Battery Wharf | North End | Waterfront

Re: Battery Wharf

I am a new member of archboston, and actually live at Battery Wharf. If anyone has any questions, happy to provide my insights. My only comment at the moment is that the outside is much more impressive that the interiors, I would love to have the architects over to show them some of the inefficient use of space and design problems in our unit.

Welcome panagnos! I hope your time with us is fruitful. I never fail to learn something new from this wonderful group of people. I hope you'll find creative solutions to your design issues....

Ousted developer sues Battery Wharf lender

By Kimberly Blanton
Globe Staff / September 11, 2008

The deposed developer of the luxury Battery Wharf project on Boston's waterfront sued the project's lender yesterday for stripping his firm of its $45 million investment in the condominium and hotel complex.

The lawsuit filed by Harold Theran's development company in US District Court in Boston alleges that the lender, an AFL-CIO pension trust, charged "usurious" interest rates for an additional $12.2 million financing a year ago to pay for cost overruns to continue construction. The lender used the terms of the loan to remove Theran as the developer of the complex and make him a consultant instead. The consulting arrangement ended in June.

The suit alleges the rates on the pension fund's new loan - 25 percent - combined with delays approving work by the pension fund caused the debts on the project to pile up, amounting to an intentional "loan-to-own scheme" that effectively wipes out Theran's equity in the $300 million-plus project.

"I'm very sad it has come to this. Filing suit was the last thing we wanted, but we were left with no other choice," Theran said through a spokeswoman, Justine Griffin.

The lender, the AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust, did not return calls seeking comment. Also named in the suit are PNC Bank and PNC Realty Investors Inc., which are trustees and advisers to the AFL-CIO pension fund.

Fred Solomon, a spokesman for the parent company, PNC Financial Services Group Inc., declined to comment on the complaint because he has not seen it yet.

"We remain fully committed to the project, which as a result of our efforts over the past year, is now nearing completion," he said.

Battery Wharf is one of many super-deluxe residential complexes to come to downtown Boston, although it appears to be more star-crossed than others that have already been finished and opened to acclaim. The sales slogan is "utopia engineered" and was intended to convey the world-class amenities and services awaiting those willing to shell out $1 million to $4 million for a unit.

The complex includes a hotel, marina, parking garage, and shops, and developers promised residents of the 104 condos concierge and room service and other amenities from the adjacent hotel. In a June letter to residents, Theran said a hotel would open in the fall. However, Regent Hotels & Resorts left in July as the hotel operator, and Battery Wharf has yet to disclose a replacement. A restaurant and a spa planned for the complex have not opened.

So far 45 of the condos have been sold and closed on, with some residents living there now, while another 13 units are under agreement, according to developers.

Jon Gollinger, president of Accelerated Marketing Partners in Boston, which auctions troubled condo projects, predicted some of the buyers will try to renege on their purchase agreements because so many of the promised services are not available.

"Buyers will look for any angle to force a conversation about getting their deposit back and walking from the deal," Gollinger said. "It's happening all over the country."

The suit also includes other allegations the lender blocked Theran from taking steps to reduce the project's rapidly mounting debts and protect his company's investment. For example, Theran said he found a buyer for the hotel who agreed to pay $85 million. But after initially agreeing to that price, the suit said, the AFL-CIO fund and PNC "changed their minds."

Theran also contends the delays cost the project sales of condos and "interfered with" his efforts to obtain low-rate financing from the City of Boston that he would have used to pay down a portion of the high-cost loans.

Kimberly Blanton can be reached at blanton@globe.com.

LINK

Should anyone care about this? Will it delay the opening in any way?

Should anyone care about this? Will it delay the opening in any way?
The Regent hotel chain has backed out, and I believe they were to offer concierge services to the condo owners. And I don't know about the restaurant that was to be operated by the Michelin-starred French chef.

Last edited:

It's interesting (but perhaps, irrelevant) that the two waterfront hotel - condo projects (Battery Wharf and the InterContinental) have both suffered a bit in sales.

Battery Wharf has higher prices than the InterContinental, I believe, but otherwise share some similarities, in that they have multiple uses (hotels, condos, restaurants).

The appeal of being on the Waterfront may be limited.

Waterfront project signs hotel chain

Fairmont stepping in at Battery Wharf location

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | September 18, 2008

A premier global hotel chain, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, has signed on to manage a 150-room hotel at the Battery Wharf development on Boston's waterfront, delivering a critical boost to the $300 million project following the departure of a previous hotel operator.

Fairmont's arrival provides a signature name to the project as well as the promise of delivering the high-end concierge services the developers used to market the complex's multimillion-dollar condos to buyers.

The company replaces Regent Hotels & Resorts, which left the project after a falling out with the developers. Regent's departure left the project without a luxury name needed to pitch its package of amenities to ultra-rich condo buyers. About 62 units were sold or under agreement when Regent departed, and the numbers remain about the same today, executives said.

But the Fairmont deal is a shot of good news for the project and for the city as tremendous turmoil in financial markets threatens to undermine projects from the Back Bay to the South Boston Waterfront. Tourism and real estate professionals said Fairmont's involvement will erase concerns that Battery Wharf lost its cachet after Regent's unceremonious exit.

"The most difficult part of this project was the uncertainty in this type of market," said Debra Taylor Blair, president of Listing Information Network Inc. "The fact that this brand is going in there will clear the air of future what-ifs."

Regent left abruptly in June because of "philosophical differences" that arose with Battery Wharf's developers, according to a statement issued by the parties.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino welcomed Fairmont's arrival yesterday, calling the hotel a critical link in the ongoing development of the waterfront in the North End. "They've had so many false starts on the hotel flag, so it's a positive sign that Fairmont is making the decision to locate there," he said.
An executive involved in the development said Regent's departure delayed the planned fall opening of the hotel by a few months. The hotel, to be called Fairmont Battery Wharf, is now expected to open in December.

