being social and didn't want to wait the 45 mins for River Bar) and servers kept asking how I found out about the place and kept referring to archboston and the fact that one of its members has a beautiful view into the construction site from his place... which usually launched into questions about what's going into the developments next door.

The Partners building is opening to it's first employees this Monday. The first wave of employees will be from the Schrafft’s Building in Charlestown and the rest of the employees will move in phases over the next year and a half.

This Charlestown paper is also critical of the added traffic that this new development will bring. Personally I think that an exit should be built on I-93 that exits onto Mystic Ave in order to alleviate added traffic onto the Charlestown rotary. Currently there is an exit onto the Fellsway however I believe that moving that exit to Mystic Ave will provide better access to Assembly for commuters coming from the south on I-93. I propose having the exit situated on the border of Mystic Ave and Revolution drive with a traffic light being added. From the north an exit offramp could be created so that it enters at the same intersection. Currently commuters exit onto Alfred T Lombardi way which is just past the Assembly development. I doubt that this intersection will be able to withstand thousands of new cars a day during rush hour.

http://charlestownbridge.com/2016/06/04/partners-building-in-assembly-row-scheduled-to-open-june-13/

Back