Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Today:
25288046496_123cc6b632_b.jpg

25221169961_46d02a141c_b.jpg

sDFMVd.jpg

This is the newest block 5A render. This parcel contains a 155 room boutique hotel on the lower floors with 117 condo units above it.

Last edited:
sDFMVd.jpg

This is the newest block 5A render. This parcel contains a 155 room boutique hotel on the lower floors with 117 condo units above it.

Wow, a lot less brick than what we last saw:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%201.22.32%20PM-3947.png

Also, we never did properly answer what on earth that looming grey box is. Someone suggested it was the building going up on Block 6, but the angle is wrong. In the old rendering, the box is could've possibly been the as-yet released building on Block 5B, but now the box is clearly over the parking lot and buildings of Assembly Square Marketplace on the other side of Grand Union Boulevard.

Is this the grey looming box of imminent domain?

It looks like the grey box is where the K-Mart parking lot currently is. I believe federal reality owns both the strip mall and the new development so I'm not sure how eminent domain would work. Somerville could give incentives to redevelop the strip mall though.

In the old rendering, the box is could've possibly been the as-yet released building on Block 5B, but now the box is clearly over the parking lot and buildings of Assembly Square Marketplace on the other side of Grand Union Boulevard. Is this the grey looming box of imminent domain?

View from Apple Maps. You're sure it's not 5B? Remember the renders show a small road between the two buildings from this angle
U3hxfGu.jpg

nAjAhGC.jpg

View from Apple Maps. You're sure it's not 5B? Remember the renders show a small road between the two buildings from this

In the old rendering that I quoted in my post, it's definitely a big grey box over 5B.

In the latest rendering posted by tysmith95, I'd definitely say the perspective makes it look much farther away and almost definitely on the other side of the trees abutting Grand Union Boulevard.

I'm sure it's nothing, but the box itself is definitely strange and doesn't line up with any planned development (that we know of).

New renders and floor plans for 5A released today. The brown brick is out and some new window treatments. Also some updates to the use. 132 residential units, 160 hotel rooms, approx.
21,000 sf retail space, 103 underground parking spaces, & 86 surface spaces.
Full info here:
http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/AssemblyRowBlock5Plans2016.03.pdf
eVVrcX5.png

City's report on the proposal also gives a hint to what that gray box is behind the renders: similar massing to the proposed building in block 5B
XVyUwPQ.png

Great find! I don't really mind it. The brick wasn't the star of the facade. The balconies are and I'm glad those remain.

Looks like an limited service hotel (Marriott Fairfield/Res Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.) on four floors, based on the presence of a breakfast room and no restaurant.

Looks like an limited service hotel (Marriott Fairfield/Res Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.) on four floors, based on the presence of a breakfast room and no restaurant.

On the last page (Color & Materials Board) at the very bottom is an Autograph Collection Hotels (by Marriott) logo.

It appears 5A/5B are nearest to the orange line and swapped from the original plans with block 6. If you look at the plans, there is no outdoor bar that is presently there. Also reached out to federal realty and the condos are opening in 2017 so it appears they swapped blocks 5 and 6.

It appears 5A/5B are nearest to the orange line and swapped from the original plans with block 6. If you look at the plans, there is no outdoor bar that is presently there. Also reached out to federal realty and the condos are opening in 2017 so it appears they swapped blocks 5 and 6.

Any word on pricing?

5b is where the beer garden is, which is staying for now. 5a is where they are putting the hotel/condos that just started driving sheet piles. Block 6 is where they are putting the tall tower and parking garage I've been posting pictures of, across Canal St from AVA closest to the main Orange Line entrance. Block 5 is basically across from K-Mart.

5b is where the beer garden is, which is staying for now. 5a is where they are putting the hotel/condos that just started driving sheet piles. Block 6 is where they are putting the tall tower and parking garage I've been posting pictures of, across Canal St from AVA closest to the main Orange Line entrance. Block 5 is basically across from K-Mart.

Yeah, I don't think Block 6 could get switched around very easily because it essentially extends a wall of parking garage along the orange line from block 4 (the Brooks Brothers building). It's the most unique footprint we've seen at Assembly so far. All of the remaining blocks north of Grand Union (5, 7, 8) are fairly interchangeable and look to include multiple towers. But Block 6 is uniquely shaped and doesn't seem like it could switch with anything else unless they went back to the city and got all new permitting.

From today; a panorama of Block 6 with Block 5A construction off to the right:
25341050043_7004750ada_k.jpg

Corner of Revolution Drive and Grand Union Blvd:
25341051873_cb52e4380e_b.jpg

Back