Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

The old Garden needed to be replaced, but, unfortunately, they replaced it with that soulless box that stands there now. It's too bad the same developers who created Gillette Stadium couldn't have had a say in how to make the Garden a little more iconic.

However, I won't cry over spilled milk...I just hope these developments around the Garden actually get built. They have the expressway, two subway lines and roughly half the commuter lines that come into the city all located in that area. There's no reason to believe that people won't want to relocate to that area!

The new garden was clearly designed to be tucked away behind these 3 buildings on each side. I am perfectly fine with the garden being the soulless box as long as it is surrounded by 3 300-600ft towers.

The old Garden needed to be replaced, but, unfortunately, they replaced it with that soulless box that stands there now. It's too bad the same developers who created Gillette Stadium couldn't have had a say in how to make the Garden a little more iconic.

However, I won't cry over spilled milk...I just hope these developments around the Garden actually get built. They have the expressway, two subway lines and roughly half the commuter lines that come into the city all located in that area. There's no reason to believe that people won't want to relocate to that area!

I think the era that we lost those three iconic buildings is my biggest gripe. It's not like it was the 50s with sweeping urban renewal, this was all the late 80s-90s. People knew better. The old garden would have been a great base for a new tower and could have been used for convention or swing space in the mean time. Even if it was used for nothing it would have been better than the parking lot. It also was an actual train station vs the disaster we have now (improved, but it has all the glamour of a NYC bus station).

Same with the Madison (which I will admit I was not aware of until this thread). It was a decent piece of deco, and I see no reason it couldn't have been renovated into a new hotel or even into government offices vs implosion.

The building to the right at least died for a good cause, but I would imagine that the tunnel could have been extended a bit further out if not for the fixation on building an iconic bridge (which is in a horrible location for an icon, but I digress)

Once the lots are all developed it will be much better, but its just a shame we lost what we did when we did.

The building to the right at least died for a good cause, but I would imagine that the tunnel could have been extended a bit further out if not for the fixation on building an iconic bridge (which is in a horrible location for an icon, but I digress)

Pretty sure it was demolished for the elevated artery.

Edit: Ah, got it; torn down for the bridge. My memory on what got torn down vs what was already down is hazy.

Last edited:

The building to the right was taken down for the Big Dig. The Feds may have owned near the end because it housed the Boston regional office of the Small Business Adm.

That was called the 'Analex' buildling, though I'm not sure why. It was one of the very few buildings demolished for the Big Dig. I'm quite happy to trade it away for the Zakim Bridge.

Also, in this neighborhood, wasn't the old RMV building (located between the Nashua St. jail and the Garden) demolished for the big dig too.

Anyone have a picture of the original proposal for this site - the PoMo renderings from way back? Those were great.

^Thanks!

503 units and 219 parking spots (yes, there is already a giant garage there but still). I am liking the trend of less parking spaces than units. A recognition of how people will actually live in this area.

The Exeter building is nice, but from other Avalon complexes, I know they don't stray far in design. I hope we get something nice.

Seeing how it is now 503 units instead of 363 condos, is it safe to say that these units are not luxury condos?

Can't wait for the NIMBY backlash, which in this case would be the inmates at the jail.

"Tower Residents assail new Tower Plan."

"Six killed by Shadows from new Tower"

^^ Hahahahaha! Love it BB.

Now that we know the floor count / height is the same, I seriously hope the design is at least consistent with what it was a few years ago.

Leaving aside the fact that this might have been a good location to go higher (but that ship sailed long ago), the biggest question I have about this development will be the street level and the approach to the Garden. This is the primary entrance into a major sporting venue, which since its construction has been lined by metal barricades and looked decidedly temporary. I'm really hoping a legit approach is part of this plan and it's not just going to be an alley lined with dumpsters and trash cans from the towers.

I agree. When I used to live in the North End I would walk to work in East/Cambridge it was very 'temporary' (good word choice). With the additional housing at the garage, the build out of north point, and the 2 more pedestrian bridges, this place will see even more foot traffic and be more of an entrance. I hope they don't treat it like the ass end of a train station.

Back