15448809899_4bc8832cb8_b.jpg

15636290982_58c77c79df_b.jpg

15015270343_e3d9ca6ee4_b.jpg

15635443275_a41152f742_b.jpg

15611717176_dbca810d76_b.jpg

15448795869_d3a9a3e6f7_b.jpg

15448782199_e7ef839253_b.jpg

15448768659_7da22b787d_b.jpg

Isn't that helicopter the MedFlight chopper that's always flying into MGH?

This thing may look cool at night, and I should probably reserve judgement until its finished, but the daylight views of this thing are just nothing special to me. The side with the horizontal glass windows looks kinda cool, but I'm just not really a big fan of the vertical windows against the whitish color of the precast panels on the other side.

kz thanks as always for your awesome picture tours, you took a TON on this one.

I was waiting to see how I feel about this but I think it's safe to say now I really like this building. All the different elements work really well. It could be the pictures; always have to see it in person for a final judgement. But I really like how it's come together.

^ Thirded. I've been thinking this will be a solid B, maybe even a B+ ever since I saw that one high res rendering, and now that it's almost done I'll go ahead and give myself a pat on the back for calling it. I don't love it or anything but I do like it, and the jumble-y nature of the shape and varying facades somehow seems to work.

Same here. I especially like the views where the horizontal banded section is hidden, like in KZ's 2nd and 3rd shots above. In fact I'd like the whole building even more if the horizontal section were absent altogether. Or if they had just made that part about six stories shorter so that the vertically oriented part could stand visually more on its own from other angles.

The view of this one when one is standing across the street from the State Transportation Building is a solid B+. It's got a decent take on the International style glass (a la Lever House) with the green not ending up garish like the Kensington in the background. The super order windows and the masonry walls give a nice nod to the Deco towers that Boston sorely lacks.

However, the views where the ribbon windows are visible are a C/C- in my book. It's a building that is straight out of the 70s or 80s in some midwestern city.

The ribbon-windowed appendage reminds me of a galactic collision. Too many conflicting planes in this building for it to succeed as a whole. (KZ, thanks again for your pix.)

mirrorimage.jpg

However, the views where the ribbon windows are visible are a C/C- in my book. It's a building that is straight out of the 70s or 80s in some midwestern city.

The ribbon effect reminds me of the Devonshire downtown (1983), which I find singularly banal.

And I always thought the ribbon windowed part looked like the billions of towers put up in the late '70s/early '80s all over New York City, such as this one that Charlie Sheen's character in Wall Street moved into once he was swimming in cash:

3wqekc.jpg

Still not a fan. It looks much better than it did before now that the glass is mostly in, but I can't get over the color.

I don't mind it overall. I just think it's unfortunate that it looks so flat. I've said this for pretty much every new development, but there's just no depth to the facade. I hate this new flat face bland box trend created from the increasing pressures of VE.

This picture illustrates a facade with depth vs no depth very well:

I'm not saying it should have as much depth and detailing as the brick building (it's expensive), but a little something to give the facade some dimension and shadow would really help solidify it.

I don't mind it overall. I just think it's unfortunate that it looks so flat. I've said this for pretty much every new development, but there's just no depth to the facade. I hate this new flat face bland box trend created from the increasing pressures of VE.

I'm not saying it should have as much depth and detailing as the brick building (it's expensive), but a little something to give the facade some dimension and shadow would really help solidify it.

datadyne, I think that your observation is spot in.

I think this is why I like the recent work by ADD (One Greenway, The Troy, 315 on A) so much better.

^ Lol wrong thread. This thread is for Jacob Wirth. I know... too many Avalons in this city!

The ribbon window actually has a bit of depth. I think the glass looks really good. Wish this one was about 200' taller.

Agreed. It looks like cardboard.

I think some of you would like this better if you concentrated more on the glass than the facade itself. The glass is what sets this one apart from the Kensington and the original one in the area with the crown and tail. (not sure the name at this point)

Back