Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

^^^ Great pictures! It took me a while to figure out the 2nd one was through the mirror. I was thinking, "where the &*^% did he take this shot from?!"

I walk by this building a couple times a week. When I see Atlantic Wharf next to the Intercontinental, it really feels like it just belongs there. It creates a nice step down effect; I love the different color glass. But really, how they finish off the roof is going to be the make it or break it for me. Regardless, this may be the last big project built here for a little while, so I'm just going to soak it all in... sigh.

I usually scoff at all the "It should be 10 stories taller" talk but seeing it from a distance it really should be 10 stories taller.

That's the economics of Boston real estate for you. 25-40 stories is what works, not 70 stories like Hizzonah wishes.

To clarify - I've never even been to the Atlantic Beer Garden. I just see it packed on nice days, and all the life it brings to an otherwise dead waterfront and it makes me happy.

That land was been for quasi sale - but at prices that would only welcome another high-lux condo development, with a $25-entree restaurant in the ground floor. The fabled Harborwalk could continue, and working class people would be excluded - a great success in the eyes of Viv.

The food was "ok". The beer selection was good. The waitstaff was personable. My favorite thing though was the hostess. Not drop dead gorgeous or anything, but she had a beautiful Irish accent that drove me nuts....

I am baffled, extremely baffled, actually, that the 7-11 in the area has a liquor license (beer wine).

From my understanding, a chain is allowed to hold 3 in the state. Why did 7-11 chose THAT one?

I would look a bit closer at that law. Maybe it's because liquor licenses and beer and wine licenses are different, but many more than 3 7-11's in the state sell beer. The one in Rockland does, the one in Whitman does, trying to remember if the one near my place in Brockton does. Then again convenience stores and supermarkets are very different animals too, and may fall under different laws. Toby would probably know.

Are 7-11s franchises rather than company-owned? If so, the 3-license limit applies to each franchisee and not to the chain as a whole.

I think you're on to something, Ron. The 7-11 in Harvard Square sells beer & wine. I brown-bagged it many times on the way home from my old job.

Last edited:

...this may be the last big project built here for a little while, so I'm just going to soak it all in... sigh.

I usually scoff at all the "It should be 10 stories taller" talk but seeing it from a distance it really should be 10 stories taller.

That is just pathetically short.

That's the economics of Boston real estate for you. 25-40 stories is what works, not 70 stories like Hizzonah wishes.
Depressingly humdrum.

The taper is becoming much more pronounced as the skin goes up however.

If it were 10-20 stories taller, wouldn't it just be the same height as many of the surrounding buildings? You'd all be whinging about the "plateau effect" then.

I like the effect of the skyline "stepping up" from the harbor. True, Hong Kong has supertall buildings abutting its waters, but let's wait for something spectacular before ruining the tapered effect.

Yeah, I think so. It still addresses the harbor, albeit in a different and more creative way than the "stepping" process. If it were a little taller it would stand out more and make an even better case for exception.

Are 7-11s franchises rather than company-owned? If so, the 3-license limit applies to each franchisee and not to the chain as a whole.

That may be whats going on.

It just always baffled me that the 7-11 in Kenmore, or the one on Park and Buswell (surrounded by college students) didnt sell beer, but this one in the middle of nowhere does.

It's easy walking distance for me on those nights I need to work late at the office, and don't feel like shelling out too much dough at the Blue Wave or Lucky's. The metro convenience store also sells beer and wine.

@ Night taken from a 10 story abandoned building in Fort Point

3832882297_8053846895.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/3832882297/

Very cool. I love the facade that curves along the street below.

Look! A real city!

A shame this architecturally rich district isn't a focal point in Boston's nightlife.

@ Night taken from a 10 story abandoned building in Fort Point...
Why is there an abandoned building in Fort Point?

Especially, why is there a ten-story abandoned building?

^^ Looks like it's 51 Melcher St to me. I used to work in that building in a contractor's field office. There was a mix of artists' studios, industrial office space, and other light industrial use (I think there was a printing press above us). Really shitty, C-class space, but a handsome building and a great location. The landlord started bouncing everyone when their leases came up because the owner was planning to develop. High end residential at the time . . . was going to be "the next SoHo" if I recall correctly . . .

I think the owner was Beacon Capital at the time (the guys who took a bath on the Channel Center), but don't quote me on that.

Back