Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

230 Stuart is one of the South Cove Plaza affordable housing buildings. I don't see redevelopment in the cards there for quite some time.

Everything along this stretch of Stuart gets height capped due to shadows on the Common/Public Garden (you are due south of the parks).

A better building to redevelop in my opinion is the Revere Hotel and Garage monstrosity. But current owners have spent a lot of money on upgrades, so I don't see that in the cards either.

I feel like this is an appropriate question in context to this development (as well as everything new in the Seaport) - why are so many developers going with gray bricks on the sidewalks around their projects?

When I think of Boston sidewalks in some of the quintessentially Boston neighborhoods (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End), they have RED brick sidewalks.

I'm glad to see this project incorporate more red brick.

Everything new in the Seaport has gray brick and it feels different than other areas of Boston.

I feel like this is an appropriate question in context to this development (as well as everything new in the Seaport) - why are so many developers going with gray bricks on the sidewalks around their projects?

When I think of Boston sidewalks in some of the quintessentially Boston neighborhoods (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End), they have RED brick sidewalks.

I'm glad to see this project incorporate more red brick.

Everything new in the Seaport has gray brick and it feels different than other areas of Boston.

It's like cobblestone, without the lumpiness. If they used cobblestone, none of the women in high heels shown in the renders would be able to walk. ( I'm not sure how many of you have experienced the glory of wearing heels on cobblestone, but it's a very difficult task)

It's like cobblestone, without the lumpiness. If they used cobblestone, none of the women in high heels shown in the renders would be able to walk. ( I'm not sure how many of you have experienced the glory of wearing heels on cobblestone, but it's a very difficult task)

Years ago I was in an Urban Planning class at MIT, and the professor was showing off one of the new projects he worked on around the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market Area -- "quaint historical context" cobblestone crosswalks to delineate the crosswalk area better.

One of my classmates asked why, in all the pictures, the pedestrians were all avoiding walking on the crosswalks, and were walking around in the street instead. The prof was completely flummoxed.

Pedestrian and accessibility advocates all ask for smooth crosswalks. If they want to use decorative elements on the edge, that's fine, but the main walking surface should be completely smooth (usually asphalt.)

Oh, honey, you're too late.

20170815_152151-e1502834940128.jpg

About this, though. Handout says a ZBA hearing was today. Anyone happen to attend?

Also, for those of you who say nothing ever gets done in our city, this proposal went from being submitted last December to being approved by BPDA within six months, and is getting its other approvals as we speak. We never get anything done, but sometimes we do.

Details on approval: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...y-approvals/tnLuyV0nAudDWaPHtUJAUM/story.html

^^once up, will 212 Stuart appear too big, too bold or inappropriate for that block?

not in the slightest.

will this lead to a 'swell' of proposals that will negatively change the character of our historic neighborhoods?

no.

there's not enough parcels that would ever pass muster for redevelopment.

what few parcels that would be available, won't support height.

Last edited:
Oh, honey, you're too late.

20170815_152151-e1502834940128.jpg

About this, though. Handout says a ZBA hearing was today. Anyone happen to attend?

Also, for those of you who say nothing ever gets done in our city, this proposal went from being submitted last December to being approved by BPDA within six months, and is getting its other approvals as we speak. We never get anything done, but sometimes we do.

Details on approval: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...y-approvals/tnLuyV0nAudDWaPHtUJAUM/story.html

From the video, looks like ZBA voted to approve.

Any building that blocks views of the revere hotel is a win in my book.

That hotel looks like it was pulled straight out of one of the apartment towers along revere beach.

Any building that blocks views of the revere hotel is a win in my book.

That hotel looks like it was pulled straight out of one of the apartment towers along revere beach.

Too bad they can't implode the Revere.

The Revere is truly egregious.

Next up; drill through the 2 garages and build new hotel space as tall as the revised Shadow Law allows.

The Revere is truly egregious.

Next up; drill through the 2 garages and build new hotel space as tall as the revised Shadow Law allows.

Motormart could make a remarkable pedestal for something tall

^ common/garden shadow laws dont allow any height at all, especially here. Its too bad they could have gutted it like the hearst tower and really made something special.

A local paper (Boston Sun I believe) is reporting that the variances for 212 Stuart Street have been appealed by an abutter. The legal threshold to justify variances is extremely high. A litigant who has the motivation (and most importantly the legal standing) has a very strong case. The courts could easily render the variances void if the case actually moves forward.

I like what stuart st is turning into. It used to be the crappier way to get downtown vs boylston now its really holding its own. Plus it ends right at south station with 1 greenway which is great then a few more are going to fill in there and sst will be the finish line. Its great compared to the bastard child it once was.

I was gonna post a render saw it has been posted n then just commented. No biggie.

Back