Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

I think Bowesst is right. I think the LT is where the red bushes are in the pic and the tower is in between the LT and the Garden. They probably left it out of the image on purpose.

Is this tower part of the original 3 tower plan for the area (along with the other red towers?)

Scott said:
Boston needs housing more than a landmark building BUT (big but) this is the building that for now will be most visible when entering the city from the Zakim Bridge and the new parks along the Charles so I was kinda hoping for something more.

I think everyone is in agreement about where in terms of importance to not only the development of the city, but to the overall health of the city that these buildings (Winthrop Sq. included) probably aren't in the top 10. We're just all impressed and into skyscrapers and buildings, especially what's going on in our own city so we like to critique and discuss projects. I'm sure most of us would take safer streets and better schools over a new tower, but that's not the choice and it's not like they're mutually exclusive.

Getting back on topic, I think you'll be suprised how this building will look when it's done. I think the black glass if it's not ridiculously reflective will be a nice addition and it looks like the top will be lit, based on other types of buildings with the same style. I don't know what the industry term for these new tops are, but they seem to be increasingly popular in the last few years or so.

I hate facade on buildings, there are buildings out there that make me shudder when I see them due to the facade. I don't think the white is that bad of choice in contrast to the black/dark glass. Looking at Providence's new tall, or at least the renderings I thought the black/blue combination was horrible, this one I don't mind so much and I'll never be one to stick up for facade on any building.

I don't mean to be picky, but every building has a facade. It can be brick, glass, stone, metal, etc. The facade is just the buildings exterior.

Bostonskyguy, when you say you don't like facade what exactly are you referring too?

TC said:
I don't mean to be picky, but every building has a facade. It can be brick, glass, stone, metal, etc. The facade is just the buildings exterior.

Bostonskyguy, when you say you don't like facade what exactly are you referring too?

Good point. I meant the type of facade on this building, the white squares. I can't stand it, it looks like cheap like legos or something.

Isn`t this a residential building? I meant the housing was generally more important than the facade, though I do remember years ago the buildings planned for North Station were much more attractive.

outdated

The facade could be allot worse. they at least have that dark glass corner.
I like the simplicity in the of the white and dark glass and this looks OK to me.
The only problem is that this wont be the case 5 to ten years down the road when better buildings are up. By the this will look very outdated. they could have made the facade a bit more interesting by having diff layers or levels of it as opposed to the massive plain flat surface.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the opposite corner (the one not visible in these renderings), is also black glass. This has the effect of breaking the tower up into 4 separate, seemingly more slender, masses.

I've walked and ridden around this area, and now I'm even more confused. I see the Big Dig building new connector roads from Lowell Street to Nashua Street, on the exact footprint of this new building.

Ron Newman said:
I've walked and ridden around this area, and now I'm even more confused. I see the Big Dig building new connector roads from Lowell Street to Nashua Street, on the exact footprint of this new building.

Lowell St.? Do you mean Lomansey Way? That's what Google Maps calls the road which connects Causeway St. to Martha Rd.

I think the confusion is that the Nashua St. Residences will not fill the entire width of the O'Neill Building, but will be about half that width, butting right up to the Fleet Center. The connector roads you see, Ron, should take up the other half (close to Lomansey Way). At least, that's what I take away from the renderings and the layout of connector roads on the Big Dig project map.

ckb said:
Lowell St.? Do you mean Lomansey Way?

yeah, but I've never heard anyone actually use that name.

The connector roads look to me like they go diagonally across the entire rectangle. (I'm not sure why they are needed at all, but they are being built.)

The connector roads. I'm not sure what these are for either. The new tower will surely obliterate some of them.

NStaRoads-01.jpg

NStaRoads-02.jpg

NStaRoads-03.jpg

DowntownDave said:
The connector roads. I'm not sure what these are for either.
Spaghetti. Why are they building spaghetti in the city? Belongs in the suburbs.

DowntownDave said:
The new tower will surely obliterate some of them.
Don't be so sure. They did the same thing in the Seaport District, and it's there for the duration.

What do you call that part of town anyway?

South Boston is further down where the fabric's fine-grained and the Irish used to live.

Seaport District hasn't really caught on, has it? Seems pretentious.

Some people used to call it Fort Point. More than just the Channel?

Old Harbor? Not so old any more.

Sorry, off topic.

i guess this is the area between the north end, and the west end...
i think most people would refer to is as Charles River Park, but when speaking about this particular area, I don't think there is a specific place-name (North Station?), since as you can see, there is no 'there' there to name.

Re: ..

Merper said:
i guess this is the area between the north end, and the west end...
i think most people would refer to is as Charles River Park, but when speaking about this particular area, I don't think there is a specific place-name (North Station?), since as you can see, there is no 'there' there to name.
Ha, that's funny; this area doesn't have a name either (North Station?), because it doesn't have much identity.

I was digressing about the Seaport District and didn't make it sufficiently clear. My bad.

(Haven't been gone long enough to confuse North Station with Fort Point Channel. A lifetime's absence isn't enough to get that forgetful.)

So: what do you call the area that contains the Fish Pier, the Convention Center and the Children's Museum?

I usually juggle back and forth between "Seaport" and "South Boston Waterfront." I think those are the two most established names for the area. Other names such as "Fort Point" and "Fan Pier" refer to more specific areas rather than the entire district.

I generally use "Waterfront" for the Seaport area, and even though there are many, many waterfronts around town, people seem to know which one I'm referring to. I use "by North Station" for that area, because I don't know of a regular name and everyone knows where NS is. NS is near Bullfinch Triangle, right? That name might catch on as the area gets built out. (It's all artery air rights.)

Other areas with uncertain names?

There's the place I (but pretty much no one else) call Mission Flats: between Mission Hill, Northeastern, Huntintington, and Columbus. This I believe is technically part of "Mission Hill", but it's not on the hill.

Nameless neighborhoods

Way back in 1960, Kevin Lynch's book The Image of the City identified the triangle between Huntington Avenue, Boylston Street, and Mass. Ave. as a neighborhood with no name and no identity -- neither Back Bay nor South End.

Since then, the Pru, the Hynes, and the Christian Science Center were built (the last of which displaced a fair amount of housing), but the area still is in limbo between Back Bay and South End. So is St. Botolph Street, for that matter.

As for the Lowell and Nashua street area -- once upon a time, this was just part of the West End.

Has anyone else seen this?!
It reads, "The Greatest Neighborhood This Side of Heaven".
Apparently that is the new name for the neighborhood including the "Lone Tenement". :lol:
StorrowRamp2.jpg

... wow. thats a bold proclamation for the spagetti junction of highways, streets and trains that this oversized sign is overwelmed by.

Yeah, I guess they must mean the West End. It's one of those "big lies" - say it loud enough, and maybe people will believe it.

Back