AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

I think it is a little too stretched in that picture I think it would look best if the vertical window section was about another 100 feet.

Oh, hi.

VfyQckM.jpg

It would look better if it were taller... Those multi floor strip windows always seem to make shorter buildings look stumpy. On the other hand I think it's a solid effort and I really like the other side with the floating floor horizontal strip windows.

Funny they finally have a leasing sign up. Seems like they've been struggling to get the marketing packages together.

They've already started leasing of the lower floors with first move-ins scheduled in a couple of months (construction schedule pending). When my boyfriend and I last visited their leasing offices, they had a goal of opening floors as they finish them while opening all amenity spaces, including the roof deck, on the very first day. Prices were slightly higher than we were looking for (~$2300 for a ~450 sq ft studio), but I'd say it's reasonable for the location.

I'm really interested to see the end result at street level once they have all the glass on the podium installed.

Hmmm. Asymmetrical window bay placement (I don't know if there's a specific term for it) has been a big thing with recent developments around the city...I just don't get the aesthetic appeal. There are plenty of ways to work with scale without becoming monotonous, but random-looking layouts like this just don't look good to me. I dunno, the eye doesn't have anything to focus on due to the lack of any pattern, or something. Just a personal opinion, but I wish the exterior had been designed differently.

Quite possibly the worst banner I've ever seen in the city. You want to attract wealthy buyers you don't put up a banner that looks like it belongs on the Tampa Bay Rays stadium.

But those bright colors and bold fonts! It hits the "young and hip" demographic Avalon is craving!

Now that this is done, I have to say I really only like it when approaching it on Stuart from the west, and one can only see the vertical facade treatment. It's too much of a mishmash for me otherwise.

That last photo with the banner makes it look like someone photoshopped a photo of a taller tower and cropped the top off. Where's the rest of it?

That last photo with the banner makes it look like someone photoshopped a photo of a taller tower and cropped the top off. Where's the rest of it?

The rest is in Manhattan; they copy-pasted the bottom 27 floors from 30 Rock Ctr and ran it through a blur and pixelate filter in Photoshop.

It sure is taking them long enough to close off the friggin front

It is what it is, a semi-glorified garage entrance. As they ignored every design cue from its neighbors, they clearly expect the buildings to the west and to the corner to come down, and something taller and better to replace them.

i walked by it the other night, it's the complete opposite of human scale, the entry "canopy" is so big and high up that it's almost uncomfortable. We'll see if it's any better once the scaffolding is down and it's complete.

Back