Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

don't believe the hype

I wouldn't put much stock in that story. I know that Delaware North has been shopping the deal in the front and the back of the garden. I would be very surprised if anything happens imminently on either site.

Wow this is great news! I am glad they are taking initiative to get this thing going. I am hoping that this thing will be under construction before the 36 month mark...18 months would be so good! Even less would be amazing. I can't wait to see this building built, it will transform the skyline from that view! I am also hoping they build the other two towers, but obviously that will be a while to wait for if it ever happens :(

how can Jacobs blame the design-review process or the BRA, when he hasn't even started the process? If he'd applied for permits as soon as the Old Garden was demolished, he'd have finished all the development by now.

how can Jacobs blame the design-review process or the BRA, when he hasn't even started the process

Hmmmmmmm, probably by observing what happened to Columbus Center over the past decade from the beginning of the process to the present.

design review

Ron,

the design review process for the Nashua Street project is complete...approvals are in hand and the building is completely designed. The property out front has not begun the design review process.

You'd think that all that time poured into "improving" these projects by developer and govt. agencies would yield a really great product.

Since they've all been "improved" for about five years, think how terrible they must have been when first proposed. ;)

Or were they in fact better?

LOL. Based on what I've seen going up lately in Charles River Park (West End) and elsewhere, the lengthy review process evidently insures that proposed buildings look as drab, Stalinesque and Soviet as possible. The grey or beige concrete panel curtain wall seems to be the requisite look for new buildings in Boston.

Charlie_mta said:
LOL. Based on what I've seen going up lately in Charles River Park (West End) and elsewhere, the lengthy review process evidently insures that proposed buildings look as drab, Stalinesque and Soviet as possible. The grey or beige concrete panel curtain wall seems to be the requisite look for new buildings in Boston.

I think this was covered in another thread but that isn't zoning regulations, that is the style and how buildings are built today. I see 10x as many pre-fab concrete buildings going up in NYC. They stand out in Boston because they are usually larger than other buildings and because they are the only new things being built.

from the BBJ:

Maher, vice president of Boston Garden Development Corp., said the planned 361-unit condo project called Nashua Street Residences has stalled.

The 37-story tower, located behind the TD Banknorth Garden, was approved in mid-2005 and is significant in both cost and risk, said Maher. For that reason and to respond to the market slowdown for midrange, Boston Garden Development is in search of alternatives, including a development or financial partner.

"The market softened as we came out of the approvals for that building," said Maher. "That's a lot of product to bring into the marketplace."

Maher said he'll wait at least a year for the market to turn around before beginning construction.

High-end developers push forward while those in the midrange step to sidelines

Given all the events at the Garden, a hotel and entertainment complex seems like a natural for the site. I think they should build out the front of the Garden on Causeway St. first to generate amenities for the area. Then residential would make sense.

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

The Herald said:
Second Garden-area rental project eyed
By Scott Van Voorhis | Thursday, November 29, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets
f3a50796ec_render_11292007.jpg

Photo by Simpson Housing LP

An 11-story apartment complex will take shape near the TD Banknorth Garden, the latest project in a growing residential enclave around the sports complex.

Colorado-based Simpson Housing has filed plans with City Hall to build a 283-unit apartment mid-rise on reclaimed Big Dig land near the Garden and North Station.

The project will also include enough retail space for a pair of restaurants on the ground floor, as well as a couple of small shops.

Simpson hopes to break ground next summer, after gaining approval for its plans from city and state officials, on what would be the first Boston project for the national apartment developer,

The rental market in Boston, especially on the high-end, is on the upswing, with jitters about the condo market stoking demand for apartments.

?It?s a prime location between the North End and the West End,? said Spencer Welton, a senior vice president of development at Simpson. ?It?s an area that is certainly up and coming.?

Simpson joins a growing number of residential developers now targeting streets and undeveloped lots around the Garden and North Station.

Next door to Simpson?s development site, another rental complex, the Avenir, is taking shape through a partnership between local builder Trinity Development and a national firm, Archstone.

The Strada condo midrise opened a few years ago, while Delaware North, owner of the Garden, has been planning a residential tower on a nearby lot for several years.

Rents at Simpson?s new complex, set to open in 2010, will start at $1,600 a month, topping out at $4,000 a month for apartments on the top floor. The units will average about 800 square feet of space.

?I think the neighborhood is just at the very cusp of starting to take shape,? Simpson?s Welton said.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1047769
Link

That rendering looks like it came from an eighth grade art class.

^^^ yep, pretty much.

So where is this going in relation to Avenir and the tower?

And who is building the supermarket in that area, and when?

Though I've followed this forum for years now (previously on the bsg page), this is my first post in quite some time--normally I do not feel as though I can constructively contribute to the discussions, but very much enjoy this forum as a means of keeping abreast of what is being built (or trying to be built) in and around Boston.

Thank you to everyone that does post as it is a very informative and thought-provoking source of information for me.

Back on-topic, I noticed a tower crane erected recenlty on the south side of the TD Banknorth Garden . . . I've not had the chance to go directly by there and get a closer look (and better ascertain what it might be being used for) . . . does anyone know anything about this?

Anyone have new updates about Nashua St. project? If you ask me this is a pretty big development. Nothing near it is touching 37 stories. It will be a very noticible addition to the Boston Skyline, especially coming in from the north of Boston. Plus I believe that the front of the Garden can have 500 foot high towers built. It is going to make the Bullfinch, north station, whatever you want to call it, area a much more serious neighborhood than it currently is. Too bad for that prison at that otherwise awsome location. I also hear that Spalding Rehabe is moving out. Who know's what might replace that.

EDIT: I posted Avenir photos here. Moved them to the proper thread.

Last edited:

Back