Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

Yes. Yaletown, Vancouver.

Ideally, the new Causeway Street would have pedestrian ramps, bike lanes, flower planters, street lamps, and outdoor cafes.

Is that really ideal? Whose ideal? Isn't that what we are trying to do to every street? That seems boring.
No kidding, it should be narrow, dark, and mysterious, much as it was when the El was still there.
It had character. I remember walking under the El as one of my first experiences in Boston and I'll never forget it. Not suggesting that the El was better, it isn't, but why replace character with the same crap we get everywhere? Oh wait, that's all America can do apparently.

One of my first experiences in Boston that really enamored me of this city was an evening spent trying to get to the Science Museum to see the Pink Floyd laser show. Not understanding the quirks of the Green Line, we ended up on a C train that emerged at the surface portal. We had no clue where to even find through trains so we decided to walk, but didn't really know how to get there. Then we noticed the el tracks, and walked under them the rest of the way. It was so perfectly urban.

Isn't the Greenline Viaduct up for reconstruction some time fairly soon? I'd say put it over the road between Science Park and the new Lechmere to save money and make it easier logistically (then again, now that I think about it, it might be a traffic problem). But I bet the Museum of Science would fight so hard, though.

The Green Line viaduct between Science Park and Lechmere is a historic structure and looks fine where it is now.

The Green Line viaduct between Science Park and Lechmere is a historic structure and looks fine where it is now.

Looks fine, yes, but I thought I read that there will be a need for serious structural repairs or replacement within 25 years to maintain it's integrity.

If the Celtics organization was smart they would threaten to leave the city unless the Jacobs sell them the TDGARDEN. Without the Boston Celtics their is no more NORTH STATION. On a positive note at least we would get rid of the Jacob Boys.

If the Celtics organization was smart they would threaten to leave the city unless the Jacobs sell them the TDGARDEN. Without the Boston Celtics their is no more NORTH STATION. On a positive note at least we would get rid of the Jacob Boys.

That wouldn't be smart. If they leave the city, there will be no Celtics with no stadium to play and the fan base being pretty pissed off that they are willing to bail on them.

one of the dumbest statements iv heard in a long time

one of the dumbest statements iv heard in a long time

How do you figure? If the Celtics can force the Jacobs into selling them the stadium then the Celtics organization gets all the concessions. The Boston Celtics are getting ripped off sharing their profits with the Jacob brothers. I wonder what the percent of Revenues the Celtics bring in for the Jacobs compared to the Bruins and other Venues. I wouldn't beside surprised if it was over 60 or 70%. So how is that Dumb for the Celtics? I think their management is dumb for sharing their profits with those LOSERS.

Just remember Kraft almost packed up for Connecticut back in the day. It's ashame Menino would not allow Patriots stadium in the Seaport District.

The Celtics could always buy the site for the former Garden and build a new arena next to the current one. It would be a vast improvement over the parking lot and almost anything would be better than the sterile concrete block whale the 'Shawmut Center' is.

How do you figure? If the Celtics can force the Jacobs into selling them the stadium then the Celtics organization gets all the concessions. The Boston Celtics are getting ripped off sharing their profits with the Jacob brothers. I wonder what the percent of Revenues the Celtics bring in for the Jacobs compared to the Bruins and other Venues. I wouldn't beside surprised if it was over 60 or 70%. So how is that Dumb for the Celtics? I think their management is dumb for sharing their profits with those LOSERS.

For reasons I already mentioned. By trying to force Jacob to sell it to them, they lose the use of the stadium and revenue. Fans sees the Celtics as a money first, fan second organization. Bruins would have to discuss about how the revenue will be shared. It's a lose lose situation.

That's just an awful idea. Mostly because Jacobs would call their bluff without blinking an eye. Moving out of Boston would be a terrible move for the Celtics, regardless of what their current situation is. You think it would be better in some second-rate city like Boise or Omaha?

I don't think they would leave boston, i think they would look to build their own stadium. There were a couple reports a few years back about the celtics possibly constructing their own stadium. Let me see if i can find it.

The Jacobs are primarily concessionaires, so they would never sell the building without locking in a very long term deal to keep that end of the business. And that would reduce profits for the new owner to the point that a purchase might be unattractive to an investor.

If I were the Celts and serious about a move, I'd try to find a way to piggyback on to a Convention Center expansion. There is a commonality of disuse: large, empty voids that are used only occasionally and more often than not will sit dark. One use could occur when the other does not; the Celts don't play in the summer; the additional space is needed only for the very largest shows, and is more of a back up to what is there; large shows might welcome potential auditorium space; the floor will hold trade show exhibition space, and for that matter, the space under the stands could be designed for exhibition space too.

But I think the Celts will tough it out where they are. It was hard enough to get the new Garden built.

What's wrong with the Celtics and Bruins sharing the arena as they do now? You (Rifleman) seem to be trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

I recollect that one big problem is that the Jacobs keep all of the concession revenue, Bruins or Celtics playing. The Celts would make their own concession deal in their own building. So the Celts aren't as profitable as they could be, which is the problem. But in this economy, I doubt it is a big enough problem to put up another arena (with the inevitable attempt to tap the public purse.)

The bigger problem is that Jacobs owns the Bruins. Terrible owners. Should sell the team to a Bruins fan, instead of someone that simply capitalizes on the zeal of Boston sports fans.

What's wrong with the Celtics and Bruins sharing the arena as they do now? You (Rifleman) seem to be trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

Tobyjug and Kennedy answered your question. But I will go deeper. I'm pretty sure the city gave the Jacob boys some free land or subsidaries to build TDGarden which was promised to be developed. The city actually thought the Jacobs would make this area booming and instead the area seems to be on a slow death.
When Hooters can't survive in an area of sports maniacs you might want to consider that the planning for this area has become a disaster.
What I see is the Boston Celtics generate most of revenues for the Jacobs. So on a business's side the Celtics are getting screwed.
The real problem Boston is facing is the Mom and POP shops are pretty much gone. That is what creates character for cities. All the landlords in the city want the corporate retails to sign with them.
The cost of doing business in the city is just ridiculous then you get beat down by Menino?s thugs. I really don?t see much change for that area for a long-time.

I can honestly say the Old Garden and North Station area had so much more character.

Back