AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

14716031977_5a08c283be_b.jpg

Im just going to say this ahead of time because it happens every time. Wait until it is finished until you start ripping on this building. People always start off excited when the steel goes up, then half of the cladding goes and some scattered windows and everyone starts bashing it, then it wraps up and it all ties together and people praise it again (except waterside place).

Im just going to say this ahead of time because it happens every time. Wait until it is finished until you start ripping on this building. People always start off excited when the steel goes up, then half of the cladding goes and some scattered windows and everyone starts bashing it, then it wraps up and it all ties together and people praise it again (except waterside place).
This is looking more and more like a sibling of Kensington, with the difference being the Kensington is now largely hidden from view, and this one won't be..

This is looking more and more like a sibling of Kensington, with the difference being the Kensington is now largely hidden from view, and this one won't be..

IMO, the worst parts of Kensington are the cheap/weird top, and the wavy/glassy side. The rest of the building is "bleh", but not "BARF". So if we're covering up most of the "BARF" with more "bleh", it's still a slight win.

IMO, the worst parts of Kensington are the cheap/weird top, and the wavy/glassy side. The rest of the building is "bleh", but not "BARF". So if we're covering up most of the "BARF" with more "bleh", it's still a slight win.

Good assessment.

I'm still holding out hope that I'll like this one. Yeah the precast is stark white and the glass looks pretty low quality but I think the design is solid enough to overcome the iffy execution.

fingers crossed on this one because we dont really need to ugly ass buildings next to each other here.

14965366832_9cc1ba0e34_b.jpg

Note how the corners of the precast are actually angled out a bit

14779026670_48e570ff38_b.jpg

14965700625_74c249e40e_b.jpg

14965699465_27aa96225b_b.jpg

14965359562_5e9a3378cf_b.jpg

14779022070_f18e8e9cbc_b.jpg

So, has everyone here officially gone bipolar and gone to hate mode? I like the shape of this building and I think it fills the space really well. I wish I could find the 10 stages of Ab love / hate on a project that was posted here a few years ago.

I don't hate it, and I think it will turn out okay. But it could have been really great, and it doesn't look like that will happen.

I like it so far and am waiting until it is finished for my opinion of whether its good or bad.

I usually know if I will like a tower or not pretty quickly once the facade starts rising. That said, I don't have a concrete opinion on this one yet.

I appreciate the massing and facade treatment for being relatively unique for the city- but I think they still could have been done better.

Back