Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

The hospital is moving to the Navy Yard. I am not sure whether they (the hospital) owns the land on Nashua Street. The Spaulding site says the new hospital is to open in 2010; if that's true, they should start construction this year.

The ultimate expansion-limiting factor at North Station is the limited capacity of the Draw Bridge over the Charles River as every train has to pass over it

There are a total of 4 tracks on the too halves of the bridge--- and the bridge is too low to let anything except a speedboat to pass without having to open the bridge

This is a rather difficult problem to resolve -- even if the Spaulding moves -- unless you dig a tunnel or build a another bridge -- neither of which is likely to happen in the near future

Westy

If you are refering to the second Globe image (yellow-tinted), I totally agree. It's amazing to think that there was this vision back in the early 90's. Those towers look amazing, and it would have easily created another downtown area in itself. I am sure it's thanks to the likes of Vivian, Marty, and Shirley that this never happened. And to think what it could have looked like now with the bridge and loss of expressway.
It would have been real nice,but then maybe other later towers would not have been built?

When it comes down to it, I don't think as many people would want to live on the water side of North Station, with the prison nearby and roads and rail seemingly cutting you off from the rest of Boston. Wouldn't be my first choice as it stands.

There has been netting over parts of North Station facing the train tracks for some time now. It was on the left side of the building for a while, closest to the highway, and now it's on the left. I'm guessing this has nothing to do with Nashua Street Residence... but does anyone know what the deal is with that?

before they tore down the last "el" and North Station,and one from the week after they tore it down, left click to enlarge pix

Last edited:

God, Boston has become boring.

Must be the current mayor.

But it sure is boring compared with how it used to be !!

Oh yes !

The old Garden couldve become the hockey/basketball equivalent of Fenway Park -- a stadium that carries as much cache as the team it hosts. I'd bet that Fenway probably draws more casual fans and tourists than the team itself. I seriously doubt anyone has ever bought a ticket to a Celtics or Bruins game just to specifically experience a game in the new TD Garden, or whatever it's called this week -- its name is actually irrevelent, because watching a game here is exactly like watching a game in Tampa Bay, Dallas or wherever. It's just your league-standard cinderblock box, with about as much character as a high school gymnasium.

And I agree, when the elevated rail came down, all of Causeway's vibrancy just floated off into space.

While Causeway St was the last place in Boston where you could experience the noir-like old city if Edward Hopper, the tearing down of the El clears the slate for the next generation to come and and define the city. The only real thing that is killing Causeway St now is the parking lot in front of the Garden. Once a couple of towers are built here the area will feel much more like an urban place again. Give it time.

Give it time?

It has been a decade!

Why there isn't 2-3 million square feet of mixed use at North Station is difficult for me to understand.

Ha! The GSA/federal building is also killing Causeway Street.

Give it time?
It has been a decade!

You are right, in terms of the old Garden, but that wasn't what I meant. I meant that the area is still just recovering from 80 years of urban blight and that takes way more time than 10 years.

You are right, in terms of the old Garden, but that wasn't what I meant. I meant that the area is still just recovering from 80 years of urban blight and that takes way more time than 10 years.
Isn't the O'Neill building by itself good for another 80 years of blight ?

How sad would it be if it were and stood there longer than the old Garden had?

Why all the harping on the O'Neill federal building? Is it only because it would be a superb site for a 55 story tower owed by a bank in federal receivership? The porch is a great place to avoid the rain for a few minutes on the walk up to Cambridge street. The lobby is much more inviting than most of the towers downtown. Too bad you have to go through strict security to get there. But the number of employees located there adds vibrance to the area. Lastly, Dunkin' Donuts wouldn't survive if not for all those federal employees enjoying their 3X per day designated coffee breaks!

Nashua St. will have a hard time going vertical since there are millions of added costs to build a transfer level above the North Station garage.

As for the parking lot in front of the TD Garden, Delaware North owns it and wants to develop it. The only sticking point is that they want a partner to come in to buy the land from them (actually 1/2 of the total value with DNC putting 1/2 the land in as their equity) and then JV on a deal going forward. So, long story short, the land is too pricey for most development partners and DNC cannot (or will not) do the deal on their own. Plus, getting financing isn't exactly easy these days.

I think long term it is a great spot for a mixed use entertainment complex with restaurants, an ESPN Zone, Lucky Strike bowling alley, movie theater, grocery store, other retail, etc...along with a hotel, apartments, condos, and office making up the higher floors (nice rooftop bar would be nice too).

Back