Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

I've said it before-whatever goes there should echo the facade of the old Garden. There should definitely a 4+ star hotel, dining, and retail. Maybe a parking garage hidden in back. Connect the hotel with the club level of the new Garden, perhaps. ESPN Zone or Lucky Strike aren't bad ideas. Supermarket and cinema would only really work if there were more residences in the direct area, but they would provide competition with the supermarket going in at Greenway Center (if it's ever built). There really do need to be more residences in the Bulfinch Triangle area, but I don't think this parcel would be particularly suited to them.

Aren't the Nashua residences already approved? They're just not getting built I believe

The Old Garden: I don't think it was really salvageable. It had no air conditioning, no elevators, and tons of obstructed-view seats. May and June playoff games occurred in stifling heat and sometimes fog. The power system was unreliable, causing a Bruins playoff game to be cancelled and moved to Montreal. It served us well but I think it stayed around well after its time had passed.

The O'Neill building would be far more tolerable if it had first-floor commercial uses on all sides, like the State Transportation Building. I believe this was the intended plan, and shows somewhat on the fa?ade. I don't know why it wasn't carried through.

sometimes fog

This actually sounds really cool.

The O'Neill building would be far more tolerable if it had first-floor commercial uses on all sides, like the State Transportation Building. I believe this was the intended plan, and shows somewhat on the fa?ade. I don't know why it wasn't carried through.

Security.

Yes it got approved in 2005. Then I believe the developers decided to wait for better conditions. Which makes me ask why they even went through the proposal process in the first place.

They were playing the Oilers in the finals when the power went out. The game was replayed in Edmonton.

The fog did look kind of cool, but Craig Janney passing out on the ice due to heat exhaustion wasn't too cool.

Still, the balcony levels being right on top of the action is missed. And, no matter how loud it gets in there now, it is nothing compared to the old Garden.

Whoops, of course you're right. I don't know how I managed to mis-remember the opponent.

Yes it got approved in 2005. Then I believe the developers decided to wait for better conditions. Which makes me ask why they even went through the proposal process in the first place.

No harm in getting the approval process out of the way, right? Bigger issues when you put the shovel in the dirt and wind up like Filene's.

Hold the phone. I'm late to the game, here, but let me try to add something.

The Nashua Street Residences will go up behind the new Garden. Yes, plans have been approved, the developer was all but ready to put shovel in ground but got cold feet (or was very wise?).

The space in front of the new Garden, facing Causeway Street, will be taken up by hotel / office space / parking or TBD.

So, you can still have the "facade of the Old Garden" if you want it.

At least that's how I remember it.

how can you have something thats long gone? unless you reproduce it!

Unless rents continually rise, construction costs stay flat, and borrowing gets easier I doubt you'll see Nashua St. apartments get started anytime soon.

John is right. The Nashua Street Residences are on air rights that Delaware North purchased from the T on the westerly side of the Garden, not along Causeway Street.

Well, reproducing it is the idea.

I think this story would have been helped if it was longer; there's a lot to talk about.

Stuck in the shadows
Sports fans, residents still await vibrant neighborhood promised when the old El came down

By David Filipov, Globe Staff | June 12, 2010

Tomorrow night, raucous crowds of fans whooping in anticipation of another epic Celtics-Lakers clash will throng to the TD Garden. Projection lights will beam the shamrock-and-leprechaun logo and the ?Beat LA?? battle cry onto the building?s massive fa?ade, as green spotlights rove around the exterior.

But in front of the arena, a nondescript stretch of Causeway Street will confront fans with an imposing fence surrounding a large parking lot. They will bustle along narrow sidewalks into a tiny plaza at the entrance and funnel quickly into a narrow walkway that leads to the entrance to a train station.

Causeway Street has come a long way from the underworld of dank passages and rusted steel that it was before the Central Artery and the elevated Green Line came down.

But the harsh glare of the national sporting limelight has revealed a place that is still a far cry from the thriving thoroughfare of tree-lined walkways, diverse entertainment, and bustling commerce that business owners were hoping would make the street a prime destination when it emerged from the shadows back in 2004 or when the new Garden opened in 1995.

?They?ve made some face lifts, but I think a lot is behind schedule,?? said Peter Colton, owner of The Four?s Boston Restaurant and Sports Bar on adjacent Canal Street.

Have no fear, say city planners. Big improvements are on the way.

?It?s still a place that is emerging from the shadow of the Central Artery,?? said Kairos Shen, Boston?s director of planning. ?But there is a lot of work that has been done that you can?t yet see.??

On a scale model of the city stretched across a large table on the ninth floor of City Hall, Shen indicated wooden blocks that symbolize the projects already approved for construction on and around Causeway Street: a commercial and hotel development on Beverly Street, a residence and retail complex on Haverhill Street; a commercial building near the top of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway; a tower rising from the site of the former Boston Garden.

?We would like to think that as soon as the current economic troubles are over, we will see these properties,?? he said. ?They are basically waiting for money.??

The revitalization is part of a citywide effort to modernize major thoroughfares to help them connect neighborhoods to one another, and to improve access for walkers and bikers to the Greenway.

Ideally, the new Causeway Street would have pedestrian ramps, bike lanes, flower planters, street lamps, and outdoor cafes.

The centerpiece of this future Causeway Street is a plan to revamp the entrance to the TD Garden and North Station.

John Wentzell, president of TD Garden and Delaware North Companies-Boston, which owns the Boston Bruins and the arena, described plans for a space that includes entertainment facilities, retail shops, and eateries.

