AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Re: Jacob Wirth's

How is the food at Jacob Wirth's? (As in, how does it compare to other areas of the country that have a significant german population... or germany) I get a hankering for some schnitzel every once and a while and its really the only place around, but its singularity and touristy feel have turned me off from trying it thusofar.

The food is decent, but it's no match for what they used to serve at the Wursthaus in Harvard Square. That said, it's actually not all that touristy in spite of the location. And as others have said, there's a very good beer list, particularly if you like central European brews.

How is that CBT has no real renderings of this on their site, yet it's suppose to break ground soon?

I do like the density that is being created in this area. Again, it's not overwhelming as far as design or height, but still nice to see.

I do like the density that is being created in this area. Again, it's not overwhelming as far as design or height, but still nice to see.

Yep. Not every, probably not most, building needs to be a star. If it fills in vacant space, brings people to the street, it achieves much of what we need. It can blend in for the most part, yet still benefits the neighborhood.

Anyone see any real diagram of this building? What I have seen looks like shit.

I snapped this picture on Saturday afternoon. Since they haven't "officially" started construction yet, do we call this "site prep???"

picture.php

Can hardly wait for another fat stump to "pierce" Boston's fair skyline

I snapped this picture on Saturday afternoon. Since they haven't "officially" started construction yet, do we call this "site prep???"

picture.php

If I were to go update my Wikipedia database on projects right now, yes -- I would call this "prep".

It isn't construction until they start inserting things in a hole. (Get your mind out of the gutter! :rolleyes:)

If I were to go update my Wikipedia database on projects right now, yes -- I would call this "prep".

It isn't construction until they start inserting things in a hole. (Get your mind out of the gutter! :rolleyes:)

Isn't that also the definition of foreplay!

Before you start inserting things in a hole, you better damn well have approval.

hmmm calling digsafe = trip to 7-11 for a 3 pack?

Foundation permit was issued yesterday morning.

Going through the most recent major projects, I can't find anybody applying for and receiving a "foundation only" permit. Is this typical?

You might apply for a foundation permit if you want to start right away but don't have all your ducks in a row for the building permit.
We've done that with demo permits in the past.

You might apply for a foundation permit if you want to start right away but don't have all your ducks in a row for the building permit.
We've done that with demo permits in the past.

Thanks for the insight. This is the kind of stuff I find fascinating.

If I can ask a couple more dumb questions.

What kind of "ducks in a row" would they be working on during this stage? Would they actually still be in the stage of designing the building? How could they build a foundation if the plans for what goes on the foundation aren't complete?

Or is it more a matter of awarding material/construction contracts and getting your construction managers/contractors on board?

You don't have to have the building fully designed to pull a building permit. You could have a "permit set" that is not the same as construction documents, which are much more detailed.
So, for example, you might know the massing, location of the column lines, layout of all the units, etc. but not have the fire protection plans done. Your fire protection engineer says he needs a couple more weeks to finish up those plans. So you pull the foundation plan (which doesn't require any fire protection) and start digging. You know that the foundation is going to take 6 weeks so if the fire protection guy is really only a couple weeks from being ready, his delay won't impact your schedule.
At this point Avalon almost certainly has chosen a General Contractor. But they probably haven't agreed to a GMP yet (assuming this is a guaranteed maximum price contract). They've got budget numbers but they probably won't sign a contract with a GMP until the CDs are substantially complete. The GC and architect are working together to finalize the plans based on their impact on the budget.

Do the architects on this Board agree?

You don't have to have the building fully designed to pull a building permit. You could have a "permit set" that is not the same as construction documents, which are much more detailed.
So, for example, you might know the massing, location of the column lines, layout of all the units, etc. but not have the fire protection plans done. Your fire protection engineer says he needs a couple more weeks to finish up those plans. So you pull the foundation plan (which doesn't require any fire protection) and start digging. You know that the foundation is going to take 6 weeks so if the fire protection guy is really only a couple weeks from being ready, his delay won't impact your schedule.
At this point Avalon almost certainly has chosen a General Contractor. But they probably haven't agreed to a GMP yet (assuming this is a guaranteed maximum price contract). They've got budget numbers but they probably won't sign a contract with a GMP until the CDs are substantially complete. The GC and architect are working together to finalize the plans based on their impact on the budget.

Do the architects on this Board agree?

Pretty close. In general ... you can pull permits for different parts of the construction process. If they are pouring foundations the project is likely fully designed and the "ducks" to be getting in "a row" will be detailing issues. If there is a part of the building that is not fully designed it would likely be the interior fit-out which can lag behind if there are a fair amount of early packages (i.e. foundation/steel/enclosure/elevators). Also ... if there is a GMP delivery system ... their is a Construction Manager involved. If it is a bid project ... there might be a General Contractor. Eh ... its all semantics.

cca

Yes, but you need the approval of all the nimbys too

Yea but in order for the NIMBYs to be happy, they want to put things in your hole...which results in lots of showers, crying, and value-engineering.

Back