Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

Maybe "The Wellington at Russia Wharf" or "The Wellington on Russia Wharf"?

The developers of this project would be foolish to use any other name but "Russia Wharf". It evokes all kinds of exotic associations. I really doubt some marketer is going to be able to top it.

There's a whole lot of science and research that goes into branding a property nowadays - the name of the property has value in and of itself - so for me, when I hear "Russia Wharf" I think of the Three Cheers dive bar, and the ship gallery store.

Given the facades of those properties will remain up - I can't see how you can name this property "Russia Wharf" and then launch an entirely new property altogether.

Imagine a 3rd-rate restaurant with third-rate curb appeal, and the owners gut the place, retrofit it, hire a celebrity chef, revamp the menu and wine lists, and then re-launch the restaurant as a first-class fine dining establishment. You can bet they wouldn't want to keep the old name of the restaurant. It's very basic marketing/branding strategy that only recently has been embraced by the commercial real estate industry - for better or worse. I would bet that the research BP conducted showed them a negative connotation for Russia Wharf - which is too bad, because I like the way Russia Wharf (and India Wharf for that matter) sound.

In the 1970s and 1980s I don't think "Rowes Wharf" conjured images of high end real estate either...but that neither hindered the success of the project nor did it scare prospective tenants. Russia Wharf should retain its name and can certainly overcome the less glamorous remnants of its past.

Given the facades of those properties will remain up - I can't see how you can name this property "Russia Wharf" and then launch an entirely new property altogether.

Seemed to work out pretty well for "Quincy Market". And also for "Custom Hosue".

IMO the name "Russia Wharf" should be kept for its historical connections; it was the site of the Boston Tea Party and when the new Tea Party museum is built and the little ship returns, the entire area will once again be a tourist draw. The actual site of the wharf, after all, is a spot that is now under the foundation of the Peabody and Sterns building on Atlantic Ave., the edge of the harbor having been filled in.

Well, I have no idea what BP is thinking, and maybe they'll keep the Russia Wharf name, I had heard they were going to change it, but don't know for sure. I would imagine that their research will show them that they really don't have a choice and that they have to change the name.

A good (bad) example is the mixed-use, exciting, action-packed real estate landmark the likes of which Boston has never, ever seen with vertical shopping experience, and a dazzling array of amenities and services... and they name it One Lincoln Street? It's just so old Boston real estate...

Last edited:

I would imagine that their research will show them that they really don't have a choice and that they have to change the name.

Are you suggesting that Russia Wharf may somehow be trademarked as a place name?

If so, I wonder if there is an equivalent to prior art in trademark law.

BTW, the phrase property identity/branding strategies makes me vaguely ill.

Statler - don't shoot the messenger!! I'd be more than happy with Russia Wharf.

And no, I didn't mean that there would be a legal reason to change it, just a monetary reason.

Due to my involvement with three very large projects lately - two not in the Boston area - I've become very involved with branding/identity and I find it fascinating. It's not something many developers in Boston do right. It's always the people outside of Boston's commercial real estate fraternity who have these fresh, new ideas. Of course in Boston, having a fresh new idea is usually an indictment of sorts.

My thoughts are this: if a historical name adds value, use the historical name - if a new name adds more value, then change the name.

"Exchange Place" is sort of half one way, half the other. The name is new, but incorporates the building's original name (Boston Stock Exchange). Which is somehow appropriate for a new building erected behind an old facade.

I guess it depends on how one defines value. Not everyone sees it in monetary terms.

I'm not criticizing you, just the folks who make these soulless decisions with strictly profit based motives.

I like Exchange Place too. I bet you if you said to somebody "where is 53 State Street, 66 State Street, or 60 State Street?" nobody would know. But 53 State/Exchange Place has a bit more prestige and visibility due to it's name.

I liked that the Charles River Park name was scrapped for the West End Apartments - I like how Equity bucked the trend of marching forward to actually look back.

I also like FP3 as a name for funky cool lofts, and Atelier for upscale sophistication in the South End. The name has to fit the product.

What I don't like are made-up addresses replacing real ones. "One Boston Place" and "One Financial Center" tell a visitor nothing at all about where the building is actually located. "One Kendall Square" is especially egregious given that it's a half mile away from the real Kendall Square.

111 Huntington Ave. seems to do OK with just an address.

^I agree. I find it easy to remember the numbered names, such as 60 state street, 28 state street, 101 huntington, 111 huntington, etc. easier than "one boston place" "One Lincoln" etc. Of course, its also easy to remember things with fairly unique names, like the Pru :p

Boston Properties markets 111 Huntington as part of the "Prudential Center" just as they do 101 Huntington and 800 Boylston (the Pru Tower)

If you ask people who work in that tower where they work, they will invariably say "I work in the Prudential Center" and not "I work at 111 Huntington"

We're all real estate people, we know these things, but to the average person I'd bet "111 Huntington" doesn't mean anything at all.

Aha! So there *IS* an alternative to the 'tower-on-a-plinthe' model! Well, sort of. Obviously this plan cut back the height by a lot, but hopefully it will inspire future developments of this sort to make additions that are more harmonious with the original structure. You can see a tiny-ass picture in the NYT article linked below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/arts/design/14fost.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

this could be the same project,only I took this picture in 1987? when 101 Arch was underconstruction. click on pix to enlarge

It looks like they're ready to dig down:

img9345bz2.jpg

img9386wt4.jpg

img9387tc5.jpg

img9388ew1.jpg

img9389nz4.jpg

Back