?That?s part of the ultimate master plan,?? Wentzell said. He would not give a date when this vision might become reality, but said, ?It is active, and it is something we are focused on.??

Wentzell acknowledged that the game-time atmosphere around TD Garden pales in comparison to that of the arena of the Celtics? finals foe. Outside the Staples Center in Los Angeles, sports television and radio stations broadcast from the street. Giant high-definition screens gleam from the facades of buildings around the arena.

By comparison, fans approaching the Garden stop and take pictures at the new statue of Bruins icon Bobby Orr, but no one stays for long. Forming a crowd is discouraged, as Republican gubernatorial candidate Charles D. Baker, who had planned to meet and greet voters in Orr?s shadow Tuesday night, found out. Security officers told his retinue that they had to move. Baker ended up shaking hands on the island in the middle of Causeway Street.

Across Causeway, on the corner of Canal Street, Andrea Ortiz was one of only a few vendors who had temporarily set up shop selling Celtics souvenirs and trinkets. Ortiz, who does much of her business near Fenway Park, normally eschews Celtics and Bruins games.

?People don?t stop usually,?? she said, as she sold a pack of Celtics pens.

Planners and business owners agree that the transformation of the space around parks and arenas from perfunctory cityscapes to popular hangouts does not happen overnight. Yawkey Way and Lansdowne Street are now destinations even when the Red Sox are out of town, but that took years to pull off.

The gradual transformation of Causeway Street parallels the odyssey of The Four?s. Gino MacGregor, who has tended bar there for 30 years, recalls the days when the place was small and dark, like its setting under the shadow on the Green Line. ?More of a bar bar,?? is how he put it.

The arrival of sunlight on Causeway Street has accompanied the growth of The Four?s into a modern sports bar and restaurant with flat screens and outdoor seating. Studded with autographed memorabilia and imbued with local sports history, the venue was named the top sports bar in the country by Sports Illustrated in 2005.

On Tuesday, a pregame crowd spilled into the street and NBA Hall of Famers Charles Barkley and Bill Walton stopped by.

But the place is quiet when the TD Garden is empty, Colton said, a concern echoed by others awaiting the development of the area.

?We had hoped it would be sooner rather than later,?? said Bob O?Brien, executive director of the Downtown North Association. ?The timeline is slower than our expectation, but it is still moving forward.??

O?Brien pointed out a ray of hope across Canal Street from The Four?s, the Archstone Avenir Apartments, erected on a spot where Green Line trains once rumbled. The brick and glass contemporary structure is designed to be evocative of the history of the area.

Most of the units in the apartment building have been sold, O?Brien said, and the retail space spoken for.

Chris Mitzlaff, wearing a Blackhawks jersey during his first visit to Causeway Street this week, recalled seeing the old Garden on television and thinking it reminded him of the way the elevated line snakes around buildings in his native Chicago.

?Now it looks like it?s becoming a neighborhood,?? he said.

Greg Lee and Scott Thurston of the Globe staff contributed to this report. David Filipov can be reached at filipov@globe.com.

?We would like to think that as soon as the current economic troubles are over, we will see these properties,?? he said. ?They are basically waiting for money.??

Dudes waited on their asses during the last decade to build anything, don't give me the "economic troubles" line.

Ideally, the new Causeway Street would have pedestrian ramps, bike lanes, flower planters, street lamps, and outdoor cafes.

Is that really ideal? Whose ideal? Isn't that what we are trying to do to every street? That seems boring.

The gradual transformation of Causeway Street parallels the odyssey of The Four?s. Gino MacGregor, who has tended bar there for 30 years, recalls the days when the place was small and dark, like its setting under the shadow on the Green Line. ?More of a bar bar,?? is how he put it.

It had character. I remember walking under the El as one of my first experiences in Boston and I'll never forget it. Not suggesting that the El was better, it isn't, but why replace character with the same crap we get everywhere? Oh wait, that's all America can do apparently.

It had character. I remember walking under the El as one of my first experiences in Boston and I'll never forget it. Not suggesting that the El was better, it isn't, but why replace character with the same crap we get everywhere? Oh wait, that's all America can do apparently.
And the reason is that folks think salvation comes from this:

Good luck with those ingredients alone; you can get them all at a suburban mall. The questions to ask are: "can you make a great dish out of just spices?" --and: ?where?s the beef??

And that?s in the massing, zoning, and architecture of the buildings, and ?most importantly?their relationship to each other.

That type of bland suburban gingerbread would do nothing to change the antiseptic character of the post-el environment; it would only make it worse.

What is needed is the street to be narrowed to one travel lane in each direction, plus parking lanes, a total of 4 lanes width, with sidewalks that are a bit wide, but not too wide. Then of course, in-fill the resultant additional building space with a vibrant street level of retail, bars, whatever, right up against the sidewalk (no plazas), with office and residential above. This would creat an intimate, lively pedestrian friendly streetscape.

This narrowed street and in-fill model should be implemented in front of the hideous O'Neill building as well as at the vacant North Station parcel. That way there would be a continual street frontage along the north side of a narrowed Causeway Street, all the way from Nashua Street to the Central Artery park.

How to do this without too much "suburban gingerbread":

1997544-The_Yaletown_Brewing_Co_on_Mainland_Street-Vancouver.jpg

78ecbfb1f87399adf813f321f072e1e2_4c6.jpg

Back