Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

^AmericanFolkLegend

The Atlantic Wharf "benefits" package has shifted in the media so many times I've given up on keeping up with it. I received this e-mail a week ago which I think was from a City press release on the latest BRA Board approvals:

The Board approved the transfer of $3 million in mitigation funds from the
Russia Wharf redevelopment project, which is currently under construction
with an expected occupancy date of February 2011, to Historic Tours of
America for improvements to the Congress Street bridge and tender?s house.
The developer, Boston Properties, is providing substantial public realm
improvements to the immediate area, including Harborwalk, a one-third acre
public plaza and promenade that connects to the water transportation
facilities at 500 Atlantic Avenue, improvements to Children?s Wharf Park,
and the expansion of the Congress Street sidewalk. However, the area
surrounding the Congress Street bridge, which is owned by the City?s Public
Works Department, and the attached bridge tender?s house, which is owned by
the City?s Public Facilities Department, cannot be restored and must be
demolished and replaced. This is necessary in order to match the significant
upgrades to the area?s public realm and to accommodate the expected increase
in pedestrian activity from those who live, work, and visit the area.

The Russia Wharf redevelopment project is a mixed-use development that
includes up to 709,500 square feet of office space, approximately 92,000
square feet of residential space with 65 residential rental units,
approximately 57,500 to 69,000 square feet of retail/restaurant/civic space,
and approximately 650 below-grade parking spaces.Historic Tours of America
expects the improvement work to begin this summer.

^AFL Re. Hynes

I'm assuming your referring to Seaport Square's proposed housing?

I'll believe it when I see it.

If I have the facts straight, Hynes is building roughly 125 housing units in Phase 1. That's something like a six story building. LOL.

I'm guessing that the new BCEC proposed expansion covers some of the parcels that Hynes suggested would eventually host the remaining 2400 units of housing. I may be wrong about this point, but my understanding is that BCEC expansion overlaps Hynes residential parcels and overlaps parcels cited as residential owned by USPS in the 100 Acre Plan. Conflict abounds.

At the same time, if I recall the plans correctly, Phase 1 of Seaport Square puts an office building next to the Courthouse that has the largest footprint in the Seaport District (not including BCEC). It's a stumpy behemoth.

So why didn't the City require ample residential development to be built concurrent with Hynes megablock office building? The answer to that question is definitely above my pay grade.

An update regarding my earlier response to Hutchison...

Atlantic Wharf's Congress Street bridge improvements may not qualify in my list of odd examples of BRA "exactions." If they are referring to it as "mitigation" in the BRA Board notes, that seems to imply the $3M is fulfilling State obligations under Chapter 91.

^Sicilian I was indeed referring to Seaport Square housing. Hynes' plan to:
be the first developers in Boston to test new models of workforce housing that shrink unit sizes and rely on shared amenities, transportation and public spaces.

From a B&T article from last month. I will post it in its entirety in the Seaport Square thread. I completely agree with your comment that "I'll believe it when I see it."

I am a proponent of preservation where it makes sense, including Fort Point, but I'd have preferred Russia Wharf had been entirely demolished than what we have now.

Sorry to disrupt the direction of this thread, but I can't help but address the above comment. Although the tower portion of this project may be seen as lackluster and akward in its interaction with the wharf building at the base, I am relieved the wharf buildings were preserved. If those wharf buildings were demolished, I think we would have had a steetwall more akin to one financial place. I'm less concerned about how the juxtaposition of these buildings appear compared to the impact of the local streetwall. I think we should consider ourselves lucky the wharf buildings remained - this is a massive block.

^^I agree 100%.

To me, how a building interacts with the street is the single most important element to any project built in an urban space.

Personally, I've never seen a post-WWII building that does a better job at the street level than those buildings. I doubt this project would have been the one to counter that trend.

Sicilian, thanks for digging these up. Really important analysis.

4850395002_5b18d5964c_b.jpg

Corbu: "Not quite what I wanted, but I'll take it."

I get it, towers in the park, but I really don't agree with all the hate thrown at these projects. I like how they interact with each other and, at least in Atlantic Wharf's case, the street.

I drove by this building this morning and was very impressed at how the brick facade was cleaned and restored, it looks incrediblly good. A great job.

I get it, towers in the park, but I really don't agree with all the hate thrown at these projects. I like how they interact with each other and, at least in Atlantic Wharf's case, the street.

I don't hate the projects so much as the effect they create when viewed in tandem with the Greenway. It's one thing to have a sterile, empty park...do we have to surround it with sterile, empty architecture, too?

I don't think the architecture is overwhelmingly sterile. I think the issue with the area is the park, not the towers. The towers can easily hold retail, etc., in the base. As has been said before, the immediate streetwall is the most important aspect of a building.

some more from last week
124-1.jpg
127-1.jpg
129-1.jpg
148-2.jpg
161-2.jpg
160-2.jpg
159-2.jpg
158-2.jpg
153-2.jpg
152-1.jpg
149-2.jpg
continue the hate

They're not even towers in a park. They are towers adjacent to a park. There is nothing wrong with that. The only problem here is that the parks fail at being parks.

I like how they interact with each other and, at least in Atlantic Wharf's case, the street.

Clearly there are strong opinions on both sides of this project.

If Atlantic Wharf's street interactions are key, I've seen nothing descriptive about what this project offers the street other than photographs.

Will the doors formerly available for blocks of retail spaces and commercial establishments along Atlantic and Congress Street remain available, or will those doors be closed as walls for internal amenities and office/hotel lobby space? Is there a floor plan online?

What is the plan for the outdoor spaces along the Fort Point Channel?

These seem like fair questions if folks are complimentary about the ground level programming.

Yeah, sorry, as far as I know none of these buildings have anything at ground level other than lobbies. There's potentially a Starbucks planned for Atlantic Wharf. They don't have lawns right in front like the Federal Reserve: whoop de doo?

Back