AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

^ Archstone Boston Common, nee Park Essex. And I agree, the glass is a step above the norm and grabs my eye way more than the precast when standing there in person.

I am liking the way this plays against the Jacob Wirth building and the Dill Building (Boston Hostel). It is rather a fun contrast.

15688267131_6603146a0b_c.jpg

That is simply God-awful. It looks like a poor man's aping of Frank Gehry.

brainhealth5.jpg

I like how it looks like it's two separate buildings, both of which I like!

Has the feel of a "poor-man's Macallen Building and Philly's PSFS building" combined together into one more kinda cheap looking condo tower....

Hmm, the quality and transparency of the glass in the horizontal band portion really helps it achieve the image of floating floorplates. Dare I say, I might actually like it better than the other side.

Hmm, the quality and transparency of the glass in the horizontal band portion really helps it achieve the image of floating floorplates. Dare I say, I might actually like it better than the other side.
My objection to the horizontal band wing is not the horizontal plane, but the lack of a seam makes it appear the annex is 'falling' into the other building. IMO, one wouldn't need a seam if the other building's east facade were also a horizontal band. That way, the west facades would be as now, with a vertical plane, the south and north facades with a glass wall as transition, and the east facades the ribbon bands.

I'll wait to see the finished entrance, but I also object to the building taking no cues from Jacob Wirth.

092812stuart.jpg

I believe this was the original, ...before yin and yang.

4a55a5aec7_ltp_stuart07302008.jpg

I'll wait to see the finished entrance, but I also object to the building taking no cues from Jacob Wirth.

I think the waviness is a cue this takes from JW - ultimately, of course, we'll just have to wait and see...

I wish the crown had a little more going for it. Overall it's a solid building design-wise. I'm hoping the parking garage glass curtain ends up looking good...

On a different note, anyone notice there is no ramp between floors in the garage area (or I just haven't noticed it). Car lift?

I wish the crown had a little more going for it. Overall it's a solid building design-wise. I'm hoping the parking garage glass curtain ends up looking good...

On a different note, anyone notice there is no ramp between floors in the garage area (or I just haven't noticed it). Car lift?

Car lift/elevator garage -- valet parking only. Correct.

Wish the architect took an organic approach to massing. Still, looks better than most of these new Kardashian assed buildings.

Wish the architect took an organic approach to massing. Still, looks better than most of these new Kardashian assed buildings.

You are being too kind to these buildings.

I for one really like this and I like the massing.

What do you mean by "organic?"

Back