Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

nice something new(nite shot)!

I REALLY like this building. Walked by it (never go to the Financial District anymore) a few days ago and I am impressed so far.

The slants reminds me of the Four Season Hotel in Miami.

Take down that freaking piece of trash propaganda. How many other projects has Menino branded around town?

039-10.jpg

By the way, I love this building. Got a chance to see it over the weekend and it fits in with the area. It also makes the Intercontinental look less random and compliments it nicely.

The last high-rise to be built in Boston for probably the next decade.

topped off!

Aw, I was hoping they would forget when to stop and just keep on building for 10 or 20 more floors :p

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated with photos

The last high-rise to be built in Boston for probably the next decade.

Another 10 floors would be nice. Oh well. Everyone here's gonna go batsh-t crazy in the meantime! There's lots of pretty pictures of what could be, but no shovels going in the ground.

BHA says Russia Wharf owners reneg on promise
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

The Boston Harbor Association alleges that Russia Wharf?s owners, Boston Properties Inc., is going back on its promise to locate free public performance space on the first floor in favor of putting a restaurant there instead, said Vivien Li, executive director of the association. According to the BHA, Boston Properties was granted the right to build a taller building in exchange for public space on the ground floor.

The Boston Harbor Association wrote a letter to the state Department of Environmental Protection in April commenting on changes Boston Properties requested. The changes have to be approved by DEP since the agency grant licenses for waterways development under Chapter 91.

Li has been in discussions with Boston Properties for the past six months about the changes. In her letter, Li wrote that Boston Properties asked to reduce the size of a ground floor ?Town Square? by 200 square feet to 6,100 square feet, has moved a ?Multi-Media Presentation Area? of 3,800 square feet from the first to second floor. Li said the areas will not be visible from the street and therefore relatively hidden from the public. Also, Boston Properties has added a 2,800-square-foot outdoor terrace as part of the Multi-Media Presentation Area which will make year-round lectures and screenings difficult.

Li said she only wants Boston Properties to hold up its end of the bargain. She said the developer received approved to exceed height regulations and built between 100 feet and 150 taller in exchange for providing the public spaces. Boston Properties did not respond to requests for comment.

?We?re just saying, ?Do what you agreed to do,? ? said Li.

?What should have been a free, robust public space is now being chopped up,? Li added.

There was no mention of the flap during the ?topping off? ceremony held on Tuesday. The ceremony commemorates when the last beam of structural steel is set in place.

Russia Wharf is a the 854,000-square-foot project on the edge of Boston?s Financial District, the Rose Kennedy Greenway and the Fort Point Channel. The ceremony was attended by Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Boston Properties Inc.

The $500 million, 31-story mixed-use project includes 60,000 square feet for retail space as well as 5,000 square feet for artist-work space and 65 new units of housing, according to a press release from Menino?s office. Russia Wharf is preleased to Wellington Management and is one of the few office buildings under development in Boston. Wellington Management Co. LLP is leasing approximately 450,000 of the 750,000 square feet of office space in the building and will bring 1,500 employees to the neighborhood.

?This project will be a tremendous addition to our downtown waterfront, bringing new residential, office, retail and artist work space to the area,? Menino said in a statement. ?Even in this economic climate, Boston still has projects that are moving forward.

Construction began early last year. CBT Architects was hired to oversaw the design for the historic rehabilitation of the 19th century buildings. The project is expected to earn LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification and will be complete in 2011.

Has anybody else seen the GIGANTIC "Mayor Menino" campaign banner on this property?

Do you think the BRA will have ANY problem with what Boston Properties is asking for?

But let's not let Vivien Li off the hook - this is the same elitist snob who fought the Atlantic Beer Garden, the Seaport's only redeeming waterfront amenity for regular people.

...the Atlantic Beer Garden, the Seaport's only redeeming waterfront amenity for regular people.

I really wanna like this place. But the service is shoddy, and the food is iffy at best.

Maybe some competition will raise the bar?

^^I have to agree...the roofdeck is all this place has going for it, and that has seasonal/weather restrictions. But I still like it.

You guys are too hard on Viv. She just wants follow through on the things she extorted out of them! Is that so much to ask? I guess Jerry Angulo's death has made everyone go soft.

To clarify - I've never even been to the Atlantic Beer Garden. I just see it packed on nice days, and all the life it brings to an otherwise dead waterfront and it makes me happy.

That land was been for quasi sale - but at prices that would only welcome another high-lux condo development, with a $25-entree restaurant in the ground floor. The fabled Harborwalk could continue, and working class people would be excluded - a great success in the eyes of Viv.

I am baffled, extremely baffled, actually, that the 7-11 in the area has a liquor license (beer wine).

From my understanding, a chain is allowed to hold 3 in the state. Why did 7-11 chose THAT one?

a chain is allowed to hold 3 in the state

Who the fuck wrote this law? Ugh.

Who the fuck wrote this law? Ugh.

Dont quote me on that one...but its what I remember from the vote to allow supermarkets and such to have more.

Shaws, for example, has their Copley location as one of their liquor spots.

^ good one!^ Today from Dot
IMG_8952.jpg
93 North while driveing south
IMG_8946.jpg
IMG_8945.jpg
downtown
IMG_8870.jpg
IMG_8962-1.jpg
from dorchester^

Back