Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Bulfinch Triangle"? There's a lot of overlap and cross-postings?

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Bulfinch Triangle"? There's a lot of overlap and cross-postings?

Actually, I think that kz1000ps' latest photos are for Avenir (Nonetheless, thanks for the great shots kz1000ps).

Nashua St, Avenir, and BullFinch seem to all have a big overlap.

Oh, whoops. Yeah I'm a bit confused about which project is which. I'll move the photos to the proper thread.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the proposed North Station Towers? I went back to past forums and posts, and couldn't find anything.

northstationtowers.jpg

That's a good question. And maybe someone can answer whether or not they are the same as these. RichardThomas sent these to me as well. Ric, are these from the late 90's? I would imagine so, since the "Garden" is right next to the off ramp.

boston_garden.jpg

boston_garden_001.jpg

I think they just got canned/ put off for decades. Didn't seem like they were ever TOO serious about it to begin with... which is retarded because there's just an empty lot sitting there that they could make money off of.

Does the first shot still show the hotel madison? I see what looks like a smaller version of the tip Oneil building, but there's nothing between the Oneil and the garden, right? was the madison originally supposed to stay standing?

and now that I mention it, why does the rest of bulfinch triangle, the central artery, and gov't center look like a graveyard? was the original plan to put the poor bastard out of its misery?

That's a good question. And maybe someone can answer whether or not they are the same as these. RichardThomas sent these to me as well. Ric, are these from the late 90's? I would imagine so, since the "Garden" is right next to the off ramp.

boston_garden.jpg

boston_garden_001.jpg

That's a good question. And maybe someone can answer whether or not they are the same as these. sent these to me as well. Ric, are these from the late 90's? I would imagine so, since the "Garden" is right next to the off ramp.

boston_garden.jpg

boston_garden_001.jpg

these were 2 different proposals,the one from the newspaper was proposed 1st in the late 80's and then the other in the early 90's

Last edited:

Does the first shot still show the hotel madison? I see what looks like a smaller version of the tip Oneil building, but there's nothing between the Oneil and the garden, right? was the madison originally supposed to stay standing?

and now that I mention it, why does the rest of bulfinch triangle, the central artery, and gov't center look like a graveyard? was the original plan to put the poor bastard out of its misery?
thats a new tower which is now the 37 story tower at the madison hotel site

Last edited:

thats a new tower which is now the 37 story tower at the madison hotel site
,I always wished they built the earlier version those taller towers,I believe were over 50 stories?

Last edited:

,I always wished they built the earlier version those taller towers,I believe were over 50 stories?

If you are refering to the second Globe image (yellow-tinted), I totally agree. It's amazing to think that there was this vision back in the early 90's. Those towers look amazing, and it would have easily created another downtown area in itself. I am sure it's thanks to the likes of Vivian, Marty, and Shirley that this never happened. And to think what it could have looked like now with the bridge and loss of expressway.

so many lost opportunities... i guess there's a reason for everything though

We lost Boston's only Art Deco neighborhood (Garden, Hotel Manger, Annelex Building) for the Tip, which is the second worst building in Boston (Stone and Webster is the worst in my book) and the Toronto Dominion BankNorth Garden. The loss was more palatable when there was the prospect of those renderings being built. Thanks T-1 for finding the clip.

Thanks T-1 for finding the clip.

It was actually RichardThomas who found the clip, so the thanks should go to him. However, I guess I can take the credit for posting it :)

Fortunately, the whole area is already starting to transform. How soon and how drastic are yet to be determined. Avenir is already in construction, and Nashua St is techincally still planned.

Annalex building was torn down for the Big Dig. It was where the Zakim Bridge incline is now.

The developer team of this project called me for my thoughts, well over a year ago. They were so afraid to start the project. I begged them to do it. I realized the risks, but thought it would eventually be seen as a "slam-dunk" project.

Who knows what would have happened. Would it have been a success, even in this slower market? It still wouldn't be done, today. If it was completed as scheduled, it would come online in 2009, fighting a couple of other high-profile projects (45 Province, The Clarendon) for attention & buyer dollars.

I think they could have made it work. I hope they still do it.

This is just a perfect place for dense, mixed use towers. I am sure eventually something will be done, but I have no patience. I guess that kind of works against me in regards to development in Boston!

I'd like to see development at North Station similar to what's planned at South Station. I'm envisioning a couple of office/residential towers on air-rights over the train platforms (between the Storrow Drive Bridge and the Charles River), plus the Nashua Towers discussed here, and also a dense and tall development on the vacant land at the old North Station building site.

I'd also like to see the Spaulding Hospital demolished to allow a few more rail lines and platforms for increased commuter rail capacity.

North Station currently has two tracks that are not connected to anything, because the Spaulding hospital is in the way.

Back