"In the long run, it will be well worth the wait," said Kevin McCarthy, president of PNC Realty Investors, which is the trustee of an AFL-CIO pension fund invested in the project. "Fairmont is a world-class operator of luxury hotels."

McCarthy said about half of Battery Wharf's 105 condos have been sold or are under agreement. The condos are priced between $1 million and $4 million.

Fairmont is owned by Fairmont Raffles Hotels International, which operates 91 hotels worldwide and is proceeding with plans to develop 25 new locations from Morocco to Shanghai. The company also operates the Fairmont Copley Hotel in Boston's Back Bay as well as The Plaza in New York City.

Paul S. Tormey, regional vice president for Fairmont, said the company quickly became interested in Battery Wharf after Regent left. "The views are spectacular, it has easy access to the airport, and it's within walking distance of the financial district," he said. "It checks all the boxes for us."

The hotel at Battery Wharf will be spread among three buildings and will include a lounge with harbor views and 6,000 square feet of meeting space.

It will also feature a restaurant designed in consultation with three-star Michelin chef Guy Martin.

Hotel rooms will feature a large work area, marble baths, and high-end audio and television systems.

Battery Wharf still faces controversy. Last week, the property's original developer, Harold Theran, filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging the project's main lender, the AFL-CIO pension trust, charged him "usurious" interest rates in a scheme to wipe out his equity and take control of the project. The lender used the terms of the loan to remove Theran as developer and make him a consultant instead. That arrangement ended in June.

McCarthy, the AFL-CIO fund representative, said the legal battle will not cause further delays for Battery Wharf. "The dispute will have no bearing on the success of this project," he said.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/09/18/waterfront_project_signs_hotel_chain/

Great hotel chain. I just stayed at their Chateau Frontenac (sp?) in Quebec City. This is a good signing.

I'd rather they signed at Filenes...

At least there isn't a hole in the ground here.

As a member of the Hotel industry i think this is great news.The fairmont is a good chain. Keep it up boston. We need more hotel rooms here. Although I think Fairmount at Filenes would have been a great name.

Make room for Fairmont
Luxury hotel to open on Battery Wharf in uncertain time for hospitality industry

The struggle to bring a luxury hotel to Boston's Battery Wharf comes to an end with a grand opening on Monday, right in the middle of the worst recession since World War II.

It's a tough moment to open a new hotel. According to national hospitality firm PKF Consulting Inc., Greater Boston hotels will suffer a 6.5 percent drop in 2009 revenue per available room, a key measure of hotel success. Despite challenging times, the new Fairmont Battery Wharf, with daily room rates starting above $400, won't be scaling back on services or amenities even though travelers are clamping down on expenses.

"You have one chance to position a hotel," said hotel general manager Matthew Sterne. "That's what we're doing."

the rest is here: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/12/13/make_room_for_fairmont/

more prime space taken up by another hotel......such a shame

hyperbole alert: but in 20 years people who visit Boston are not going to have anything to do except visit other hotels

Boston has a shortage of hotels but the real estate market is down. And yes, "prime space" is often taken by hotels. Guests in cities have different expectations than homeowners or even many businesses - namely, that they won't have to commute to be near the city center.

Go to the center of any city in the world and you will see hotel after hotel after hotel.

There is a nice museum that recently opened up at Battery Wharf, worthwhile to check out if you're in the area. I walked by last night and noticed that Sensing was doing some decent business, only based on the number of people I saw eating al fresco on their outdoor patio.

Also, I looked at the available floorplans and it seems as though they are only a little more than 50% sold out at this point. Sales must be going very slow. Although the activity seems to be picking up at Battery Wharf lately.

So in light of all the cruddy projects going up I thought back to this project and how much I loved it as it was going up, and I figured it was time to go back and see how it's doing, five years down the road.

9061231942_476af26c64_b.jpg

9058998999_766f0b45c6_b.jpg

9058987315_effdfbdd1c_b.jpg

9058981485_90aa9d55fd_b.jpg

9058976055_59d06e3a8a_b.jpg

9058951891_06a22174fe_b.jpg

9058937049_11db0103dd_b.jpg

9061155622_6c6b590dbc_b.jpg

9058908165_5518d748e1_b.jpg

9058900263_735c9e080f_b.jpg

9058889765_7b599758d7_b.jpg

9058883841_eae3d5b8db_b.jpg

9061089034_25b98eaec3_b.jpg

9061097984_d5b1b6a1e3_b.jpg

Love that they're flying the Bruins flag. This development is top notch.

I am a fan of Battery Wharf too. One odd observance: there's never anyone down there. There's a beautiful public harborwalk and I never see anyone on it. And it never feels like the hotel or residences are full.

^ Yes, the place still looks like it couldn't be more than half full. But the valet area has always appeared busy, and the Harborwalk was bustling with joggers when I was there around 9 in the morning.

But now you've got me thinking about this set of pics and how virtually no people appear in them, so let's (e)rectify that problem :D

9061119890_2751cb5090_b.jpg

I am a fan of Battery Wharf too. One odd observance: there's never anyone down there. There's a beautiful public harborwalk and I never see anyone on it. And it never feels like the hotel or residences are full.

I walked through there on a beautiful 70* day and noticed the same thing. Beautiful area, and it's almost post apocalyptic. Other then at the valet, the only people I saw were window washers.

Although glancing at the above pic, maybe I just have to get out more. Or do yoga.

Back