Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

this could be the same project,only I took this picture in 1987? when 101 Arch was underconstruction. click on pix to enlarge

When I was in London two years ago, these were everywhere. I was told by a native that the laws require all buildings of a certain age to be facadectomies. Not sure how much thruth there is to that, though.

I'll ratify that thought

in London last summer I saw a nearly 10 story brick wall held up by a steel frame at a construction site a couple of blocks from Victoria Station

Westy

Welcome to the board. Thanks for the info. Lame name (the building, not you).

there was nothing wrong with russia wharf. certainly more memorable than 280 congress.
:(

Isn't the residential component supposed to be sold off to another developer? I bet since residential really has to be named that they wanted to give the office space a dull non-name so that it won't compete with the identity of the residences.

Dang...Russia Wharf is such a sweet name. Why don't we go ahead and change the Middle East to 472 Massachusetts Avenue while we're at it?

Moronitude

I went to school in Vermont. A friend of mine once drove to the Burlington airport ("Burlington International Airport") to catch a flight home for spring break. He parked his car in a garage for a week. Upon arrival back in Vermont, he found his car stereo missing. It turned out a garage employee, who already had a number of misdemeanor offenses for petty larceny, had stolen the stereo. It was retrieved. After retrieval, in the presence of both my friend and the garage owner, a police officer described the perp as "dumber than Vermont dumb." The owner took offense.

Wellington Capital, for what it has done to a fine, historical and very evocative and mysterious name, can only be described as "dumber than Massachusetts dumb."

Good one, Wellington.

Dammit, I'll still call it "Russia Wharf" and when (if?) they ever rebuild the Tea Party museum, hopefully the right name will live on in history.

If Russia was too pejorative in the current era, they could have gone with Baltic Wharf. I think the wharf was originally used for trading with ports along the Baltic.

London's greatest development in the modern era is Canary Wharf, which sounds warbly to me.

Or they could have named it after themselves: Wellington Wharf. Rolls nicely off the tongue.

The new section of Harborwalk behind Russia Wharf and the Intercontinental Hotel was nicely used tonight by SummersDay Revels performances. The event will repeat tomorrow (Sunday).

One thing I wonder -- why didn't they connect the Harborwalk directly to the Moakley Bridge sidewalk? You have to walk all the way to Atlantic Avenue and back if you want to go between the Harborwalk and the bridge.

One thing I wonder -- why didn't they connect the Harborwalk directly to the Moakley Bridge sidewalk? You have to walk all the way to Atlantic Avenue and back if you want to go between the Harborwalk and the bridge.

That really, really, really annoys me. Its not a huge distance, but you have two parallel walkways, with a 3 inch divider, so you cant cross.

IMG_0779.jpg

Lots of prep work going on in here.

Damn, I can't wait to see the steel start rising for this one.

yeah this is going to be a very large project.
31 stories I believe ?

yeah this is going to be a very large project.
31 stories I believe ?

only in Boston would you say this... I'm so sick of midrises. I just want something with height just for excitement's sake.

^ Either you or GMACK must be wrong. Only 6 US cities have more 31+ story buildings than Boston. NYC, Chicago and Miami are well ahead, and SF, Houston and LA only have between 3 to 8 more buildings above this height than Boston. 5 of these 6 cities are also larger than Boston, 4 of them signifcantly so.

So, either this project should not be considered very large by Boston standards (we already 27 buildings taller than this) or, if it is, it would also be considered large in all but 3 or 4 American cities.

Wow! that was some impressive spin. McCain needs you.You can make stats says anything you want them to.

You can find statistics that support anything... 93% of all people know that.

Back