Battery Wharf | North End | Waterfront

Re: Battery Wharf

So I was biking on battery wharf the other day, and a staff (?hotel) employee asked me to walk my bike - the specific place this occurred was the very end of the driveway, almost at the harborwalk. Truth be told, it probably is technically private property right there... but I am wondering, if they tried to say the same thing while I was on the Harborwalk, could they? Is it a public right of way for bikes?

So I was biking on battery wharf the other day, and a staff (?hotel) employee asked me to walk my bike - the specific place this occurred was the very end of the driveway, almost at the harborwalk. Truth be told, it probably is technically private property right there... but I am wondering, if they tried to say the same thing while I was on the Harborwalk, could they? Is it a public right of way for bikes?

FK -- i believe that the Harbor[WALK] is similar to a side[WALK] both are designed for human perambulation including when said perambulators are propelling vehicles for very junior humans and also when accompanied by one or more canine perambulators -- bicycles are only part of the equation on sidewalks when they are being walked

FK -- i believe that the Harbor[WALK] is similar to a side[WALK] both are designed for human perambulation including when said perambulators are propelling vehicles for very junior humans and also when accompanied by one or more canine perambulators -- bicycles are only part of the equation on sidewalks when they are being walked

The Harborwalk welcomes cyclists: http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/thingstodo/?aid=2

Also, their website states this about Battery Wharf in the "What's New" section (the website is very old):
North End
Battery Wharf: Battery Wharf on the North End waterfront is fast becoming one of the most popular HarborWalk segments on the waterfront. Opened in 2009, the site features a pocket maritime museum, a 24-hour, second-floor observation deck, a water transportation pavilion, and an enhanced HarborWalk with interpretive signage, free binoculars, outside terrace dining, and free public restrooms. The wharf is also home to the upscale Fairmont Battery Wharf Hotel and Aragosta Restaurant. The Boston Harbor Association was the primary advocacy group for the construction of the public amenities, including the observation deck and the new maritime museum, which offers a 1,100-square foot exhibition space featuring fascinating maritime and Coast Guard history, during the Chapter 91 tidelands licensing process.

The museum, observation deck, and restrooms are open to the public free of charge. The water transportation pavilion provides a very attractive waiting area for water taxi service to Logan Airport and other Harbor-side locations, and there is nearly 300 feet of dock space at the site.

Note the public art on display along the HarborWalk, exterior of the water transportation pavilion, and retail spaces from the 2011 Flash Forward Festival. The works of art by emerging contemporary New England photographers are on display through Fall, 2011.

http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/about_harborwalk/whatsnew/

It says nothing about limited cycling on the Battery Wharf Harborwalk segment itself.

Last edited:

^ I had actually looked over the Harborwalk website, but noticed that they dont explicitly spell out what the right of way entails - they do welcome cyclists, but they also note specific segments and Battery Wharf isnt one of them. I imagine that cyclists are welcome anywhere, but it may or may not be "officially" written into the right of way... in any case, Im pretty sure the location where they guy asked me to not ride was on private land... now the real question is, is the private end of the road, names "Battery Wharf", itself a public right of way that cuts across private land, or not? I would probably thumb my nose at the "rule" one way or another, because it's unreasonable, but if the hotel there is actually violating the easement they should be granting to cyclists, that's another matter altogether...

Back