Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

hell yea its light up nice now no corny multiple color crap

Atlantic Wharf, including the spire, is lit with alternating green and red bands.

and me out x-mas shopping with my camera :)
034.jpg
045.jpg

Too bad it doesn't have chasing lights built in to the fairy wand.

that would be cool, Fan pier has that but was all blue? Some more from tonite
035.jpg
037-1.jpg
039.jpg
043-1.jpg
046.jpg
059-1.jpg
060-2.jpg
056.jpg
055.jpg
048.jpg

This building is like the girl you date for a little while cuz you're on a cold streak and from certain angles she looks good and can keep your attention but then you take out for drinks one night and she gets annoying and you want to punch her in the face.

Cool! I think red and green look like garbage together, but I like the Christmasyness of it! Also interesting that they can adjust individual sections.

It still pisses me off though, that the very bottom of the pole thing doesn't light up... Add light to it, dammit.

This building is like the girl you date for a little while cuz you're on a cold streak and from certain angles she looks good and can keep your attention but then you take out for drinks one night and she gets annoying and you want to punch her in the face.

hahhaah dude im in that exact situation and it also fits this building perfectly

Here's a set from Monday, right as the snow started falling:

5284560078_7182eaf716_b.jpg

5284560672_5f749c4841_b.jpg

5284560948_1a71a86bd2_b.jpg

5283964193_52c0a6defb_b.jpg

5284562996_7e29025d0f_b.jpg

So far this is my favorite part. But just like every other seemingly disparate element to this building, it doesn't really seem to communicate with anything else.

5284563364_cdfb2198cf_b.jpg

5283966337_423a96e34f_b.jpg

5284564330_2a0d525988_b.jpg

Bonus snowy shot!

5284564706_c5350ee06e_b.jpg

And one more from my sojourn into the South End today:

5284207822_76a2682eea_b.jpg

Last edited:

Great pics. :)

So what's in here? Anything yet? Anything scheduled to be going in?

"When completed early next year, the mixed-use complex formerly known as Russia Wharf, will be the headquarters for Wellington Management Co., which leased 450,000 square feet of space. Communispace - a Watertown company that creates online communities for its corporate customers - will take 80,000 square feet. Payette, a Boston architectural firm, has signed a 10-year deal for 40,000 square feet. Wilmington Trust, one of the largest U.S. providers of personal trusts, will take 15,000 square feet of offices.

In February, the Boston Society of Architects signed a letter of intent with Boston Properties for two floors at below-market rent. Under the agreement, the BSA would take 31,700 square feet of space."

I also heard that Smith & Wollensky's just signed a lease for some of the retail. It would be a Wollensky's Grill location.

http://www.theconcreteproducer.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1419&articleID=1460312

A couple from today:

5285792729_7848c4b58e_b.jpg

5285778633_4d7fa89ce6_b.jpg

Love the pics, you two. Cool shots, I like the FRB building, too.

Beautiful building definitely a welcomed addition to boston it looks great and fits right in.

with out the light pole and ("while walking")
080.jpg

Last night the entire Southeast facing wall was lit to form some kind of pattern. Plus green and red lights and bright white cap.

I'm all into technological innovation, but Russia Wharf / Atlantic Wharf is second only to the Glass Slipper in its exterior lighting scheme. At least the folks over on Lagrange St had the modesty to keep the dance pole behind closed doors.

does anyone else feel that this building may have been more successful if they had foregone the grid design in favor of simple vertical lines? in its current form, the building strikes me as a bit more stout that it truly is; vertical lines may have better emphasized its height and gave it better sense of poise.

here's a couple of quicky Paint jobs to illustrate the point -- clearly not an expert here:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

^ so i thought the whole complaint about "the colossal Order" was bull, but these photoshops point it out. I still think the building looks good, and if we are doing the awards again this year i will be voting for it, but now i have to agree, the grid should go.

Curious if anyone has noticed that the interior lighting within the middle 1/3rd of the building (six floors, starting above the historic facade) on the Fort Point Channel side is entirely fluorescent -- completely different from the office lighting on the upper 1/3rd and entire front face.

It looks like it could be 6+ floors of interior parking, or maybe its still under construction?

Back